Author Topic: I dislike authors who live off their hits.  (Read 12947 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
I dislike authors who live off their hits.
« on: March 22, 2005, 08:33:09 am »
Just would like to rant for a bit - I'm in a bad mood.

I dislike authors who live off their hit novels/series.  For example, take Agatha Christie and Terry Pratchett.  Agatha Christie is a very poor author who wrote countless books about the ridiculous Inspector Poirot, and they were ALL the same.  Rich people murdering each other, and Poirot comes up with an ingenious way of figuring out who did it.  Great, that's cool for the first book... but after you write another 50?  What a pleb... I can't believe the idiots who read these "stories".

She wrote about NOTHING else, and yet she is considered a great author.  Why?  The stories are predictable, the writing is poor (I've written better stuff than her - and I'm not joking) and she wrote a truckload of them.  And then you get the other authors who copy her style and write similar books, who recieve equally critical acclaim... and then you get the parody artists who decide it would be funny to parody her stuff, and to make "funny" plays/spoofs/books on it.  Get this, it's NOT funny - ever.  Stop writing and get a job in a supermarket to let real authors get on with their work and recieve the acclaim they deserve.

Okay... that's the witch Agatha Christie done (Oh how I hate her...), time for award winning kiddie's novelist Terry Pratchett.  Now I picked up one of his "amazing" little fantasy books one day, because I was bored and had read all the real books that I had available in the place I was, and was shocked.  Not only is his writing poor, but he has like whole library sections dedicated to his books which all seem the same.  I shortly stopped reading that book, but have picked up bits and pieces about his "novels" from people. 

They go on about these stupid creatures and say how funny they are, telling me to "read it or I won't see the funny side".  Maybe it's funny for kids... but please stop forcing this illiterate nonsense on me.  Why does this imbecilic bumpkin get so much acclaim for his stupid "Discworld" series which spans about a thousand books about stupid animals which he's made up?  Why does everybody love him?  He's earned millions by re-writing his stupid stories much like Agatha Christie I presume, and is living an easy life.  Doesn't anyone get jealous and feel spite towards this? 

Personally I think that there should be a "Lazy a**hole's" section in libraries so that I don't have to forage through rows of Terry Pratchett and Agatha Christie's crap to get to some real literature.

Well that's about it.  I think we can affirm that I hate authors who live off their stupid novels which are just repeats of themselves, as well as Keanu Reeves and Vin Diesal.  Wow, feels great to get that off my chest...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 07:17:57 am by Lord Janos »

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: I hate authors who live off their hits.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 08:45:01 am »
Never read Agatha Christie, never will, doesn't even remotely interest me. Now Terry Pratchett, I've read almost every book he's written, and I love almost all of them. I like Diskworld because it's so different, the characters are great, the story lines twist and turn (the Watch books are my favorite). Most of all, what I read in his books makes me laugh and that's what counts. I enjoy authors who write like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Sure lines like "It smelled like the color green on a warm sunny day" are silly, but it makes you think what that's supposed to be describing. I'm about half-way through The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and I can't wait to read more of it.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:59:49 am »
Fair enough, if you find it funny.  But I still think it's poor literature.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 09:02:53 am »
It's supposed to be funny though, he's not writing novels or anything. Cept for some of his non-Diskworld books, which are still awsome.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:20:01 am »
It's funny for the first few books... but after the legions of them that are available?  It just angers me that someone can write, "The air smelled like the colour red" (or whatever it was) or something similar in each book and become rich and loved for it.  It's cheap and lazy.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 12:01:03 pm »
Okay, you want to talk about authors who live off their hits? Agatha Christie? Terry Pratchett? Please, they are nothing compared to the king of all "okay, here's the latest book in my series and I promise to end it ... before I die (maybe)".

I give you the king of never-ending series ... Robert Jordan.

I was reading The Wheel of Time series since it first came out ("was" being the keyword since I stopped reading it long ago). At first his series was supposed to be a trilogy. And you can see lots of that in the first three books. In fact, after they semi-kill the "main bad guy" the "backup bad guys" appear and actually have the nerve to say "Oh yeah, that main backup bad guy was so crazy that he actually thought it was the main bad guy"! :o Are you freaking kidding me?

