Author Topic: Birthdays!  (Read 106177 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Birthdays!
« Reply #780 on: April 10, 2017, 02:59:25 am »
When energy (think heat) moves between two things, if you analyze the particles and energies, there is a loss of some amount of energy 'organization.'
Organization here means how many ways quanta of energy can be arranged. The fewer possibilities, the more orderly it is, the more possibilities, the less orderly.

Isolated systems can reduce entropy within by increasing it elsewhere: cooling a room with AC forces the air particles into a less chaotic state at the cost of work. The work is supplied by electricity (low entropy) but when it forces the AC to function, it gets converted into motion and heat energy (high entropy), which goes outside.

Eventually, entropy will lead to a homogenized universe in which nothing can happen because there are no energy gradients left; no physical reactions will occur because there is no way to make a thing happen without two objects having some energetic difference. If the universe is just composed of single temperature heat energy, life can't exist.

This is the heat death of the universe.

Not even information can survive it. And eventually, even protons decay, so don't go thinking making something out of matter will save it.

tl;dr some stuff is hot, some stuff is cold, and energy goes from hot to cold and you can't make it go backward anywhere without making it happen faster elsewhere. Eventually everything will be the same temp and then stuff stops happening.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:16:26 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 10, 2017, 03:19:09 am »
its why you cant put the hot back into your coffee

(you can make new hot, though)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #782 on: April 10, 2017, 03:22:21 am »
(you can make new hot, though)

By using chemical or electrical energy that has some energetic difference (chemical bonding energy or voltage) and converting it into heat at the expense of their potential energy differences.

It's like the loss of the 'slope' that a stationary ball rolls down to have motion at the bottom. Entropy is the loss of energy differences.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:26:29 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 10, 2017, 04:40:59 pm »
That's the birthday spirit!
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #784 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:39 pm »
i have aged
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 22, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
Gross.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile