Author Topic: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08  (Read 21518 times)

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2008, 11:06:28 am »
Oh my goodness. The arms moved.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:40 am »
Look guys, we never will hear the end of it, unless someone emails Maxis to make an update for the FAQ section on the official Spore website asking : Can you make assymetrical creatures ?

Or until the CC comes out.

That's not an asymmetrical creature. It will move forward along it's symmetry axis as opposed to sideways which would have made it an asymmetrical creature.

You're really stretching it there.  Are you saying that a crab is asymmetrical because it walks sideways, not because one claw is bigger than the other? 

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2008, 11:26:29 am »
Look guys, we never will hear the end of it, unless someone emails Maxis to make an update for the FAQ section on the official Spore website asking : Can you make assymetrical creatures ?

Please, we are not that patient.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2008, 11:29:30 am »
First off where the hell did you hear that you can not attach limbs to limbs. Oh thats right we haven't. Please do not make stuff up.

Second that video confirmed nothing. He got cut off we could not hear most of he was saying. What we DID hear was that symmetry is the default setting.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2008, 11:31:29 am »

Please, we are not that patient.

[removed]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:36:20 pm by LadyM »
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2008, 11:38:32 am »

I've sent an email.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:36:44 pm by LadyM »

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2008, 11:40:15 am »

Since this really IS a frequently asked question, it's a good entry for the FAQ. Then it will end all the discussion about this subject.

Excuse the hot-linked image... but this is a new version of an old asymmetrical design from the Spore site:
*pic*

End of the Debate and de baiting!

Yeah, but they also have this :
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:45:12 pm by DoggySpew »

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:23 pm »

Since this really IS a frequently asked question, it's a good entry for the FAQ. Then it will end all the discussion about this subject.

End of the Debate and de baiting!

Yeah, but they also have this :

Touche!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:48:41 pm by WeAreLegion »

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:11 pm »
Touche!

Good sir, it is not necessary, in fact heavily looked down upon, to quote a picture from the post above you. Especially one so large.

In the future, perhaps cut out the picture tags and write *pic* or something to allow everyone to know that you are referring to the picture without cluttering up the page?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2008, 12:49:12 pm »
Touche!

Good sir, it is not necessary, in fact heavily looked down upon, to quote a picture from the post above you. Especially one so large.

In the future, perhaps cut out the picture tags and write *pic* or something to allow everyone to know that you are referring to the picture without cluttering up the page?

Like that? ;)

You notice I did cull the first pic, unfortunately I missed the first. :(  Sorry.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2008, 01:26:12 pm »
You can still make asymmetrical creatures to a certain extent (even if they took it out), almost every earth creature is symmetrical on one axis but asymmetrical on the other, so just take advantage of that in the editor.
That's not an asymmetrical creature. It will move forward along it's symmetry axis as opposed to sideways which would have made it an asymmetrical creature.

Another thing, there are no complex limbs. You can only attach a limb to the spine. You can't attach a limb to a limb to a limb... and make a configuration like Buttface in the GDC 2005 video.

Look at the feet, they seem to be facing "your direction" slightly but it could just be the angle, either way it can be considered asymmetrical if you decide that the legs+feet are symmetrical then the face and that thing on it's chest are asymmetrical.

What proof do you have of no complex limbs? We got a very recent video where you see evidence that it's still in to some extent (the guy grabbed on of the joints and the limb split into 2 half-way accross it).
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:10 pm »
First off where the hell did you hear that you can not attach limbs to limbs. Oh thats right we haven't. Please do not make stuff up.

Second that video confirmed nothing. He got cut off we could not hear most of he was saying. What we DID hear was that symmetry is the default setting.

The no limb branching thing, it's something I could SEE them taking out, but, to date, there is no reason to believe that they have. It's not something that should be touted as, "Oh it's been taken out no doubt." However, I could see them putting that limitation on due to animation issues. I'd keep my expectations for that one low.

The video confirmed two things. One, asymmetry was once possible, and that, to be more "user friendly" it is now fully symmetrical. I have never seen a creature editor video where things were not mirrored on the other side of the body, even back at GDC 2005, but apparently at one point it did not. Since we know that it was at one point possible, linking this image is pointless.

I'm not saying that asymmetry is 100% confirmed to be removed, I'm just saying that, after watching that video, I wouldn't hold my breath too much. Try not to get your heart set on features that may or may not be there, that's what will lead to disappointment. You can hope that it's there, but if you get yourself to the point where you expect it, and Maxis does not deliver, then June 17th is going to turn from a day of excitement to disappointment.

I'm not saying that it's been taken out for sure. I'm just saying that, trying to put your own spin on what was said because you want asymmetry to still be possible might not be a good idea. People did the same thing when Will Wright stated, "water creatures are on the cusp of being cut out." Back then, there was one camp of people who insisted, "Oh, he's just talking about the underwater CIVILIZATIONS. Cities and stuff. I'm sure you'll still be able to make underwater creatures for the creature stage, just not bring them to tribal until you move to land." It's these people that were the most disappointed when they found out how the transition from cell to creature was going to work.

It's just safer to let yourself get excited about features we know are in there, rather than ones that are iffy.

Offline wydraz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Spore Monkey
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2008, 06:39:58 pm »
OMG! WTF!

I couldn't care less if asymmetry or limbs attached to limbs were in or out. There's plenty of things to do with the CC other than worry about that. Get over it, people! Sure, it would be cool, but I can live with it if they weren't IN there. Just wait a few weeks and find out.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2008, 06:43:33 pm »
I won't be sad if asymmetry is not in, I'm just trying to make those people who are saying that branched limbs are out that they are still in fact there, jesus christ just watch this recent video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAHjDUlwEyk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAHjDUlwEyk</a>

Now you might argue that it split because it's placed in the center, but there's also a recent screenshot of the creature stage where you see creatures with split legs like buttface but I can't be bothered to go search for it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:47:12 pm by DarkDragon »
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2008, 06:48:01 pm »
I won't be sad if asymmetry is not in, I'm just trying to make those people who are saying that branched limbs are out that they are still in fact there, jesus christ just watch this recent video:

Now you might argue that it split because it's placed in the center, but there's also a recent screenshot of the creature stage where you see creatures with split legs like buttface but I can't be bothered to go search for it.

Right at 4:00 in...that gives me some sweet ideas for some limb combos. ;)