Author Topic: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08  (Read 23384 times)

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:45 pm »
There is enough recent evidence to make me inclined to agree with crowster on this (very nice posts BTW), but of course we will see firsthand soon enough but at this moment, it sound like asymmetry may be out. Hope not, though.

you can still make asymmetrical creatures to a certain extent (even if they took it out), almost every earth creature is symmetrical on one axis but asymmetrical on the other, so just take advantage of that in the editor.

Thats called bilateral symmetry if its on one axis, and radial if it is symmetric around a point. There IS no "other axis" with animal life I don't think. There is no X and Y axis in biology I believe. I am not as certain about that as I would like to be so if anyone can prove me wrong I would love to hear it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:35:34 pm by Fledgeling »

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »
Thats called bilateral symmetry if its on one axis, and radial if it is symmetric around a point. There IS no "other axis" with animal life.

I didn't know how to explain it, sorry for me to find an alternative that allowed you to still get what I meant and correct me :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »
 :P Ah...
The point wasn't as much to correct you for the sake of correcting you as it was so you wouldn't need an alternative next time, if that makes sense.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2008, 07:42:45 pm »
Yeah I know, was just kidding though. I wonder how the game will animate creatures like the Twowaysaurus though :o
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:19 pm »
Please don't post email addresses. I've removed them.

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:51 pm »
Why is it that people think the truth is what they want it to be instead of the facts? Prepare for a big "I told you so" when the editor is out. See my sig.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2008, 10:03:04 pm »
Why is it that people think the truth is what they want it to be instead of the facts? Prepare for a big "I told you so" when the editor is out. See my sig.

You're already wrong about number 2 though. Split Limbs has been confirmed, and recently too. Like late May, recently.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
Eh might wanna fix number 2 my friend.

Split limbs are actually 100% confirmed with video proof.

Oh and while you are at it. Knock the salt off your shoulder.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

DOH

OpDDay beat me too it.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2008, 10:24:03 pm »
Eh might wanna fix number 2 my friend.

Split limbs are actually 100% confirmed with video proof.

Oh and while you are at it. Knock the salt off your shoulder.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

DOH

OpDDay beat me too it.

What can I say? I studied with Quick Draw McGraw. EL KABONG AWAY!
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2008, 10:27:15 pm »
Quick draw mcgraw..now your making me feel old  :P

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2008, 11:02:18 pm »
<rant>

No gender at all?  It is so depressing that the designers seem to be ignoring the most interesting aspects of life in favor of what they think makes easy-breezy gameplay.  Am I still buying Spore?  Hell, yeah!  I'll have it on launch day, but little by little I can't help but see one missed opportunity after another...and I'm not looking forward to buying EP after EP to explore possibilities that I would want from the get go.  Sure, they probably didn't have time to put all of that in or they might have very clear reasons for not putting it in at all but I just keep feeling like the game is getting shallow.  It can't rely on the creativity of others to give it depth.  I would hope that the game would be full and fascinating on its own without the collecting part.

</rant> 
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2008, 11:47:16 pm »
<rant>

No gender at all?  It is so depressing that the designers seem to be ignoring the most interesting aspects of life in favor of what they think makes easy-breezy gameplay.  Am I still buying Spore?  Hell, yeah!  I'll have it on launch day, but little by little I can't help but see one missed opportunity after another...and I'm not looking forward to buying EP after EP to explore possibilities that I would want from the get go.  Sure, they probably didn't have time to put all of that in or they might have very clear reasons for not putting it in at all but I just keep feeling like the game is getting shallow.  It can't rely on the creativity of others to give it depth.  I would hope that the game would be full and fascinating on its own without the collecting part.

</rant> 

One of the most amazing games is about to come out and all you can do is get pissed about something minor that's not going to be in the game? Shame, shame...

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2008, 11:53:34 pm »
I do not see the issue. There were really no genders back in 05....you can't really be mad at them removing a feature that was never there nor ever promised to be there.

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2008, 12:29:04 am »
It's better to be genderless than to winning a big fight and realizing that all you have left of all your nearby creatures is two guys =(

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2008, 04:19:30 am »
It's better to be genderless than to winning a big fight and realizing that all you have left of all your nearby creatures is two guys =(

LMAO!  Very good point!  Might be why they decided to never go that way.  Besides there is nothing keeping you from pretending there are males and females.

I mean, how many of you can tell the sex of a turtle, a cat, a bluejay, an aligator...

...from 50 paces?