Author Topic: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08  (Read 19746 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: New SPORE Creature Creator - 06/03/08
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2008, 02:09:32 pm »
There is no exact size but you can compare the creature you're making to the trees in the background to have an idea of how big it is.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2008, 02:51:09 pm »
It's been mentioned before, but modding won't work if you want to share what you make. The sporepedia checks the validity of shared creations, and rejects them if they are "tweaked".

Good.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2008, 02:52:42 pm »
Is it just me or does all the arms and legs have 4 joints?

I was noticing that too. However what if you added a limb to a limb? Would you get more joins in your limbs? Also we have seen that fat elephant thing with the hands on the top of its head that clap. The shoulder and elbow joints merged in that one. I wonder what happens when you merge more than one limb like that.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2008, 03:04:10 pm »
I'm hoping the 4-jointed limbs can be adjusted so it looks like only three.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:32 pm »
Well, in a way, people have 4. Hip, knee, ankle, toes. The last join there can probably be dragged down far enough to make it look like an ankle.

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2008, 06:54:42 pm »
1. Screenshot with a creature that has a limb with 5 segments (none of the standart limbs do).
Show.
2. Recent in-game screenshot of a creature with split legs (like buttface).
Show.
3. Very Recent video of a limb being split into 2 half-way accross it.
Irrelevant. He clearly produced that effect from a single limb. I'm saying attaching a limb to a limb is not possible.
Hope that clears it up.
Nope.

Evidence that you can't attach a limb to a limb:

1) If it were possible surely Maxis would show it off or somebody would try it. Since we don't see that, the probability of it being possible is very low.

2) No glimpses of it on hover over. When someone is placing a new limb, and they are dragging it from the editor, and on the way to the torso the mouse passes over an already placed limb, one would expect a preview of how it would look like if the dragged limb was attached to the limb in place. We get these kinds of glimpses all the time when parts are moved about. But there are no such glimpses with limb on limb.

UJ arrogance will almost always come back to bite you..
What arrogance? I'm making a prediction. If I'm right I'll gloat about it and if I'm wrong I'll admit it. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is so to speak.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2008, 07:18:15 pm »
1. Screenshot with a creature that has a limb with 5 segments (none of the standart limbs do).
Show.
Show.
Irrelevant. He clearly produced that effect from a single limb. I'm saying attaching a limb to a limb is not possible.
Hope that clears it up.
Nope.

1) If it were possible surely Maxis would show it off or somebody would try it. Since we don't see that, the probability of it being possible is very low.

2) No glimpses of it on hover over. When someone is placing a new limb, and they are dragging it from the editor, and on the way to the torso the mouse passes over an already placed limb, one would expect a preview of how it would look like if the dragged limb was attached to the limb in place. We get these kinds of glimpses all the time when parts are moved about. But there are no such glimpses with limb on limb.

What arrogance? I'm making a prediction. If I'm right I'll gloat about it and if I'm wrong I'll admit it. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

5 joints
6 joints
Split limb in the middle (screenshot from the video)
Split limbs (yes, you read it right, 2 legs, one segment that then splits in two with the front split legs having 3 segments and the back ones having 1)

This evidence clearly show that there's more than one way to split limbs. Notice I put evidence in bold because there's nothing to argue about there, I'm showing you screenshots, you're showing me wild assumptions, therefore I wont continue debating this until you can provide me evidence that disproves those screenshots.

1. & 2. Responses: Most people who have tried the editor are limited on time and aren't gonna bother with exploring the possibilities, they just make something rather quickly and in any video so far we haven't had the glimpse of it because people just didn't happen to drag a limb directly over another. I bet there's a lot in the editor they don't want us to know about yet, there's an element of surprise involved in this, just because we haven't seen a creature hover we know they can because they told us so, etc.

As I've said before, here is my pokemanz evidence, now show me yours :P

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Russ1

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2008, 03:04:43 am »
New video perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8uLSM44sP4&feature=related

This guy knows how to talk lol.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2008, 03:16:39 am »
Show.
Show.
Hope that clears it up.
Nope.

