Author Topic: Quick Question from someone new to the Spore-Universe  (Read 5763 times)

Offline superdeluxe

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Quick Question from someone new to the Spore-Universe
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:38:17 pm »
Hello

I've been looking over the topics, and search area, but I can't seem to find a answer to my question.

My question is, when you have stopped playing, does your creations stop as well?  Or is it more like, we make the creations, and they just go on doing what they do, evolving, fighting etc.  Basically we are kind of like creators, checking in on our creations, and when we are done checking, they still go and do their business?

Thanks to anyone that answers! :)

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question from someone new to the Spore-Universe
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »
Welcome to the forums :D

First, it sure is obvious you are new around here  ;) You seem to be operating under the illusion that Spore is a mmorpg, but it's not. Your creatures will be uploaded to a database, so when someone start up a new game your creature will be downloaded to that players singleplayer game. If you've build and played your creature as an aggressive carnivore, your creature will behave so in the players game. Your creatures will be an AI in other players games. You with? Just like all the creatures in YOUR created by other ppl will be ai-controlled in your own spore-universe.

In short

You start new game.
A universe will be created and pollinised with random creatures from the database.
The ONLY human-controlled creature in your game is your own!
All other creatures from cell-phase to space will be ai, but react on how you play your game. If you're aggressive you'll make enemies and they'll be aggressive too.. but if you're friendly so will the other creatures be..

Hope that covers your q
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:48:10 pm by Cosmosis »
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
You play in your own personal Spore universe. When you stop playing, the creatures in your game stop doing stuff, because you aren't playing anymore! But since you can choose to upload your creatures to a main spore database, other players might be using them in their own universes. So yes, in a sense, your creatures are still "alive" when you leave your computer.
P.S: Welcome to GamingSteve!  ;D

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:31 pm »
Hello

I've been looking over the topics, and search area, but I can't seem to find a answer to my question.

My question is, when you have stopped playing, does your creations stop as well?  Or is it more like, we make the creations, and they just go on doing what they do, evolving, fighting etc.  Basically we are kind of like creators, checking in on our creations, and when we are done checking, they still go and do their business?

The game isn't independent. It's not like a Tamagotchi or Digimon. It won't continue on without you. Even if you leave the game running, you are the directing force behind the creatures evolution. In this way, Spore is less about Evolution and more like, unfortunately, the ridiculous idea of "Intelligent Design". So to answer your question, your creation will only continue to "evolve", adapt, and "live" in another player's galaxy. Since content gets pollinated between computers, your creature will be a part of someone else's game where their interactions with your creature have an affect on them only in that galaxy, and only depending on the player.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »

The game isn't independent. It's not like a Tamagotchi or Digimon. It won't continue on without you. Even if you leave the game running, you are the directing force behind the creatures evolution. In this way, Spore is less about Evolution and more like, unfortunately, the ridiculous idea of "Intelligent Design".

You know, i never really thought of Spore like that.. but you're right. It's really not about evolution as in darwinism.. i always thought so actually..
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:52:14 pm »
unfortunately, the ridiculous idea of "Intelligent Design".

Consider other peoples feelings. That little snippet was not needed.

Hello

Welcome to the forum

Its a single player game you control what your creations do when you shut off the computer you just save your data and load it later like most games.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »

The game isn't independent. It's not like a Tamagotchi or Digimon. It won't continue on without you. Even if you leave the game running, you are the directing force behind the creatures evolution. In this way, Spore is less about Evolution and more like, unfortunately, the ridiculous idea of "Intelligent Design".

You know, i never really thought of Spore like that.. but you're right. It's really not about evolution as in darwinism.. i always thought so actually..

But you upload your creatures to an online database, where they are downloaded and used by other players. So although you aren't playing with your creations anymore, they are splitting off into all sorts of different universes and evolving there. I still get a sense that evolution does play a part in the game.

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 01:07:43 pm »
Its only based on intelligent design or evolution if thats how you view it.

Let me give you an example. You are viewing it as intelligent design because you are viewing yourself as the god the creator. Rather then just a creature thats evolving. You control the microbe you control the creature.

In tribe you control the tribe so you are basically the tribal leader.

In civ you are the president/king/dictator whatever.

