Author Topic: Magic  (Read 9271 times)

Offline SporeGames

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Magic
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:49:20 am »
Any one know how magic will operate in the game? (please give links)

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Re: Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:55:38 am »
So far the only evidence I've seen of "magic" would be the altar, shamanistic staves, and some fireworks like things in tribal phase.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:59:14 am »
Sounds like an object for an expansion pack. It would be pretty cool though. I'd love to make a Blink Dog.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:24:31 am »
Magic won't operate in Spore
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline Ciddler

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
    • View Profile
    • My Spore!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:43:30 am »
I doubt magic will be inserted and I don't really hope so either. Because it always has and always will be

Quote from: Dictionary
1.   the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.

Therefore I think it shouldn't play an important role in Spore. The 'shaman' or 'priests' of your tribe could do some mumbo-jumbo to impress the people of your tribe and call it magic, but it wouldn't really be magic and there shouldn't be magic. It has nothing to do with SCIENCE.

Offline sporehunter

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • I Eat babies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 05:00:13 am »
I do remember seeing some a video with creatures using magic or something very similar.
Gimme a sec and I'll look for it.
"Hey Chris, I got something for you... see it's a Bullfrog I poked some holes in it's back so it can breathe."

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 05:04:42 am »
               HERE WE GO AGAIN... *sigh* ::) ::) ::)

From a certain point of view, there IS magic in SPORE. It can never be denied. It's called Intelligent Design and Will Wright said it himself. It depends on how you look at things. If you wanna look at it in an atheistic sorta way, so be it. If you wanna look at it in a theistic standpoint, so be it. BUT DON'T YOU EVER, EVER PUSH YOUR VIEWS ON OTHERS IN A 100% SURE SORT OF WAY! IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN MAGIC, YOU CAN SAY THAT IT'S JUST MUMBO JUMBO, BUT IF YOU DO, YOU COULD SAY THAT IT'S MAGIC! PEOPLE! this kind of talk goes into THIS thread, not here

Offline sporehunter

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • I Eat babies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 05:18:10 am »
Hmm... I cant seem to find it. :-\
"Hey Chris, I got something for you... see it's a Bullfrog I poked some holes in it's back so it can breathe."

Offline ARCosta

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:19:12 am »
What was that for? ??? Ciddler was just saying mumbo jumbo as in allakhazam or something, right?

I think magic would be really out of context, so I hope it isn't in. And when i say magic, I mean "real" magic like Firaga or Aeroga :D, not "scientific" magic, like the electric cells use.
Green grin

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:46:52 am »
Magic?

No, it might not be a fully realistic game but that's taking it too far.
I just can't see Spore diverging into a fantasy sim, rather than semi scientific realism.
It just can't function in a game like this, that's that...

PS. sorry for mispellings if any, proxy site at school doesn't allow me to spell check.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:35:23 am »
               I like how there's some slight unseriousness in Spore and The Sims, like the fridge never running out of food, but things like fireballs should really be left out for now and only being added in an expansion pack like a uber-high-tech expansion pack thingy where you can use "magic" (read: clockmages) only when you're extremely advanced as in the level of tech needed to build time machines irl.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:54:55 am »
We might as well have creatures that move objects with their mind and shoot rainbows out of their ass (whose line was this? xD)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:01 am »
It's called Intelligent Design and Will Wright said it himself.
Yes by other aliens, which were governed by science as they themselves evolved. The player may be an 'intelligent designer' but they're bound to the game rules and dont use magic.

If you wanna look at it in an atheistic sorta way, so be it. If you wanna look at it in a theistic standpoint, so be it. BUT DON'T YOU EVER, EVER PUSH YOUR VIEWS ON OTHERS IN A 100% SURE SORT OF WAY! IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN MAGIC, YOU CAN SAY THAT IT'S JUST MUMBO JUMBO, BUT IF YOU DO, YOU COULD SAY THAT IT'S MAGIC! PEOPLE!
This doesnt really have anything to do with atheism and theism. Spore is based on observed things, and as a side-goal, was supposed to help people look at the universe with a new wonder. People are allowed to say what they want as long as they speak with a degree of tact, and Ciddler even provided the dictionary link to the meaning of magic to keep his meaning in view. It didnt seem to be meant as seriously as you seem to have taken it...

I like how there's some slight unseriousness in Spore and The Sims, like the fridge never running out of food, but things like fireballs should really be left out for now and only being added in an expansion pack like a uber-high-tech expansion pack thingy where you can use "magic" (read: clockmages) only when you're extremely advanced as in the level of tech needed to build time machines irl.
Well in Sims2 the fridge did run out of food, and even in Sims1 you couldnt get food from the fridge if you didnt have money to pay for it. Yeah, I know that still amounts to lack of complete simulation, and I agree that more realism doesnt always mean more fun. But this is a game focusing on the evolution of creatures, having animals randomly creating miracles or manipulating spiritual forces outside of comical special missions, kind of defeats the theme and feel of Spore. By comical special missions, I mean like someone in your tribe gets 'possessed' and you have to find a 'magic fruit' from in a nearby jungle to get rid of the 'bad spirits' (cure the disease).

I would like to know where you got the idea that magic would be in. (please give links)
Before I even read this thread, I knew it would get a bad response. When the opening post had only one line, I couldnt help but feel that this seemed like an attempt at trolling. If you know how the last magic threads went down, at least. When I saw who posted it, I really did wonder... but maybe its just me.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 08:46:53 am »
I would like to know where you got the idea that magic would be in. (please give links)
Before I even read this thread, I knew it would get a bad response. When the opening post had only one line, I couldnt help but feel that this seemed like an attempt at trolling. If you know how the last magic threads went down, at least. When I saw who posted it, I really did wonder... but maybe its just me.

It's not just you :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 09:00:27 am »
I would guess that so much of the game is based on science I don't think magic will make the cut, more than the shamans and their powers (if any). The rest of the 'magic' in the game is the religion part of the civilisation stage, in other words "we are so many and you are so few, therefore, what we believe must be correct"... sigh.