5 joints
6 joints
Split limbs (yes, you read it right, 2 legs, one segment that then splits in two with the front split legs having 3 segments and the back ones having 1)

This evidence clearly show that there's more than one way to split limbs. Notice I put evidence in bold because there's nothing to argue about there, I'm showing you screenshots, you're showing me wild assumptions, therefore I wont continue debating this until you can provide me evidence that disproves those screenshots.

1. & 2. Responses: Most people who have tried the editor are limited on time and aren't gonna bother with exploring the possibilities, they just make something rather quickly and in any video so far we haven't had the glimpse of it because people just didn't happen to drag a limb directly over another. I bet there's a lot in the editor they don't want us to know about yet, there's an element of surprise involved in this, just because we haven't seen a creature hover we know they can because they told us so, etc.

As I've said before, here is my pokemanz evidence, now show me yours :P

"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2008, 06:25:38 am »
New video perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8uLSM44sP4&feature=related

This guy knows how to talk lol.

This is the funniest video of Spore there is ( well, after Robin Williams trying it out ) It's funny because it's looking at the CC from a newbie's P.O.V. Quote "I've never tried this before" and he does a pretty good job exploring the CC and what it can do in the short time he plays around with it, and he makes a pretty good creature being his first time exposed to the CC.

- W -
* Who should start saving these wonderful videos of all the game magazine folks trying out the CC for the first time to his own YouTube account for future reference *

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2008, 12:59:11 pm »
5 joints

Green = limb. Blue = foot. Pulling the joint circled in red off the ground stretches the base of the foot. No limb attached to a limb here.

6 joints

The saw and it's support is a single piece(weapon 6D in this thread). No limb attached to a limb here.

Alright. Updated my sig so say 'composite limbs' instead of 'split limbs' because of confusion. Yes you can mess around with a single limb and make it 'split' as seen in this video(4:05). What I'm arguing is that you can't attach a limb to a limb and make a creature like Buttface anymore.

That image isn't clear enough to see anything even when I open it in paint and zoom in for careful scrutiny. And keep in mind that limbs clip through each other while moving.

1. & 2. Responses: Most people who have tried the editor are limited on time and aren't gonna bother with exploring the possibilities, they just make something rather quickly
You make it sound like attaching a limb to a limb would be some kind of complicated procedure. It takes just a second to drag a limb on top of a limb. The fact that we don't have even one example of this means the probability of it being possible is minuscule.

and in any video so far we haven't had the glimpse of it because people just didn't happen to drag a limb directly over another.
I bolded for emphasis.
From this vid frame by frame at around 3:27.

Notice how the arm remains red, as in 'you can't put that there'. On the last frame it's normal colored because the attachment point is over the torso.

Once again with zoom in:

No attaching limbs to other limbs.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2008, 01:21:18 pm »
5 joints - when you attach a foot to a limb the limb gets dragged down and that's not the case with that creature.

6 joints - even if you consider the 6th joint to be part of the weapon, that still leaves 5 joints.

Split limbs image - I think it's clear enough, we're not seeing it on only one creature, it's in all of them... would be a very rare coincidence if they were all clipping at the same time. There are also other pictures of those creatures where it's clearer that it's indeed a split limb.

Bunch of frames - Notice that it isn't being dragged over a joint, it's being dragged in-between 2 joints which makes it impossible to attach since limb to limb attachments can only be done on the joints.

None of your evidence is conclusive, neither is mine so it's pointless to keep discussing this. You have your mind set that they are out, I don't. We'll see soon enough.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2008, 01:22:26 pm »

From Chris Hecker's 2008 Siggraph presentation:

How about admitting your failure?  :P
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline BBsman5

• Dragster Diehard
  • Go Spore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »
OSNAP

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2008, 01:35:52 pm »
*zing*

Thanks petike, here are 3 ways it can probably be used (even if it weren't possible, the 3rd one always is because the editor merges limbs close to each other):

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:38:17 pm by DarkDragon »

gamingsteve.dyndns.org