In space you are flying the space ship and controlling the creature again.

Its all perspective.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:12:28 pm »
yes, I think it's a little bit of both.
"Intelligent" Design where you create the content and control it in your universe
and Evolution when you let it loose for other players to use, or when you download another player's content. (or even within you own game, when you do things like drop a creature on a terraformed planet and come back later to find an entire alien civilization.)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »
Its only based on intelligent design or evolution if thats how you view it.

Let me give you an example. You are viewing it as intelligent design because you are viewing yourself as the god the creator. Rather then just a creature thats evolving. You control the microbe you control the creature.

In tribe you control the tribe so you are basically the tribal leader.

In civ you are the president/king/dictator whatever.

In space you are flying the space ship and controlling the creature again.

Its all perspective.
I think of it as Intelligent Evolution.  It's really a cross between both. Your creature evolves but only because your designing it. If the game were really evolution based there would be no creature editor. If Spore were truly evolution then every time a new creature of your species was born in any way different than the one you were controlling you would have a choice whether to stay controlling the same one or to switch to a slightly different one in hopes of being able to survive longer. The game would be about reproducing with the smartest/strongest of your species to get more advanced children. 

I agree with you that in cell/creature you are the creature and in that way your are not an all powerful god, but when it comes to editing you creature, that's not something a creature can do to itself.  If a zebra finds a dead elephant that doesn't mean it can suddenly grow a trunk. If an all powerful being sees a dead elephant and gets the idea for a trunk there's no reason that being can't put it on the zebra.

I'm not trying to be all religious and stuff here but the game (especially the creature editor) really is based on intelligent design.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:50:37 pm »
You can still play it like if you weren't designing it at all (well, kinda). What I mean is most people already have their creatures planned and are gonna play and modify it to look like they want it to in the end. But you can also play so that for example if fast predators are hunting you, so you get better legs to be faster than them and run away. In evolution terms it would mean that at some point there was a mutation that allowed for stronger legs and over time all of the population now has those legs.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 01:58:55 pm »
You can still play it like if you weren't designing it at all (well, kinda). What I mean is most people already have their creatures planned and are gonna play and modify it to look like they want it to in the end. But you can also play so that for example if fast predators are hunting you, so you get better legs to be faster than them and run away. In evolution terms it would mean that at some point there was a mutation that allowed for stronger legs and over time all of the population now has those legs.
True. That's kind of what I meant by Intelligent Evolution. People are probably going to design their creatures so that they are better equipped for their environment. It would probably happen randomly over time but that wouldn't work for a game.  When people redesign their creatures to be better adapted to the environment they are doing it intelligently. If the player wanted to better simulate evolution the would just randomly change things on their creature and then see what happens. If the game designers wanted to make spore more realistic evolutionary all they'd have to do would be to take out the stat bars in the creature editor and limit how much the player could change his/her creature each time they were in the editor.  Tons of small changes without knowing the result would be very close to evolution. 

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 02:01:15 pm »
True. That's kind of what I meant by Intelligent Evolution. People are probably going to design their creatures so that they are better equipped for their environment. It would probably happen randomly over time but that wouldn't work for a game.  When people redesign their creatures to be better adapted to the environment they are doing it intelligently. If the player wanted to better simulate evolution the would just randomly change things on their creature and then see what happens. If the game designers wanted to make spore more realistic evolutionary all they'd have to do would be to take out the stat bars in the creature editor and limit how much the player could change his/her creature each time they were in the editor.  Tons of small changes without knowing the result would be very close to evolution. 

Yeah, although the game already kinda does the job for you, if you make the wrong change it might get the creature killed forcing you to go to the editor and redo it again until it can survive up to the next evolutionary step.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 02:31:53 pm »
I don't see how "Intelligent Design" is ridiculous.  Basically, it says "Evolution is true, and so is religion".  It doesn't conflict with evolution at all, in fact it requires evolution to be true for it to be true, which means that if Intelligent Design is false, so is evolution.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 02:35:39 pm »
Whoa, lets keep religion and evolution out of this TTT.
Wait, that goes for everybody, we have a thread for that after all.

Also, the game is a bit of both.
Depends on how people precieve intelligent design and evolution.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )