Author Topic: Can't Patch an Old Game  (Read 5181 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Can't Patch an Old Game
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:29:02 pm »
Hey everyone, I have a tech support question.

I'm trying to reinstall Rome Total War so that I can install the Rome Total Realism mod. To do that, I have to remove Rome from my computer. I did this, reinstalled it, and tried to put on the necessary v1.2 patch. The thing is, when I try to do this, it says that it's already patched to v1.2, which i know it isn't.

I went into the control panel, into the "add or remove programs" and found Rome Total War in there. Naturally, i uninstalled it. Right under it, there was a different icon that said Rome Total War v1.3. I clicked uninstall and the computer worked for about three seconds and then stopped. I clicked again and it said "please wait until the current program is done uninstalling before you uninstall the next" or something to that effect.

I've installed and uninstalled this game at least 5 times so i could try out different mods. I can definitely see how the computer is getting confused.

The question is, how do I completely get rid of all traces of this game so that i can start fresh?

By the way this is Vista home premium.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

EDIT: just noticed another weird thing. When i use the search to find all instances of Rome on my computer, it comes up with over 5000 listings, all of them from previous installs of Rome TW that i had. I think a good defragging would be in order at least.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:57:50 pm by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Can't Patch an Old Game
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:56:56 pm »
That's an odd one... you say that you used Rome's uninstall option AND add/remove programs? Did you have any other mods installed onto the game that may be causing something to be sticking in your registry?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:00:25 pm »
I installed it vanilla, modded it, deleted it, installed it again twice and had two instances installed so that i could have different mods on the same computer, and then just left it there until i wanted to play this weekend and it didn't have the mod I wanted.

I've used different Map and faction mods, including Roma Surrectum, and Rome total realism if that helps.

Defragging now, btw.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:01:03 pm »
Alright, try using this.

It is an uninstaller/registry cleaner designed for Rome: Total War.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:10:55 am »
Thanks for the advice, patman, but it didn't work. I'm installing the 1.3 patch now and seeing if it will be able to uninstall once it's actually installed. i also sent the problem to sega support.

EDIT: Well, I got the "Rome Total War v1.3" program out of the "add or remove programs" part of the control panel, and I thought that would be that. But the game still says that it's patched to v1.2. I'll restart in a bit and see if it picks up on the fact that it's lying afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 07:57:29 am by 762 »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:54:29 am »
Alright, let's see.

Make sure you've run Windows Update and have all of the most recent stuff. Do you have administrative privileges? Make certain that you do. Also check any anti-virus software, spyware software, et cetera. Still, it seems like something with your registry.

If you want to take a crack at that, I'll post you some instructions that I found specifically for Rome: Total War install/uninstall issues. Be careful though, this is some really heavy stuff. It is a guide for manual uninstallation for Windows XP; however, it should still work for you on Vista although you will want to pay close attention to what you do. I've read through it and tried some of the instructions just to be sure, the whole thing seems pretty solid.

====== FULL MANUAL UNINSTALL PROCEDURE ======
(rev 1.13, 30Dec2005) Written by Wartrain.

INTRO:
This is the procedure I use in fixing RTW computers. It has been used a lot, but read and understand it before plowing in. It will solve about 80% of the most common install/reinstall problems, and is based on official Activision procedures. If registry entries/program files are missing/nonexistant when at a step to remove them, just continue anyway. Do not arbitrarily skip steps unless you understand why you are doing so. The penalty, however, is just that you could have wasted your time and need to do the whole thing again if your next install attempt fails. This procedure will allow RTW to reinstall in many cases.

PROBLEMS/SYMPTOMS:
"There was a problem uninstalling the game and now I can't reinstall."
Or, "RTW does not work now, but it was working in the past!"
Or, "I want to totally remove all RTW and just start over again!"