So then it was supposed to end in six books, which went onto seven, and then eight and now he said it will end when it will end. And this series has been going on for almost 20 years now. And the last book? The last book? I didn't read it but I actually heard from my friends that the book did nothing but rehash the previous books in the series. That's it. That was the entire book.

In fact for fun I looked up Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series to see what the rating were for these books. Now remember, these books are all New York Times best sellers and I have almost never seen anything rated on Amazon.com with less than 3 1/2 stars. Never.

The Eye of the World - 4 stars
The Great Hunt - 4 1/2 stars
The Dragon Reborn - 4 stars
The Shadow Rising - 4 stars
The Fires of Heaven - 4 stars
Lord of Chaos - 4 stars
The Path of Daggers - 3 stars
Winter's Heart - 3 1/2 stars
Crossroads of Twilight - 1 1/2 stars :o

This guy must be stopped. I actually stopped reading unfinished series because of this guy.

Now Terry Pratchett? At least his books are light and fun. I like his stuff, still need to catch up on my Discworld books. What is he up to? Number 30?!?

Oh yeah, I read that Terry Pratchett is so popular in the UK that 1 out of every 10 books sold is one of his. And I believe it!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 02:02:43 pm »
In fact for fun I looked up Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series to see what the rating were for these books. Now remember, these books are all New York Times best sellers and I have almost never seen anything rated on Amazon.com with less than 3 1/2 stars. Never.

The Eye of the World - 4 stars
The Great Hunt - 4 1/2 stars
The Dragon Reborn - 4 stars
The Shadow Rising - 4 stars
The Fires of Heaven - 4 stars
Lord of Chaos - 4 stars
The Path of Daggers - 3 stars
Winter's Heart - 3 1/2 stars
Crossroads of Twilight - 1 1/2 stars :o

This guy must be stopped. I actually stopped reading unfinished series because of this guy.

Testify!

I liked the first two or three books in Wheel of Time. Lan in particular was a great character. But by Book Six or so, my brain was starting to hurt. There was at least one book (I want to say Lord of Chaos) where basically nothing happened between the first two chapters and last two chapters. I stalled out at Winter's Heart about a year ago, and have never really gotten any urge to pick it back up.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 02:40:01 pm »
Pratchett is popular in the UK, which is another reason why I hate his books so much.  "Light and fun" is fine - it just doesn't deserve all the acclaim it gets.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 07:18:31 pm »
Janos, it's just not your style. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hahahaha, Robert Jordan! I read the first 2 books, I'd rather put my eyes out than read the rest. I've heard really bad things about them. Like in one he spends the whole book killing some guys and they come back to life at the end.

Offline Eagle13

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Reality is an artificial construct
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 12:34:08 am »
I uasaly dont have an issue with authors, as I tend to reserch the book before I purchase them. While I agree with most, series that go on and on with no visable end/story warping is realy bad for the readers.

I only problems I have are when book discriptions are over rated/sterched beyond the truth, when presented in the summary.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 11:40:04 am by Eagle13 »
We create reality, reality does not create us. Thus is the question, if we stop beleving in reality, then what are our limitations on pursuing our dreams?

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 09:54:38 am »
To put it simply when I'm in a library, i pick up books based on their title, cover art, and if I get a good feel for it. I don't bother to read the inside panel in them or anything. I can usually tell what's good and what's going to suck like that.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 11:35:35 am »
To put it simply when I'm in a library, i pick up books based on their title, cover art, and if I get a good feel for it. I don't bother to read the inside panel in them or anything. I can usually tell what's good and what's going to suck like that.

What do you do when you see a plain copy of Don Quixote with nothing but the title and author on it then?  I'd read the blurb before enjoying the cover art. 

Offline Ferret

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • PHP Princess
    • View Profile
    • Ferretgames.com
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 05:58:37 pm »
Pratchett is popular in the UK, which is another reason why I hate his books so much.
I really do not like what you are trying to imply here.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 06:09:54 pm »
If I see a plain copy of Don Quixote I pass it up, cause I've already read it, seen the movie, and seen the Wishbone Episode of it.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 06:19:54 pm »
If I see a plain copy of Don Quixote I pass it up, cause I've already read it, seen the movie, and seen the Wishbone Episode of it.

Wishbone? My mom watches that show ... she loves that little dog!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve