Author Topic: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08  (Read 19656 times)

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
Re: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2008, 01:58:08 pm »
Hmmmm. I haven't considered joint to joint only attachability for limbs. I assumed if it's possible then it can be attached anywhere on the mesh like attaching to the torso or attaching decorations to limbs. Brb after I read the presentation thing.

edit: It's most likely possible with joint to joint only attachability for limbs.
I still think it's odd that nobody tried it in a video.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 02:17:36 pm by uj »
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2008, 02:17:01 pm »
From a programmers point of view, it is easier for a script to animate if it knows where the joints are as it doesn't have to calculate where a new joint would be, etc. It is therefore easier to just let people attach limbs on joints instead of anywhere on the limb. We've also seen that when a limb is close enough to another they merge the mesh, so that's another option.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline outlander_biz

• Microvision Master
  • Muwahaha (evil laugh, shh don't tell anyone)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2008, 03:01:29 pm »
From a programmers point of view, it is easier for a script to animate if it knows where the joints are as it doesn't have to calculate where a new joint would be, etc. It is therefore easier to just let people attach limbs on joints instead of anywhere on the limb. We've also seen that when a limb is close enough to another they merge the mesh, so that's another option.

I agree completely.

but for a fix to placing extra limbs anywhere on a limb, simple move the joint to where you want the new limb and then add another limb as an extension, if done properly I'm sure it would look like one limb with another comming out of the side of it.
I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed there would be no more war

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2008, 03:05:24 pm »

I agree completely.

but for a fix to placing extra limbs anywhere on a limb, simple move the joint to where you want the new limb and then add another limb as an extension, if done properly I'm sure it would look like one limb with another comming out of the side of it.

Yeah, that's my third option in my examples.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2008, 03:06:39 pm »
We've also seen that when a limb is close enough to another they merge the mesh, so that's another option.

That's how metaballs work.  If two metaballs are close enough together, they connect and make one mesh.  And since limbs and the body are made with metaballs, if you position say the knee back up into the body, it should make the entire upper leg look like it's attached to the body. I'm not sure how much limitation (if any) you have with moving the limbs back into the body, but it would be nice if you could loop the limbs back into the body to make some very interesting topology on your creatures. 

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2008, 04:03:10 pm »
Yeah, except instead of metaballs they're metaobjects, or maybe a chain of metaballs, either way it works :P

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2008, 12:42:12 am »
I still think it's odd that nobody tried it in a video.
It is not so odd.
We didn't see any tripods either, since 2005 , and everyone started to specuate that they are taken out, until we saw a few new ones in 2008, but simply no one thought of it before.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D