Author Topic: About using the abduction ray on vehicles.  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Mighdas

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Cybertronian God
    • View Profile
About using the abduction ray on vehicles.
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:23:02 pm »
I just realized, Will might have actually confirmed it waaaaaaay back in the GDC 05 video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA</a>

At 22:32, as Will is abducting those spider things, his beam gets near a tank. When it does, he says "Oh, I don't want a tank, get away."

If he said that, that would mean that he could do it, but simply did not want to.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: About using the abduction ray on vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:33 pm »
THE GDC 05 VIDEO WAS ACTING AND ANIMATION.  IT WASN'T INGAME.  HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:28:29 pm »
THE GDC 05 VIDEO WAS ACTING AND ANIMATION.  IT WASN'T INGAME.  HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS?

Oh and you must be an expert on the matter, I don't see why anyone should believe your conspiracy theories.

The 2005 video was a modified version of The Sims 2 engine and a very early prototype. If it had been previously rendered there would be no need for them to display creatures missing textures inside the editor, among other stuff.

It would also require Will to be an amazing actor and a big fat liar :(
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:33:54 pm »

Oh and you must be an expert on the matter, I don't see why anyone should believe your conspiracy theories.

The 2005 video was a modified version of The Sims 2 engine and a very early prototype. If it had been previously rendered there would be no need for them to display creatures missing textures inside the editor, among other stuff.

First one:Of course there would be textureless creatures in the creator!   At that design stage, they thought that there wouldn't be textures in the editor unless you were applying them.
Second:EA forced Will to lie, he didn't lie himself.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:16:35 pm »

First one:Of course there would be textureless creatures in the creator!   At that design stage, they thought that there wouldn't be textures in the editor unless you were applying them.

you miss the point though, it would mean he would have had to have learnt exactly what would happen and time his movements and speaking to sync with that by the second, which is impossible.

but yeah i believe this is possible/confirmedish

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:32:55 pm »

I would be really surprised if they forced him to act and follow an animation. However I wouldn't be surprised if they had finished a free-roaming system where he could visit every planet and I wouldn't be surprised if they had written those creatures as a simple script so that they would always appear where they were. Thus making him follow a script sort of like how NPC's in games does something after you do something. You know, scripted.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:15:03 pm »
Wright is very big on prototyping.

Prototyping requires a playable, functional version of what you're aiming for. It's usually built on modified existing technology.

Creating some kind of absurd video animation would be entirely contrary to that. Also, do you have any idea how difficult it would be to pretend like you're "playing" a video?

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »
It's possible Will Wright himself was a video and that's why it looked natural..

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:05:04 pm »
Shouldn't you be going on about how 9/11 was fake, TTT? You seem to know how that whole thing works.

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 07:07:22 pm »
I just realized, Will might have actually confirmed it waaaaaaay back in the GDC 05 video

(video)

At 22:32, as Will is abducting those spider things, his beam gets near a tank. When it does, he says "Oh, I don't want a tank, get away."

If he said that, that would mean that he could do it, but simply did not want to.

That's a really far fetched "confirmation". You should be more careful with your conclusions.
The discussion whether the GDC 05 was premade or an actual version of the game is totally moot, because, whatever it was, it has not much left in common with what we have today. The whole game has been continously improved, which means things have changed. Maybe to such a degree that some things are now completely different.
Just because it looks similar doesn't mean the code is the same...

I know that I can be wrong about those things, but you have to know that too. Reading all the posts here, people don't seem to be aware of their possible fallacies.
It's not a shame to be wrong, but stubbornly sticking to what you think is right although common sense and the facts are against you makes you look stupid (because it is stupid).

Creating some kind of absurd video animation would be entirely contrary to that. Also, do you have any idea how difficult it would be to pretend like you're "playing" a video?

Nobody said it was a video. It may be just a basic game that has all it needs for the demonstration.
For example: In the presentation he never used the vehicle editor. He picked a vehicle for his tanks, but he didn't change it. I don't know if that editor would have worked at that time or not, but I don't think so.
Again... Just because it looks similar doesn't mean the code is the same. You can't know what's really behind the GDC 05 presentation if you don't believe Will Wright.

btw, he said the GDC 05 was "based on the sims 2 engine" and "held together by ducttape"...I don't think WW builds a game based on a tinkered pile of code.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:11:46 pm by GrapeFruit »
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:15:16 pm »
Shouldn't you be going on about how 9/11 was fake, TTT? You seem to know how that whole thing works.
9/11 wasn't fake.  But, I bet that somewhere, those terrorists jumped out with parachutes and are still hiding somewhere, just to spite us.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 07:16:19 pm »
9/11 wasn't fake.  But, I bet that somewhere, those terrorists jumped out with parachutes and are still hiding somewhere, just to spite us.
Ah, so you're the REPUBLICAN conspiracy nutcase.

Offline Mighdas

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Cybertronian God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:27 pm »
It's not a shame to be wrong, but stubbornly sticking to what you think is right although common sense and the facts are against you makes you look stupid (because it is stupid).

Were you referring to me? Because I haven't even replied yet(excluding this one). The first 8 replies were getting off topic, and the last few replies were somehow about 9/11. Now I ask you, do I look stupid?

I only understood the first paragraph of that post, the second... not so much...

-End of line
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:48:57 pm by Mighdas »

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 10:31:56 pm »
wow so i will agree that the 2005 was a tech demo. 

Remember how he talked about one of the benefits of the procedural parts was that youd be able to rip individual parts off and eat them.

Now we have some pretty disney death animations...

Let's not forget the underwater phase, which no longer exists.

If that doesn't prove it was a tech demo, what is?

I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:33:23 pm »
Remember how he talked about one of the benefits of the procedural parts was that youd be able to rip individual parts off and eat them.
Wait, seriously? Nice..