Author Topic: Spore might be overly addictive.  (Read 5678 times)

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spore might be overly addictive.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 12:41:14 am »
...will be here chatting with the pirates waiting for someone to hack the securom.

lol... then they will talk to nobody, cause that securom version is already hacked. one day before the official release of mass effect in the states was the first hack in the www... so guess how effective it is.. :/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:04:50 am by KL0k »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 12:48:46 am »
I think casual 3D games in particular work out to be addicting. If it being addicted doesn't bother you  though, don't worry about the boards being empty. The people who can't afford it just yet or are waiting for more info on how good it is will be here chatting with the pirates waiting for someone to hack the securom.

Right.

Anyway, someone will be here keeping a candle burning and a conversation going.

Any game can become addicting. Look at people who are addicted to computer Solitaire or Mahjong or even Tetris. All of those have no special 3D graphics yet they can be more addicting than any fancy graphic video game.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 01:14:22 am »
I think casual 3D games in particular work out to be addicting. If it being addicted doesn't bother you  though, don't worry about the boards being empty. The people who can't afford it just yet or are waiting for more info on how good it is will be here chatting with the pirates waiting for someone to hack the securom.

Right.

Any game can become addicting. Look at people who are addicted to computer Solitaire or Mahjong or even Tetris. All of those have no special 3D graphics yet they can be more addicting than any fancy graphic video game.

Pong or Pacman were addictive in my mind, like Space invaders. The formula is fancy graphics cut down on how addictive it becomes. I wouldn't have guessed people were addicted to Solitaire or even Tetris. But on a different note, I think WoW could be an example, the graphics are only so so yet it's easy to become addicted to. Maplestory is 2D and Runescape etc, but MMOs are just easier to become addicted to. Spore doesn't fit into those kinds of areas. Simcity wasn't exactly addictive. The sims might have been.

And @ Kl0ck, the same version they're planning to use in Spore? I think you mean the base(recent) version, because I understood some modifications would need to be made with every new game as they slightly modify each version to each game. Plus they can't use the mass effect exe to play spore... ah forget it I know what you mean.
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 02:44:12 am »

Right.

Pong or Pacman were addictive in my mind, like Space invaders. The formula is fancy graphics cut down on how addictive it becomes. I wouldn't have guessed people were addicted to Solitaire or even Tetris. But on a different note, I think WoW could be an example, the graphics are only so so yet it's easy to become addicted to. Maplestory is 2D and Runescape etc, but MMOs are just easier to become addicted to. Spore doesn't fit into those kinds of areas. Simcity wasn't exactly addictive. The sims might have been.

Well most of the people I have seen adicted to those games are of the baby boomer generations. My dad loves Tetris to death. As a little kid Sim City and other earily maxis games like sim life, sim farm and sim earth were addicting to me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:46:07 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28:41 am »
Well most of the people I have seen adicted to those games are of the baby boomer generations. My dad loves Tetris to death. As a little kid Sim City and other earily maxis games like sim life, sim farm and sim earth were addicting to me.

I'm not a Baby Boomer and I play Solitaire all the time. My high score is something like 12610 in 61 seconds.

Any game can be addicting, but I think Spore will be particularly so, especially to children.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 03:53:09 pm »
I agree that a separate board would be best, with each poster getting a thread on that board. You could make the initial post and edit it with any new additions, so page 1 you could see all the creatures/buildings/tanks/UFS etc of that poster, then the pages thereafter would be for comments.

It would give us a focused area to post our "look what I made" comments, allow a central area for commenting, as well as a way for us to give direct links to our content for anyone looking to manually seed their worlds with a specific user's content.

You could have a sticky post at the top of this forum explaining the rules of the board, as well as a link the GamingSteve sporecast, so you could subscribe to it easily.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com