ASSUMPTIONS:
1. No overclocking
2. System has a known stable power supply
3. Motherboard BIOS and Video Card BIOS is up to date, and properly configured
4. System is clean & relatively free of dust inside (e.g., no heating/fan problems)
5. No viruses (strongly recommend www.eset.com/home/home.htm NOD32 over all other AV programs)
6. No spyware or adware (suggest freeware www.safer-networking.org/...oad/Spybot - Search & Destroy)
7. No rootkits. Since early 2005, that your have never had any Sony music CD in your computer (specifically, that the undetectable www.sysinternals.com/blog...ights.html Sony rootkit has ever been installed you your machine.)
8. Disable Anti-virus protection & close all background programs and unnecessary processes (use CTRL-ALT-DEL and also look in the Tray)
9. Assuming game was installed to default C:\, with Windows XP SP2 system default directory names
10: Before beginning, back up any RTW files you want to keep, like savegames, preferences.txt, etc.
11. Normal RTW uninstall (e.g., via Control Panel) tried, but failed.

WARNING:
This procedure is for an Advanced user. Some parts are based/quoted on official Acitvision solutions. Read/understand the whole procedure before beginning. Do not attempt registry changes if you are not comfortable editing the Registry (however, you will not be able to do the manual uninstall without Regedit). It is a good idea to back up your registry FIRST, and also KNOW HOW TO RESTORE IT! Know this: Altering the *wrong* things in the registry could result in complete operating system failure. Get someone to help you if you are not sure!

DETAILED PROCEDURE:
You can manually remove RTW from your system in 4 steps:
STEP 1. Remove the registry entries
STEP 2. Remove the game files
STEP 3. Remove the RomeTW.ini
STEP 4. Remove the Installer files

Note 01: If any of the following keys are already removed (e.g., you carefully look, and they are simply not there, then go to the next step. Remember which ones are gone and post about it.
Note 02: It may help viewing to turn off WORD WRAP in notepad (or your editor).
Note 03: The Objective of STEP 1 is to delete certain registry keys.
Note 04: In Regedit, you can enable View - StatusBar and look at the bottom of the Regedit window to see the full name of the key you are looking at -- Take a look at it to carefully VERIFY you are deleting the correct key.
Note 05: The Appendix lists the keys which will be removed.

---- STEP 1. Remove the registry entries ----
1-01) Click Start then Run.
1-02) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.

1-03) Click the "+" next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
1-04) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
1-05) Right-Click & delete the "The Creative Assembly" entry (the sub-keys will be deleted too).

1-06) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
1-07) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
1-08) Right-Click & delete the "The Creative Assembly" entry (the sub-keys will be deleted too).

1-09) Go back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.
1-10) Click the "+" next to Microsoft
1-11) Click the "+" next to Windows
1-12) Click the "+" next to CurrentVersion
1-13) Click the "+" next to Uninstall
1-14) Delete the key named {4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
1-15) Delete the key named {B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}
1-16) Delete the key named InstallShield_{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
1-17) Delete the key named InstallShield_{B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}

1-18) Click the "+" next to InstallShield Uninstall Information
1-19) Delete the key named {4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
1-20) Delete the key named {B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}

1-21) Go back to SOFTWARE.
1-22) Click the "+" next to Classes
1-23) Click the "+" next to Installer
1-24) Click the "+" next to Features
1-25) Delete the key named 4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB
1-26) Delete the key named B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43
1-27) Go back one level to Installer: Click the "+" next to Installer
1-28) Click the "+" next to Products
1-29) Delete the key named 4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB
1-30) Delete the key named B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43

1-31) Go back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.
1-32) Click the "+" next to SEGA
1-33) Delete the key named "Rome Total War - patch 1.3"

1-34) Close the registry editor

Note 06: At this point, the hardest part is over; your registry is cleaned of relevant RTW entries (though several hundred may still remain).
Note 07: If you want to keep your savegames, copy them from the Saves directory now!

---- STEP 2. Remove the game files ----
2-1) Double-click My Computer.
2-2) Double-click the C:\ drive.
2-3) Double-click Program Files.
2-4) Double-click Total War
2-5) Right-click on the Rome: Total War folder and choose delete.

Note 08: Your program files are now removed.

---- STEP 3. Remove the RomeTW.ini file ----
3-1) Click the Start - Find (or Search) - Files & Folders
3-2) Search your C:\ drive for a file called RomeTW.ini
3-3) Delete the RomeTW.ini file (it should be in C:\WINDOWS, e.g., C:\WINDOWS\RomeTW.ini)

---- STEP 4. Remove the Installer files ----
4-1) Set folder display otions to show hidden folders and files
4-2) Explorer - Tools - Options - View - Choose "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
4-3) Explorer - Tools - Options - View - UNCHECK "Hide protected operating system files"

4-4) Navigate to folder (it is normally hidden) C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation\
4-5) If present, delete folder called C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation\{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
4-6) If present, delete folder called C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation\{B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}

4-7) Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\Installer\
4-8) If present, delete folder called C:\Windows\Installer\{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
4-9) If present, delete folder called C:\Windows\Installer\{B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}

4-10) *Reboot* your machine (needed to remove the files loaded at boot/RTW start!)

