Author Topic: 500,000 Stars  (Read 17062 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: 500,000 Stars
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:56 pm »
Yeah, Caryl said they would range from 400 to 700 "somethings" which is probably some game-only-related unit.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 04:19:58 pm »
 :) In reality all of these equations will likely be flexible. Most of the Xml generation sequences can be tweaked to whatever you like. Personally Id like a galaxy with 80 percent of stars having between 2 and 3 planets. Only 10 percent of them supporting life. I actually dont want to find life. I want to find the void. Vast empty areas to terraform and colonize. With meeting aliens being extremely EXTREMELY rare. On the par of maybe within the first year of playing a galaxy. Haha, I LOVE SPORE! The possibilities are sooo endless!

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 04:23:38 pm »
Aww..now how are we gonna find that earth easter egg? By looking where it's actually located?

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 04:25:32 pm »
:) In reality all of these equations will likely be flexible. Most of the Xml generation sequences can be tweaked to whatever you like. Personally Id like a galaxy with 80 percent of stars having between 2 and 3 planets. Only 10 percent of them supporting life. I actually dont want to find life. I want to find the void. Vast empty areas to terraform and colonize. With meeting aliens being extremely EXTREMELY rare. On the par of maybe within the first year of playing a galaxy. Haha, I LOVE SPORE! The possibilities are sooo endless!
That would honestly suck and remove Spore's point if it was once a year.  Now I would like unlife to be commoner than life, but I don't want life that rare.  Like, maybe 25% of solar systems have at least one planet with an alien coming from it.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »
Aww..now how are we gonna find that earth easter egg? By looking where it's actually located?
that's the idea  ;)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:50 pm »
They said each star would have about 4 planets on average which means some could have 0 others could have 8.

Unfortunately in the same quote where Lucy said there were a couple million stars, she also said that they would have up to 5 planets. 

Now the problem is the Solar system shown in the NASA video.  That clearly had all 8 planets.  Now it would work if they're only talking about having up to 5 "habitable" planets, which don't include the gas giants.  Mercury, Venus, Mars, Earth, and the Moon would make the 5 planets you can terraform in the Solar System. 

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 06:46:57 pm »
They said each star would have about 4 planets on average which means some could have 0 others could have 8.

Unfortunately in the same quote where Lucy said there were a couple million stars, she also said that they would have up to 5 planets. 

Now the problem is the Solar system shown in the NASA video.  That clearly had all 8 planets.  Now it would work if they're only talking about having up to 5 "habitable" planets, which don't include the gas giants.  Mercury, Venus, Mars, Earth, and the Moon would make the 5 planets you can terraform in the Solar System. 
I think she was talking in general. Our solar system is apparently very rare in that it has 8 planets. Most stars don't have that many and they're trying to make the galaxy in spore realistic. She also said in that video that you would be able to find our solar system as an easter egg so I think it's possible for stars to have more than 5 planets but I might have heard wrong/interpreted wrong.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 06:49:54 pm »
Yes, our own solar system is supposed to be in Spore as an easter egg.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 06:52:11 pm »
Yes, our own solar system is supposed to be in Spore as an easter egg.

And I intend to find it even if it takes me years.

Offline SporeGames

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »
Remember that being more realistic doesnt necessarily make it more fun. Being a game, an over-abundance of stars/planets would actually make it impossibly hard to recall and return to places we have already visited. Though I assume there is probably a 'bookmark planet' and 'space-jump to location' feature, my point still stands, I uh... I think?

No. No it doesn't

Offline Jennifer Reitz

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Jenniverse.com
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 07:45:25 pm »
500,000 stars, much less 2 million, is as close to infinity as makes no difference in terms of the actual experience of any one player. Can any person ever visit them all, within a human lifespan, much less the short lifespan of a game, or even a given model of computer (before it needs replacement or upgrading)? No. There will always be more out there than any player can ever hope to even glimpse.

One could rush through Spore's space stage, flitting from planet to planet as fast as possible, and still only see but the tiniest fraction of the game, and in the process miss all the small details that make up, say, one single world.

