Author Topic: 500,000 Stars  (Read 18486 times)

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: 500,000 Stars
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2008, 05:30:19 am »
Considering there are 20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000* stars in the universe, I think 500,000 is a perfectly reasonable sample size.  The very idea of the latter being represented in a computer game, frankly, boggles my mind.  The former is unthinkable

(*according to David Grinspoon, Lonely Planets)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2008, 08:18:14 pm »
Semi-necro bump.   ;D

I was reminded of a game I played at a friend's house about 13 years ago.   I had totally forgotten about it.  Elite 2: Frontier.  I did a quick search in these forums and found this game mentioned a few times in 2006. 

It was a space game with "realistic" space physics and open ended gameplay.  It had about 100,000,000,000 stars!  And I was impressed with 2 million.  :D each with their own procedurally generated planets/moons/spacestations, etc.  You could see moons (or planets) in the sky.  Night day cycle with accurate stars.   I did a search for it and it's available as shareware.  Yay! http://www.eliteclub.co.uk/download/  You have the ability to zoom in/out of a galaxy view, sector view, and system view. 

Just something to play around with if you were interested.   Perhaps it should be listed in the free PC game list.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »
Semi-necro bump.   ;D

I was reminded of a game I played at a friend's house about 13 years ago.   I had totally forgotten about it.  Elite 2: Frontier.  I did a quick search in these forums and found this game mentioned a few times in 2006. 

It was a space game with "realistic" space physics and open ended gameplay.  It had about 100,000,000,000 stars!  And I was impressed with 2 million.  :D each with their own procedurally generated planets/moons/spacestations, etc.  You could see moons (or planets) in the sky.  Night day cycle with accurate stars.   I did a search for it and it's available as shareware.  Yay! http://www.eliteclub.co.uk/download/  You have the ability to zoom in/out of a galaxy view, sector view, and system view. 

Just something to play around with if you were interested.   Perhaps it should be listed in the free PC game list.

Elite was the FIRST proper video game I ever played. (excluding some BASICA programs i was typing in my first home-built system)

The Elite game on the 8bit computers had 8 galaxies of 256 planets each.

But...

Since there is no memory overhead for creating extra worlds, the game was originally intended to contain approximately 281 trillion galaxies. The number was limited to eight when Acornsoft noted that such a gigantic number would make the artificiality of the game universe evident to the player.

Elite was one of the first game using procedurally generated content. (8 bits make 256 seed numbers) Remember that those old machines had less memory than your average Cell Phone.

Anybody old enough to remember the Trumbles?
They were Spore-like creature that you could buy from a trader and after a while they started breeding and climbing up the HUD until you had millions of them filling up your cargo space (and completely obscuring your vision)
The only way to get rid of them was to dive towards the sun (without blowing yourself up) until they all burnt up.

Those were the days...

Elite also invented the 3D minimap display at the bottom of the screen.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2008, 10:31:54 pm »
Anybody old enough to remember the Trumbles?
They were Spore-like creature that you could buy from a trader and after a while they started breeding and climbing up the HUD until you had millions of them filling up your cargo space (and completely obscuring your vision)
The only way to get rid of them was to dive towards the sun (without blowing yourself up) until they all burnt up.

Tribbles?
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2008, 10:35:38 pm »
I think they were in Star Trek on one of the ollllllld eps

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:07 pm »
I think they were in Star Trek on one of the ollllllld eps

Star Trek episode in 1967.
Elite game in 1984.

Sorry about the spelling mistake but after 24 years my memory is fading a bit.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2008, 12:45:35 am »
noctis contains a massive amount of visitable stars and planets