Author Topic: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08  (Read 19734 times)

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
Re: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 05:29:54 pm »
Well not everyone is as creative as you Hydro. Just let them do what they like, at least it isn't a giant penis.

*quickly moves to block his monitor and half-finished giant penis from view*

Ummm yeah!  That would suck.   :-[

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 05:30:13 pm »
Would have been more interesting and funnier too, imagine if that guy had the guts to make a penis creature xD

Flaccid or Rigid? I suppose it would take more guts to create a flaccid penis creature. You could call them the Sinep.

hey! I made one in gmod and then smacked the server admin with it  :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 06:07:35 pm »
i bet he was expecting it would fly...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 09:05:10 pm »
Well not everyone is as creative as you Hydro. Just let them do what they like, at least it isn't a giant penis.

I don't know why not :P

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:27 pm »
the video is no longer available on youtube, and i was late to the party, is there another place to view it?
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2008, 10:05:05 pm »
the video is no longer available on youtube, and i was late to the party, is there another place to view it?

It works for me, try again.

It reminds me of the IGN demo, he tried to make a dragon too  :P
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 10:09:44 pm »

I know.  It's like they are purposely trying to find the worse people to have test out the editor.  Hmm... What should I make... I know the same thing everyone else has made. 
It works for me, try again.

It reminds me of the IGN demo, he tried to make a dragon too  :P

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:41 pm »
thats weird it works now, before it was blacked out and said that it was no longer available for some reason.

I understand everyones desire for new more exciting demos, but i think we have to realize something will has joked about.  Most of what people make are going to be crap, its quantity not quality.  He was asked something like, "so this is really intelligent design?"  "Yeah its like a bunch of gods designing things, i don't know about intelligent though"

as far as the symmetry debate: to me he was stating there was a lot of discussion on how many and what shortcuts they put into the interface.  The guy was sort of cut off in his explanation but i don't think asymmetrical is out, its just not the default build option.

Also at the very end he mentioned "if you give it a pig mouth it'll sound like a pig." 

I hadn't yet heard on what determined the sound the creatures make.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:03:12 am by happydan20 »
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:13 am »
Also at the very end he mentioned "if you give it a pig mouth it'll sound like a pig." 

I hadn't yet heard on what determined the sound the creatures make.

Oh, yeah, I've seen the acoustic effect of a mouth in a previous video. Forgot which one, exactly, but it was a vaguely monkey-ish creature, and I think it had two buzzsaws on its shoulders and kind of a cone head. Anyway, it had a monkey/ape mouth, and it sounded just like a chimp.

Adding more than one mouth should make for some interesting blended vocalizations...

Offline Amazingchi

• Mystery House Madman
  • It's sooo close!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2008, 03:26:49 am »
The title of this thread threw me a bit, I thought there was a new version of the Creature Creator xD!

I watched this vid in the index thread. I like the fact the guy using it actually thought about what he was doing.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
as far as the symmetry debate: to me he was stating there was a lot of discussion on how many and what shortcuts they put into the interface.  The guy was sort of cut off in his explanation but i don't think asymmetrical is out, its just not the default build option.

A while ago I had an idea on why people couldn't see any checkbox to turn off symmetry, if they didn't remove it they probably made it work like for example: you press CTRL while placing the part so it's only placed on the side you want it to instead of both.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2008, 09:05:29 am »
As much as I'm sure everyone wants asymmetrical creatures, after watching that video, I really don't think it's going to happen.

Everything said about asymmetry, the best I could hear it ...

To make it user friendly, it's all based on symmetry. The spine is the line of symmetry, so any part that you put on, any leg or arm, will mirror on the sides, or will join up on the front or the back ... originally we had it asymmetrical so you could do sort of what you wanted, and put just one leg on if ...

*The guy rips the face off his creature. Uses CTRL + Z. A tangent on keyboard shortcuts ensues, and discussion on symmetry ends*

I've always assumed that, if asymmetry was possible, it would be shift + click/drag/position, or something like that. He said in there that it was to make it more user friendly, and not due to some weird technical or animation error, so it's still possible that it's in there as a keyboard shortcut for those who know how to access it, but ... there is nothing in what he said that would point to it still being in there. We've had screenshots of asymmetrical creatures, so we know it WAS in there, but ... line for line, it really doesn't sound good.

It doesn't bother me too much. With a few exceptions, most every creature on earth is symmetrical. Any new limitation that they put on the editor is going to stink, but I can live with forced symmetry.

Despite all this ... the very first thing I'm going to do when I get my hands on the editor is to see what the shift key does. You never know. >_>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:07:06 am by Crowster »

Offline DarkSkies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2008, 09:08:52 am »
how about some examples of those asymetrical creatures you were talking about
so far I dont remember any

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 09:09:52 am »
I'm gonna see what every key and key combination does  ;D
Or just read the manual  ;)

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline DarkSkies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2008, 09:18:13 am »
I have a bad feeling that most of the ppl on here are going to be really disappointed with creature creator. So far I havent seen any creature that stood out from the rest of the pack as far as complex designing. The three factors I've seen that will be limiting the creatures are:
A) 20 segments on the spine
B) No split spline feature (May have a work-around using tentacles)
C) Symmetrical features