Even if a planet has but 16 unique life forms on it, the combinations of ways in which they can interact, fight, form alliances, avoid each other, chase each other, eat or help or harm each other could provide endless hours of natural science fun. I fully expect to see YouTube nature documentaries about the ecologies of these alien worlds, and some of them might even be funny or interesting. Flitting about means missing all the details.

On the other hand, one could concentrate on only the near region of space and spend hundreds of hours just exploring a handful of worlds to truly get the feeling of them, and of how things live and die on them. Since it has been confirmed that it will be possible to leave the UFO and go on walkabout, the kinds of adventures open up dramatically. Imagine surveying a planet on foot, trying to catalog every life form, or sneak into an alien city without causing a panic, or even playing 'predator' and hunting the most dangerous species one can find.

Faced with such sheer enormity, virtual infinitude, it is interesting - I think - to consider all the play of the game overall. Each player will have their own literally unique experience of Spore. Each will draw their own unique hypothetical line through the galaxy, as they move about from star to star. Some will head straight as possible for the center of the galaxy where something unknown waits, but miss all the wonders of the edge (is there anything just outside that edge? That's a question, isn't it?). Others will trace a wandering path around their homeworld, as they gradually spiral outward, trying to gain a feel for their local region of the galaxy. Still other players may  elect to concentrate on skipping everything but advanced technological worlds, forming alliances to the end of amassing an armada, and claiming an empire. Or perhaps, some will eschew all living worlds, to seek the hope of finding the rumored 'robot' race components, supposedly only to be found on barren, dead worlds.

It is possible that no two people will entirely feel as if they are talking about the same game, in some ways. That, I think, is utterly fascinating.

Of course, Spore has some sharp limitations. Eventually, all of the forms of attack, defense, and behavior of creatures will become a blur, easily generalized into expected action. There is a clear limit to the amount of difference that is possible in the game. Then again, considering the sheer power of the editors, and the determination of some players, it may remain entrancing just to see what somebody has managed to come up with. One could set a personal goal, such as 'collecting' observations of things based on famous or obscure science fiction and fantasy inventions, seeking those things out preferentially, to see what can be done.

It would be literally impossible to conquer the entire galaxy, or to kill all life within it. The game universe is just too large - unless there are weapons of hyper-destruction in the game, capable of blasting entire cubic parsecs at a time. I doubt that. But I would imagine that there could be bragging rights in trying to make the biggest empire with the most species joined, or to kill off the largest region or somesuch.

I think it is going to be an interesting choice, just how to play Spore. To explore in detail, or to rush through, or to seek out rarity, or some combination of these things. I expect players will probably alternate between these behaviors, over time, as they grow bored with one path, and try another in turn.

Wouldn't it be interesting if one day we see two players comparing notes, and neither can easily relate to the other because their paths were so different? If that ever happens, I will be very, very impressed with Spore. 
Jennifer Diane Reitz

Offline ARCosta

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 02:56:03 am »
Wow... So many letters...

About finding our solar system maybe the position of that easter egg in the galaxy is procedurally generated so that eventually you find it based on playing time or something, you know, like some events occur in a RPG based on time of day or play time.
Green grin

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 04:13:39 am »

About finding our solar system maybe the position of that easter egg in the galaxy is procedurally generated so that eventually you find it based on playing time or something, you know, like some events occur in a RPG based on time of day or play time.

More likely, it could be a wormhole that can take you there. Wormholes may as well be randomly created so discovering the right wormhole would just be a matter of playing the campaign.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 07:40:56 am »

More likely, it could be a wormhole that can take you there. Wormholes may as well be randomly created so discovering the right wormhole would just be a matter of playing the campaign.
I think she actually said that our solar system would be where it actually is. So if you know where our solar system is located in the galaxy you'll have a much better chance of finding it.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:28 am »
Lippy: since when has the moon become a planet ? LOL

I think the amount of life in spore is a bit too high.

I think a 25 to 50% chance of life in a solar system would be better.

Well just lower the percentage of life a bit that would not hurt.

Also another thing could be to make buildings, creatures etc become more and more strange the further away from your home solar system you come. That would really make it intresting to venture longer and longer away.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.