Author Topic: A customized religion  (Read 9706 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: A customized religion
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 07:59:08 pm »
If society is better off as a whole because that person lived, then that person will ascend. If he kills an innocent mother of two, that's not helping society. If he kills a serial rapist, then society has improved because of him.

Only the Council can decide if the action was helpful or harmful.  ;) Just do whatever you think is righteous and hope the gods agree.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 08:00:12 pm »
What if you do nothing of real consequence/the good and bad cancel one another out and neither was bigger?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 08:02:54 pm »
Not to a murderer. And not to a Muslim.

Lets put it this way.

Morals are subjective. However, if you take into account the morals of an all encompassing being, it is not subjective anymore, but objective. For example, your feet might have a different opinion from your hands because they are subjective. However, if you consider your entire body, it isn't subjective anymore, in respect to it's different parts. Get it?

Individuals

Everythings
  = Subjective

= All encompassing = Objective

Study the military chain of command and you'll get what I mean.

Now go to the socio-political thread and discuss it there you two.

If society is better off as a whole because that person lived, then that person will ascend. If he kills an innocent mother of two, that's not helping society. If he kills a serial rapist, then society has improved because of him.

Only the Council can decide if the action was helpful or harmful.  ;) Just do whatever you think is righteous and hope the gods agree.

Basically, they're jusdged by their hearts, just like irl?

What if you do nothing of real consequence/the good and bad cancel one another out and neither was bigger?
I'd reckon that wouldn't happen since there are actually no gray areas.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 08:03:34 pm »
you ascend/ descend based on how much good or bad you did. So let's say you're on your level 4 world. You do some slight wrong, you may go to level 3. You're Osama Bin Laden, you go to 1. You're mother teresa, you go to 8. If you live a modest life according to your values, then that's considered a plus as long as you didn't hurt anybody.

It doesn't have to be a big dramatic improvement. You don't have to cure AIDS to move up a level or two. If you fall in love, get married, have kids, work an honest job, and give back to your community, that's certainly considered doing good.

Keep up the criticism and questions, guys. It's just making my concept stronger before I have to present it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:05:10 pm by 762 »

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:51 pm »
But, THEORETICALLY, what would happen to someone who never did anything in their life but eat and grow, and they never did anything else or made contact?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 08:09:22 pm »
But, THEORETICALLY, what would happen to someone who never did anything in their life but eat and grow, and they never did anything else or made contact?

So if he was kept in a closet attached to an IV for 80 years until he died? Then he would probably restart in the same world.

Whoever did that to him, though, would certainly descend a world or two.

Offline Mr. Guy

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Puppets are people too.
    • View Profile
    • Muppet Central
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 08:40:59 pm »
Hmmm...  What would it be like to be trapped in a closet for your life?  Pretty boring I imagine but maybe you'd entertain yourself.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:52 pm »
Me and my friend had a huge conversation about a guy who would be trapped in a pure white room his whole life, the food, walls, and him would be painted pure white. He were thinking about what he would eat about, dream about, etc. etc. then we were wondering what would happen if some one put a red marble in that room...

Any way, I think you should elaborate more on the gods and how they got there. You can say that they were all ways there, but what about how (or why) they made the planets, life, etc. (or even if they did make all those things).
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 02:42:11 am »
Alcohol as a spiritual medium to connect with the Gods?

As far as I can deduce that = free beer in church
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 02:49:38 am »
Man, that would almost make Christianity worth it.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 04:46:39 am »
...Almost... Not quite.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 05:36:28 am »
Yeah, that kind of thinking almost makes believing in pentagrams and potions worth it desu.

...Almost... Not quite desu.

Hontoni desu. Kore-wa janku desu.

Seriously, confined thinking screws up with the mind desu.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 07:03:27 am »
Why aren't there deities of immorality? If you're judged on what kind of person you are and you only ever enjoyed hurting people, how can they condemn you? If you followed the righteous path and were nice to people, would they fix you or give you worlds of people who enjoy suffering?
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 07:30:18 am »
And remember to make Friday and Saturday holy days. Nothing but pleasure, fun and debauchery should be achieved on these days.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 07:33:42 am »
What of worshiping these gods? What if you worship one but your personality type is more fitted to another? Whose world do you go to?
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.