Author Topic: Braces: I admit It's not Beer in a thread, but it's coming for me.  (Read 3278 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
I've already mentioned this in the off topic topic, but I figured I'd start a new thread so people can discuss their experiences with braces or orthodontic gear of any sort.

Anyway, I'm getting braces. It won't be for about 6 months, but preparations have begun.
For the past couple days I've had spacers in my mouth.
They are light blue and sort of cool to see in the mirror.
Their presence has also caused my gums to produce a level of immense pain whenever I try to chew anything thicker than a milkshake.

I imagine this will wear off...at some point.

Still, I would like to solicit any personal experiences fourmgoers have had with Braces or Spacers or anything similar. It would interest me to find out how you guys got/are getting through it.

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Braces: It's not Beer in a thread. But it's coming for me.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:58:22 pm »
I quite enjoyed the odd pain caused by the braces... I know I'm not alone in this because I knew a girl who was the same way. Anyone else?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: Braces: It's not Beer in a thread. But it's coming for me.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:59:12 pm »
I currently have braces. They really aren't that bad, unless you're eating or flossing. Flossing just takes a while..eating..don't eat fast food hamburger bread..it tends to get stuck. Spacers, in my opinion, were worse. I just recently got rubber bands, so..

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: Braces: I admit It's not Beer in a thread, but it's coming for me.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:03:49 pm »
Yeah, it felt like it was doing something when you felt a slight pain. It was like the more pain you felt now, the sooner they would be off.

When you get them, I'd recommend against the "clear" porcelain ones. They're clear for the first 2 days, then the clear banding turns yellow and nasty as ****. Just get normal braces.

They'll give you a list of what not to eat. you can pretty much throw that out. For the first few weeks, take it easy with the difficult foods while you get used to them, but then after that it's no problem. Just don't chew ice or jawbreakers or anything stupid like that.

White bread always got stuck between my teeth and the braces. You may want to invest in wraps.

I had braces, rubber bands, and a palette expander, which basically just pushes your teeth outward from the top of your mouth. That wasn't that bad, but food always got stuck on top. Are you getting one of those?

How old are you? I didn't get mine on until I was 3 months away from 17. That wasn't fun, just getting mine on when everyone else already got theirs off. Just remember that everyone has to go through this and that you're not being judged for your braces. People understand that you're like 90% of people who need them.

Good luck with the spacers. And they'll get better in a few days. You should be almost completely used to them in like a week.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:05:54 pm »
I had porcelains, they're fine as long as you get the gray bands on the brackets.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:09:06 pm »
I am 17...so it should be fun.   8)

I wasn't entirely aware I had a choice in the matter of what the braces were made of though...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:20 pm »
The worst part about my experience with braces had to be the head gear. At first I was only supposed to wear it at night but it was so big and bulky you couldn't wear it and fall asleep at the same time. After about 3 months of sleepless nights and a noticeable drop in grades, my orthodontist changed his mind about wearing it to bed and said I had to wear it right when I got home. Unfortunately this failed simply because of my lack of will power and the fact they hurt like a bitch for the first 30 minutes of wearing them. After another 6 months I simply said **** it and went with the alternative, getting 2 of my upper teeth pulled. I must say if you have a choice between headgear and having teeth pulled... Go with having your teeth pulled. A few minutes of pain is immensely better than a couple months of suffering. So yeah, I am now short two maxillary first premolars and I'm going to start wearing a retainer sometime next week.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:31:41 pm »
Yeah headgear sucked pretty bad, I tried it for a few nights and just said screw it and stopped wearing them. I just had springs put in my mouth for a few weeks, not nearly as uncomfortable or painful. Now, I am rid of my braces and only need to wear a retainer all the time, although I'm only wearing it at night because I'm lazy.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:13:49 pm »
I had a plate, then braces, then a big plate, then braces, and now I've got retainers.

For the first few days of my proper braces (the first set were only on the front 4 upper teeth) all I could eat was stuff like ice cream, very finely cut spaghetti etc, the pain was that bad. The wax they gave me to put on the wire at the back never worked, and flossing was an absolute bitch. Now I have two retainers. the bottom one is the hard acrylic-like stuff with the wire to grab your teeth, while the top one is one of those flexible mouth guard-type retainers, which sucks. Ive already worn through it on the bottom of one of my canines, and while it is quite flexible I think the conventional style is better.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:35:16 am »
I got my braces off 2 weeks ago.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:02 am »
Ouch dude,Braces suck.I had them once but never again,thank God!

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 01:42:33 pm »
I had a retainer for all of 2004. It was fine after a week but smelt rank when I took it out for bed/anything.

I loved pushing it against my mouth because it made a kind of (how should I put this...) pleasant pain. You will see what I mean if you really clamp your teeth together.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 02:09:03 pm »
I had an incompetent spanish lady put my braces in and when she took casts of my teeth (that nasty tasting pink gunk) she messed it up 8 times...do you know how horrible that stuff is? the braces weren't so bad but having my mouth filled with rubber bands was pretty much the last straw so i never wore them hell i dont even wear this stupid retainer they want me to wear for the rest of my life! (dont call me irresponsible or ill choke you)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 02:33:11 pm »
Kaizer, wear it for about 2 or 3 years. If you don't, your teeth WILL shift back. Ok, they're probably shift back. But still....better safe than sorry. Besides, after that amount of time, the bone should be hardened again.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 02:34:53 pm »
I already have then when I went back to them for the last time they said I had to wear it 24/7 for the rest of my life then I just threw them out once I left