Author Topic: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08  (Read 20071 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:02 am »
People complain about the dragons.  People complain about the weird Eurogamer creatures.  Just think how Alex feels watching the hundreds of them with every demo he gives to the unimaginative adults who are just unable to make something "different."

I think that even with the "limitations" there's still a HUGE amount of variety available to those of us who have the creativity, ingenuity, and imagination to work with what we've got will be more than capable of dealing with them. 

In two weeks we'll have more than enough creatures to comment on how dull and unimaginative they are, and how ours are oh so much better.  ;D

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2008, 09:48:13 am »
http://www.spore.com/images/creatures/creature_32_big.jpg

Asymmetrical creature. All it proves, though, is that asymmetry was once possible. Judging from what the guy said in the video, that is likely no longer the case.

Quote from: DarkSkies
I have a bad feeling that most of the ppl on here are going to be really disappointed with creature creator. So far I havent seen any creature that stood out from the rest of the pack as far as complex designing. The three factors I've seen that will be limiting the creatures are:
A) 20 segments on the spine
B) No split spline feature (May have a work-around using tentacles)
C) Symmetrical features

People will be disappointed. No doubt about that. There will always be a percentage of people who will be disappointed. I'm not worried about "complex designs," personally. Partially because most people demoing the editor simply haven't put much thought into the design the way some of us have been for 3 and a half years. Also, making a good creature shouldn't always be about complexity. Being creative with what you've got, and having an eye for what is and isn't aesthetically pleasing is a lot more interesting to me, personally. There IS beauty in simplicity.

A) I was a bit disappointed with only 20 vertebrae. Still, I don't know what's stopping someone from making the body thinner, therefore making it look longer, and then cranking the size up a bit. Instant longer creature with only 20 vertebrae (unless we don't have control over the creature's size).

B) Honestly was NEVER expecting a split spine. Nowhere have I ever seen it, or seen any evidence for it. Tentacles don't appear to be possible, though, at least not tentacles like I was hoping for. It looks like you can fashion a limb to look like a tentacle, but I don't know about making it grasp or function like a real tentacle. We've got the part in the accessories, but that's probably just for show / stats.

C) Somewhat restrictive. It's kind of a letdown, but not a deal breaker for me. Might be for some people, but when I look through my sketches of imagined creatures, not a single one is asymmetrical. It's the kind of thing that you want just so you can feel like you have more freedom, but will rarely use. I don't know if I'd EVER use it, personally, but that's just me.

EDIT: Edited the picture to a URL. Didn't realize it was so big.

Offline DarkSkies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2008, 09:55:19 am »
From what I can tell that pic you posted is still symmetrical, evenly placed arms and legs. If the part you are talking about is the weapon on the arm? Thats not what asymmetrical is.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:34 am »
From what I can tell that pic you posted is still symmetrical, evenly placed arms and legs. If the part you are talking about is the weapon on the arm? Thats not what asymmetrical is.

The weapon part on its back is part of the creature, not an actual weapon, just for looks, it also has a hand on one side and a weapon on the other so it is assymetrical.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2008, 10:00:55 am »

a·sym·met·ric   
–adjective
1.   not identical on both sides of a central line; unsymmetrical; lacking symmetry: Most faces are asymmetric.

As long as something was put on one side of the creature, and it was not mirrored on the other side, that is asymmetry, by definition. If you're just talking about limb configuration ... the limbs are nothing more than other parts. If he was able to put a weapon on one side and not have it mirrored on the other, there would be nothing stopping him from doing the same with a leg or an arm.

Don't really need graphic evidence, however. The video already confirmed that, at one point, asymmetry was possible, and that, in one form or another, they "took it out."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:03:14 am by Crowster »

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:58 am »

The weapon part on its back is part of the creature, not an actual weapon, just for looks, it also has a hand on one side and a weapon on the other so it is assymetrical.

The hand is most defiantly asymmetrical, but I believe the thing on its back is its tail sticking up...could be wrong but the angle is hard to tell either way.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2008, 10:13:05 am »
You can still make asymmetrical creatures to a certain extent (even if they took it out), almost every earth creature is symmetrical on one axis but asymmetrical on the other, so just take advantage of that in the editor:

DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2008, 10:15:55 am »
You can still make asymmetrical creatures to a certain extent (even if they took it out), almost every earth creature is symmetrical on one axis but asymmetrical on the other, so just take advantage of that in the editor:

This picture is the most recent asymmetrical one I can think of...hummm.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2008, 10:26:09 am »

This picture is the most recent asymmetrical one I can think of...hummm.

Well... It's hard to tell with that one. It's not completely asymmetrical, but it's not symmetrical either. It has an odd symmetry to it. The only really weird part is determining whether to consider the rear facing foot as being asymmetrical or not. Everything else is symmetrical, and depend on your view of if that one foot represents Customizable Player-induced asymmetry or is a function of the Symmetrical Features inherent in the editor.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
2 quick questions, that I'm sure all of you can easily answer:

- when is the creature creator being released?

- where can you get it from in Europe?
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2008, 10:36:19 am »

June 17th.

Only through Online means, as far as I'm aware.

There are 10 threads with this information. Search function is there for a reason.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2008, 10:39:28 am »

June 17th.

Only through Online means, as far as I'm aware.

There are 10 threads with this information. Search function is there for a reason.

I know, but to be frank, I couldn't be bothered.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2008, 10:41:29 am »
You can still make asymmetrical creatures to a certain extent (even if they took it out), almost every earth creature is symmetrical on one axis but asymmetrical on the other, so just take advantage of that in the editor.
That's not an asymmetrical creature. It will move forward along it's symmetry axis as opposed to sideways which would have made it an asymmetrical creature.

Another thing, there are no complex limbs. You can only attach a limb to the spine. You can't attach a limb to a limb to a limb... and make a configuration like Buttface in the GDC 2005 video.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2008, 10:48:23 am »
You can still make asymmetrical creatures to a certain extent (even if they took it out), almost every earth creature is symmetrical on one axis but asymmetrical on the other, so just take advantage of that in the editor.
That's not an asymmetrical creature. It will move forward along it's symmetry axis as opposed to sideways which would have made it an asymmetrical creature.

Another thing, there are no complex limbs. You can only attach a limb to the spine. You can't attach a limb to a limb to a limb... and make a configuration like Buttface in the GDC 2005 video.

Where is proof of no limb to limb?

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2008, 10:59:56 am »
Look guys, we never will hear the end of it, unless someone emails Maxis to make an update for the FAQ section on the official Spore website asking : Can you make assymetrical creatures ?

Since this really IS a frequently asked question, it's a good entry for the FAQ. Then it will end all the discussion about this subject.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.