Note 09: Codecs -- RTW needs to have the codecs of WMP9 or WMP10 fully installed and functional (naturally, you also need a working sound card and good drivers). With Windows XP, if you suspect there is a problem with codecs (e.g., you may have installed other codecs and messed things up), then you might want to uninstall WMP10, then reinstall WMP10 if you suspect you have any codec-related problems. Ideally, you should uninstall WMP10, then reinstall it (purely to get the correct codecs installed an properly registered) before you make a clean install of RTW.

Note 10: You can download the WMP10 install for XP directly from Microsoft for free: www.microsoft.com/windows...nload.aspx

Note 11: You can now do a clean install (normal or desktop).

APPENDIX: These are the registry keys which Step 1 removes (including all key contents):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TheCreativeAssembly
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Creative Assembly
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\{B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\InstallShield_{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91F B}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\InstallShield_{B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C4 3}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{4089999C-6CB7-4F9D-A2F6-DB158DBF91FB}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{B6BB246A-D1AC-2414-D84D-13C8F3D38C43}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features\40899 99C6CB74F9DA2F6DB158DBF91FB
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features\B6BB2 46AD1AC2414D84D13C8F3D38C43
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\40899 99C6CB74F9DA2F6DB158DBF91FB
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\B6BB2 46AD1AC2414D84D13C8F3D38C43
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SEGA\Rome Total War - patch 1.3

GENERAL NOTE: Read thru this thread for the revision changes. If you note any errors, or have suggestions, post in a new thread or PM me (Wartrain).

Changes in 1.13 (30Dec2005):
- New Title, credits where appropriate
- Corrected a link

Changes in 1.12 (08Dec2005):
- Removed the [url] entries which are not enabled at this site
- Minor editing corrections

Changes in 1.11 (07Dec2005):
- Added Sega key for Patch 1.3 (Step 1-31 thru 1-33) (will not affect most reinstalls until the newly-announced post-1.3/BI patch is released)
- Added quotes around key names for readability in Step 1-05 and Step 1-08

Changes in 1.10:
- Rewrite with more detail
- Remove several more registry entries which cause common conflicts
- Numbering
- Delete BI entries
- Add antivirus info
- Add Step 4
- Add Appendix
- Add more description

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:15:36 pm »
Ok, i did that. The weirdest thing happened. Now, when the autolaunch comes up, it wants me to install Rome. So I do. The installsheild pops up and after a few minutes, it asks if i'm sure I want to completely uninstall Rome. What the hell? I click yes, it uninstalls in record time. Now I can install, right? The same thing happens over and over again. I can't install it because at that moment it thinks it's already installed, and uninstallation does nothing.

Unless you've got any more advice, I'll wait until Sega gets back to me on this one, but thanks Pat.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:13:16 pm »
Well I have gotten stuck in the install/uninstall loop with other games in the past. When the game installs I go into the game's directory and launch the game via the executable file instead of using the launcher and whatnot. That usually works.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:28:01 pm »
Alright, new problem now.

I found a more thorough uninstall walkthrough and completed that. I was then able to install Rome as normal. Now I'm trying to install the 1.2 patch. When it gets to the license agreement, the text box is all grey with no text. I click Accept anyway and it brings up a new error message: MinSysReq. I assume this is a vista compatibility issue? I put it in compatibility mode and it didn't help. Am i screwed?

Offline BumpyRide

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Definitely Bumpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:10:21 pm »
Have you tried putting it into an entirely seperate folder from where it would normally install to?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 05:16:30 am »
Problem solved.

I found a version of RTR, the mod that I wanted to play, that works in v 1.5 of Rome Total War. 1.5 is compatible with vista, or whatever else gave me a compatibility issue before. Thanks for your help in manually uninstalling the game, Pat. You were really a big help! And thanks for the suggestion, BumpyRide, I would have tried that next.