Author Topic: Absinths creations  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
Absinths creations
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:13:08 am »
For my first post i decided to not design some creatures like most do here, but instead i did some planets and space scenes.
All these pictures i created from scratch with photoshop and only for the orange gasgiant i used a picture from a galaxy that i found on google as a background.
Let me know if you like them, also constructive criticism is always welcome.

Sun and rocky planet

Gasgiant 1

Gasgiant 2

Earthlike planet with a moon

The beginning of a galaxy

Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
Re: Absinths creations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:27:39 am »
Ok, Sun with planet.

The sun needs some colour, no sun is white. Unless it's a dead star. The planet doesn't seem round enough, try spherizing again at 100%. Also, the clone stamping is too obvious. Use some other layering, like multiply to create canyons, or screen to make mountains. Also, there is no bloom at the edge of the planet where the shadow is. Not even when the shadow is that faint.

Gasgiant 1:
Pretty; but what's that sharp edge on the reflection? Erase the hard edges for a smoother effect.

Gasgiant 2
Just a circle with spatter on it, sorry :-/. It's totally out of place in that background.

Earthlike planet with moon
Planet: No texture. The base is great, you have oceans clouds and normal terrain, but try texturising.
Moon: The moon is great and doesn't really fit with the planet. Also, there's an odd colour distortion on the bottom. I'm guessing it's either a filter problem, or reflection effect.

The beginning of a galaxy is rather good, but try adding more zing. Simple lighting effects are always awesome.

Have any questions, or want some advice / good textures, PM me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:30:10 am by Yannick »

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:10:15 pm »
Thanks for your very helpful advice Yannick, it's the first time i tried planets and every bit of help is most appreciated.  :)
I didn't save them as photoshop files cause i wasn't going to post them at first, and after your tips i now regret it.
Next time i will so i can make adjustments.

Ok, Sun with planet.

The sun needs some colour, no sun is white. Unless it's a dead star. The planet doesn't seem round enough, try spherizing again at 100%. Also, the clone stamping is too obvious. Use some other layering, like multiply to create canyons, or screen to make mountains. Also, there is no bloom at the edge of the planet where the shadow is. Not even when the shadow is that faint.

I totally agree with you, it was the very first one i made and yes the sun doesn't look that great.
I had trouble with the lighting, and the only solution i could think of was making it white, sort of to get that effect.
Wow you even noticed the cloning in the texture!  :o
I did however spherize it twice on 100%, i guess it must be the texture itself that didn't come out to well.

Gasgiant 1:
Pretty; but what's that sharp edge on the reflection? Erase the hard edges for a smoother effect.

It's supposed to be the planets atmosphere.  :-[
The edges are to hard indeed.
The planet itself i really like, i wished i saved it separate.

Gasgiant 2
Just a circle with spatter on it, sorry :-/. It's totally out of place in that background.

Totally agree, the background is way to sharp compared to the blurry planet.

Earthlike planet with moon
Planet: No texture. The base is great, you have oceans clouds and normal terrain, but try texturising.
Moon: The moon is great and doesn't really fit with the planet. Also, there's an odd colour distortion on the bottom. I'm guessing it's either a filter problem, or reflection effect.

I also like the moon and yes it was meant as reflection from the earthlike planet.
First i had them made separate but in the end i wanted them together, also the reason why they don't fit very well together.
I think i need a lot of practice with single planets before trying to place them together.

The beginning of a galaxy is rather good, but try adding more zing. Simple lighting effects are always awesome.

My favorite pic too, what started as some testing ended up to be like it is now.

Have any questions, or want some advice / good textures, PM me.

I will certainly pm you before this weekend.
In my head i had them imagined much better then what the outcome was, due to my limited knowledge of photoshop.

My sporepedia page

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:04:54 pm »
Gasgiant 1:

For the reflection thingy, maybe just make the atmosphere smaller?

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:14:17 pm »
Many more things have been created by absinthe than have been posted here; some of them quite unintentionally.

Besides that, very pretty pictures.

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:47 am »
Gasgiant 1:

For the reflection thingy, maybe just make the atmosphere smaller?

Some moments ago i was looking at some real pictures made from earth and a few planets in our solar system, and yes you're right.
The atmosphere is hardly visible even on pictures from our own planet.
I also noticed that the planets edges seem to fade away instead of being so sharp.

Many more things have been created by absinthe than have been posted here; some of them quite unintentionally.

Besides that, very pretty pictures.

So true.  :D
I'm glad you like them.

My sporepedia page

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:02 am »
Oh, if you want I can show you some tips. I'm a rather experienced planet maker, so I could show you some stuff.

And something I noticed just now on the beginning of a galaxy pic, you seem to have a ray of light coming out from the top, but not from the bottom. Minor detail, but every CC is important :-)

Oh my god, you're Belgian! The first Belgian poster I've seen, besides me!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:17:08 am by Yannick »

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"