Author Topic: Creature Creator Analysis  (Read 7949 times)

Offline DarkSkies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Creator Analysis
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 08:36:52 am »
I feel that Spore is going to be a big let down since the 05 video was shown.
Promising one thing but delivering another. Hopefully we will see some mods that enhance the game for its full potential rather than buying 10 expansion packs.

Maybe Spore 2 will be better...........

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 08:51:06 am »
Promising one thing but delivering another. Hopefully we will see some mods that enhance the game for its full potential rather than buying 10 expansion packs.

???

Will Wright is, in my opinion, the greatest game designer of our time. Sim City, The Sims, Sim Tower, Sim Copter, and so on, have all been amazingly entertaining and addictive. You're free to expect a disaster, but given his track record, it's far more reasonable to assume that Spore will be one hell of a game.

Anyways, this has little to do with the creature editor (especially since the editor is far more robust than it was in the gdc 2005 video).

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:34 am »

What does Spore not deliver ? Sure, no watercreatures, but everything else and more we've seen from then on.

I smell a troll.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 10:30:05 am »
I don't undersstand either. The GCD05 video was certainly revolution but if you see the cell stage right now it's much more organic that the abstract, almost geometric thing it was in the gdc05 video. Also lots of things were missing in action, you could have procedural verbs and it's kind of the only time ww explicitly showed that but who says you can't still do this ? (eating and dragging etc),

The key features of spore were incredible if you saw it fo the first time, but they are so much smoother and more polised now, and back then nothing was known about spice, dna points, transitions, and many other gamplay elements.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 11:50:42 am »
I don't undersstand either. The GCD05 video was certainly revolution but if you see the cell stage right now it's much more organic that the abstract, almost geometric thing it was in the gdc05 video. Also lots of things were missing in action, you could have procedural verbs and it's kind of the only time ww explicitly showed that but who says you can't still do this ? (eating and dragging etc),

The key features of spore were incredible if you saw it fo the first time, but they are so much smoother and more polised now, and back then nothing was known about spice, dna points, transitions, and many other gamplay elements.

Exactly will wrights team really expanded the depth of each gameplay experience. From city trading, to interesting space missions, even more graphical flora detail, a plethora of creature parts (compared to the limited editor in GDC 05), the ability to put clothing on your creatures, the list goes on of additions what we did not know existed back then. I believe the game will deliver and exceed in many areas. Yea sure we did not get "everything" that we have seen, but that is fine. For the game to actually be released the have to cut somethings.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 03:59:09 pm »
Sorry for the double but yeah i am positive it was stats related. I am also going to say i believe there are stats that we do not obviously see. The reason the meter went up when he lengthened the spine is because the bigger the creature the more powerful. Size has to have some kind of stat or creature performance factor, It just may not be as obvious as the rest.

But if you look at that video not only did that guy have power, speed ,health, social part he also choose many 4th and 3rd brain level parts and doubled them. their was two 3rd brain level ziggurats and two  4th level Ram horns. Not to mention the higher tier feet on a total of 6 legs the mouth 4 arms hands eyes and the social leaf he had on the back.

Combine this with the fact we have seen far more complex creatures and that tells me it was stat related.

I spent some time analyzing it today  :).

I think the higher your brain level, the more complex you are allowed to make your creature (i.e., higher stats allowed).

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 04:31:25 pm »

I think the higher your brain level, the more complex you are allowed to make your creature (i.e., higher stats allowed).

Thats very possible actually. I didn't think of that.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 07:26:24 pm »
Oviraptor makes a good point, it takes more brain power to control more things. And evolving the brain might only be something that you can do in the actual game, as opposed the CC.