Author Topic: 500,000 Stars  (Read 17072 times)

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: 500,000 Stars
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:30 pm »
Ugh, it's over don't bring it back up again :P.

Again I say, does anyone think the Spore team will simulate all the main types of stars in the stellar classification graphs? You think they will give you an over view of the main elements consisting with in the star via Sporepedia? )Example methane stars for one)
I think there will probably be different types of stars in the game. What do you mean by an overview? Like tell you when you click on a star what it's made of? I think that it's possible there will be a very simplified version of that with just very very basic characteristics of different interstellar objects.

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2008, 02:50:21 pm »
Does anyone know where we will start?

Will it be the same planet in the same place or different for everyone?
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2008, 02:51:31 pm »
How exactly do you mean "start"?

When you begin actual gameplay?
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2008, 03:06:30 pm »
How exactly do you mean "start"?

When you begin actual gameplay?

The planet you start out on, at the creature stage.
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2008, 03:12:29 pm »
From what I remember you have a choice where to start out in from the galaxy view aka the main menu.

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
From what I remember you have a choice where to start out in from the galaxy view aka the main menu.

I've never seen that video, ever... Weird.. Thx though =)

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2008, 03:15:02 pm »

I've never seen that video, ever... Weird.. Thx though =)
me neither, where'd you get that picture?

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2008, 03:15:59 pm »
I saw a glimpse of it some where before, the vid that is but the screen shot is from Xspore.com.
So they might have the video there as well as here (if I can friggin find it), and you're welcome ;).

And it's k if you guys didn't see the vid, not a lot of people did.
I myself am suprised I watched some of it at all o.O

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2008, 06:08:12 pm »
Will it be the same planet in the same place or different for everyone?

I believe you choose.  And it will be different each time.  The planet the comet lands on in the current science video shows a planet different from the one the comet landed on in the German preview video. 

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2008, 06:49:56 pm »

So it looks like step 1 is picking your stage. Then step 2 is picking your planet. Step 3 to pick your "Sporecast Theme". And lastly i bet is picking your race from "Sporepedia".

EDIT: No wait looks like planet and stage are in step 1. I wonder what step 3 and 4 are then. Do you think its pick your buildings/vehicle themes?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:52:12 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2008, 06:58:44 pm »
maybe the option to how to polinate the planet? or difficulty?

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
Fascinating screenshot.

I wonder how they define "Earthly creatures". Does that mean we'll have to categorize our creatures?

Also, I imagine you can only choose your Planet's terrain, as choosing an exact planet would totally take away from re-playability and the sense of discovery.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 07:39:42 pm »
It could be that you can pick any planet and something like the genesis device is used on it to make it playable there.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2008, 09:15:14 pm »
I think that image doesn't represent the very first time you start the game as a lowly cell creature. But rather once you've played the game a bit and want to simply start on a highly customized planet. The SporeCast section is probably just where you pick a SporeCast that you are already subscribed to (or have favorited or something), to populate your planet with.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline SporeGames

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2008, 04:41:39 am »
500,000 stars, much less 2 million, is as close to infinity as makes no difference in terms of the actual experience of any one player. Can any person ever visit them all, within a human lifespan, much less the short lifespan of a game, or even a given model of computer (before it needs replacement or upgrading)? No. There will always be more out there than any player can ever hope to even glimpse.

One could rush through Spore's space stage, flitting from planet to planet as fast as possible, and still only see but the tiniest fraction of the game, and in the process miss all the small details that make up, say, one single world.

Even if a planet has but 16 unique life forms on it, the combinations of ways in which they can interact, fight, form alliances, avoid each other, chase each other, eat or help or harm each other could provide endless hours of natural science fun. I fully expect to see YouTube nature documentaries about the ecologies of these alien worlds, and some of them might even be funny or interesting. Flitting about means missing all the details.

On the other hand, one could concentrate on only the near region of space and spend hundreds of hours just exploring a handful of worlds to truly get the feeling of them, and of how things live and die on them. Since it has been confirmed that it will be possible to leave the UFO and go on walkabout, the kinds of adventures open up dramatically. Imagine surveying a planet on foot, trying to catalog every life form, or sneak into an alien city without causing a panic, or even playing 'predator' and hunting the most dangerous species one can find.

Faced with such sheer enormity, virtual infinitude, it is interesting - I think - to consider all the play of the game overall. Each player will have their own literally unique experience of Spore. Each will draw their own unique hypothetical line through the galaxy, as they move about from star to star. Some will head straight as possible for the center of the galaxy where something unknown waits, but miss all the wonders of the edge (is there anything just outside that edge? That's a question, isn't it?). Others will trace a wandering path around their homeworld, as they gradually spiral outward, trying to gain a feel for their local region of the galaxy. Still other players may  elect to concentrate on skipping everything but advanced technological worlds, forming alliances to the end of amassing an armada, and claiming an empire. Or perhaps, some will eschew all living worlds, to seek the hope of finding the rumored 'robot' race components, supposedly only to be found on barren, dead worlds.

It is possible that no two people will entirely feel as if they are talking about the same game, in some ways. That, I think, is utterly fascinating.

Of course, Spore has some sharp limitations. Eventually, all of the forms of attack, defense, and behavior of creatures will become a blur, easily generalized into expected action. There is a clear limit to the amount of difference that is possible in the game. Then again, considering the sheer power of the editors, and the determination of some players, it may remain entrancing just to see what somebody has managed to come up with. One could set a personal goal, such as 'collecting' observations of things based on famous or obscure science fiction and fantasy inventions, seeking those things out preferentially, to see what can be done.

It would be literally impossible to conquer the entire galaxy, or to kill all life within it. The game universe is just too large - unless there are weapons of hyper-destruction in the game, capable of blasting entire cubic parsecs at a time. I doubt that. But I would imagine that there could be bragging rights in trying to make the biggest empire with the most species joined, or to kill off the largest region or somesuch.

I think it is going to be an interesting choice, just how to play Spore. To explore in detail, or to rush through, or to seek out rarity, or some combination of these things. I expect players will probably alternate between these behaviors, over time, as they grow bored with one path, and try another in turn.

Wouldn't it be interesting if one day we see two players comparing notes, and neither can easily relate to the other because their paths were so different? If that ever happens, I will be very, very impressed with Spore. 

:O. Will you marry me? j/k