Author Topic: I dislike authors who live off their hits.  (Read 12773 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: I hate authors who live off their hits.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 02:45:58 am »
Pratchett is popular in the UK, which is another reason why I hate his books so much.
I really do not like what you are trying to imply here.

And what, exactly, am i implying?

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 05:21:19 pm »
I think he thinks you're saying that being popular in the UK is a bad hting.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 06:31:26 pm »
I read the first three in the Wheel of Time series. Eh, they were all right. Not anything amazing.

And then I tried to read the fourth one...and after about the 100th page I realized that NOTHING had happened yet. I'm serious, NOTHING. I was incredibly bored.

So I returned it too the library and haven't even thought about picking it up since.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 06:10:06 am »
I live in the UK - it's fine to say that since i have lived here for many years.  Also, it IS a bad thing that bad authors are popular... anywhere!

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2005, 10:05:32 pm »
They can't be bad authors if people buy they're books though. They might be bad to you, but obviously someone likes them.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2005, 11:57:39 pm »
Quixote is great!

I've even sung in the musical! But I havn't seen the Wishbone episode...um...havn't seen Wishbone...is that an American thing?
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Anou Mawi

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 12:16:03 am »
Yes, it is baced on books.
I have never read any of these books you speak of,the only series I like is LOTR and Harry Potter, Rolling lives off her hits, but they are so differed.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 12:25:13 am »
Wishbone's sort of a for-kids/ show that is about a dog that reinacts fameous literature, and usually acts as a main character in whichever book is being covered, if I remember correctly.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 01:39:04 am »
Yes, it is baced on books.
I have never read any of these books you speak of,the only series I like is LOTR and Harry Potter, Rolling lives off her hits, but they are so differed.

Even though i am no avid LOTR geek, what i do know is that Tolkien is dead, and did NOT churn out hundreds of LOTR books, hence he did no milk off his hits.  He wrote the LOTR, the Silmarilion(spelling?) and various other tales about his world (Middle Earth) - the depth with which he has populated his world is incredible... he even made up the languages!  Fantasy authors nowerdays milk off Tolkien's work - which is no better than Agatha Christie and Terry Pratchett.

And i'm sorry, but i've not seen one respectable adult in the UK read a Terry Pratchett as of late - only kids.  And if you were unfortunate enough to see the launch of the newest Harry Potter books on the NEWS (yes people... sad isn't it), and how some kids were saying how it was the "best day of their life", then their opinions do not matter if that's how they react to those kinds of books.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 02:19:44 am »
Terry Goodkind is probably the best fantasy-setting author I know of who is still writing books. The Sword of Truth series is pure gold. If you have A LOT of time on your hands or are an avid reader I highly suggest these books. Beware though they tend to be very graphic at points. Also they have nothing, absolutely nothing in common with Tolkien and his works. No elves, no dwarfs, no silly goblins and orcs. It's pure gold, baby!

Anyone here actually read the Similarion? Boy, was that a hassle.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 02:53:09 am »
My brother loves the Silmarilion - can't say i've bothered with it myself, orcs and goblins and elves get very old, very quickly. Hmm, never heard of this Terry Goodkind, i'll have to check him out after i've read the books i've got lined up.

EDIT - Scipion you've got over 500 posts already!  Do you live here? :P

Offline Anou Mawi

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 08:33:31 pm »
I am reading it.
Yes Tolkien is dead, not the point.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 01:46:05 am »
I am reading it.
Yes Tolkien is dead, not the point.

It is the point, hence he is not milking off it, his family is - there's a difference.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 11:24:58 am »
I will certainly agree that Mr. Pratchett has written quite a lot and not all of it has been stellar but he has crafted an incredibly rich world for something that was originally meant as a joke and his books don't feel like a series like Robert Jordan.  Instead, they're more like little visits to see what's new on the Disc.  I disagree that his books are for children (except for his children's Discworld books which are some of the creepiest things I've read) and think that he has a lot to offer for people who like quirky British writing and just fun reads.  The first two books in the Gormenghast series are a good read if you have a lot of patience.  -leeman

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 09:00:48 am »
I enjoy the works of Harry Turtledove and Robert Forstchen (sp?), their books are usually alternative history, and tend to be quite graphic, but neither author has ever had a problem ending a series and moving on.