Author Topic: A customized religion  (Read 9633 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
A customized religion
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:33:17 am »
I had to invent a religion for my Comparative Religions class at school, and so far I've come up with a concept called Transformationism. Is there anything you guys want to add/ change/ remove/ suggest?

1.   Transformationists believe that there are 8 worlds, each on an equal level, where one continues life after death.
2.   Each world is unique and has its own qualities, none is more heavenly or better than the other
3.   When a person dies, his soul is judged by a panel of 8 gods. They determine his worth and decide which world he goes to.
4.   Each person fits each world differently. What might be the best world, and the ultimate reward, for someone would be the worst hell for someone else.
5.   You are judged according to how you acted toward others, nothing else. If you helped more people than you hurt and you lived your life virtuously, you ascend a world. If you harm more than you help, you descend a world.
6.   The gods are all omniscient of their own worlds and can communicate back and forth, though they have decided not to use their power to alter the paths of the mortals so that they can have an accurate judgment.
7.   The universe and the worlds were never created, they have existed for all time.
8.   There are 8 festivals every year, one on each equinox, one every solstice, and midway between all these days. The God of Earth is celebrated on the longest day of the year in June with large parties and an overt awareness of kindness.
9.   The religion stresses that life is a continual cycle and that one world is not just a test for the next.
10.   Anybody who renounces any contradictory faith is allowed in the Church
11.   There is a wide degree of individual autonomy in this faith, with absolutely no formal authority, just their official doctrine to keep everything in place

For the church's symbol, I want to put an octagram inside a circle to represent the interconnecting worlds and gods, and to represent interpersonal obligation and connection. The circle is obviously for the never-ending circle of life.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: A customized religion
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:36:22 am »
Hmm...

I have no real objection over this.
Interesting no less, and I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Comparative Religions class.
Good job 762.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇´)人(´∇`)人(`∇´)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:47:52 am »
               Comparative Religions class. Interesting, I haven't heard of that before. Seems like a nice place to discuss things. Too bad I don't have a subject like that. :(

So basically, The Eight are like Universal Administrators? ???

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:57:22 am »
You talk about ascending and descending, but you say none is more heavenly than another.  Contradiction?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:58:28 am »
So your religion doesn't actualy tell anyone what to do, it's just a cosmology? Individual Gods need to be fleshed out more. Why bother being good if you're only going to go somewhere that's the same as Earth anyway?

Paradox; if the universe extends back infinitely through time, time could never reach the present day, since there would be a point in the past where this is infinitely in the future. I think you need a creation myth.

So that's a few problems there.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:39 am »
Your religion has a crippling paradox, that means it's legitimate! You've done good, you've done damn good...

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:06:11 am »
I have a suggestion for a creation paradox (I mean myth, or story, or whatever!)

Sometime in the past, there were strings floating around and marbles floating around.  The strings tied themselves to one another, and formed the MEGAGOD.  The MEGAGOD then untied himself to make the eight gods.  The eight gods collected the marbles and built eight universes, each with one color of the marbles.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:24:26 am »
holy sloths anyone? ;D
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 10:25:58 am »
Hmm...

Sloths are actually the children of the gods.  The gods look like sloths themselves, humans are merely made from marbles.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:58 am »
You need something really stupid to center things around... like a cup or a box or something.

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:17 am »
I suggested strings and marbles.  If you need something stupider, than there was a divine cat that only spoke in pig latin in a high voice, who created the strings and marbles by coughing them up.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:43:07 am »
Strings and marbles are a choking hazard, that'll drive parents of young children away from the religion. We need something that is easy to find and something that cannot be swallowed.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 10:44:13 am »
but sloths are all fuzzy and huggable!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 10:44:48 am »
Hmm.. how about the apocalypse paradox is that eventually, the cat will swallow the ropes and marbles, causing everything to disappear?  It could be like Aesop:  Do not choke.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 10:45:51 am »
Humorous novelty hats?  Each god has it's own hat, which is worn on it's festival.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.