Author Topic: Organic Wheels?  (Read 12079 times)

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
Organic Wheels?
« on: May 17, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »
Has anyone seen any evidence that you be able to give your creature organic wheels for feet? I know a few creatures (including the Battlefish) have organic circular saws for weapons. Why not organic wheels for feet? Has anybody seen a creature with them?

Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: Organic Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:53:04 pm »
Nope not yet, even if they were they would only function somewhat like snow shoes (pads)
Only time I've seen them in action is with the battle fish.....
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline woohoojiffylube

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • Watching and waiting is harder than it seems
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:54:53 pm »
Can't you just make them walk on their saws?

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:55:58 pm »
Wouldn't it be only horizontally?

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 06:03:04 pm »

how do you mean?
Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 07:36:47 pm »

how do you mean?
Saws are normally facing like |. But if they were like _ then maybe you could walk on em. I think that's what he means.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 07:50:28 pm »
Saws are in the defence/attack parts section. the only way to make them as feet is to make a foot really small and then make a saw overlapping it.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline woohoojiffylube

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • Watching and waiting is harder than it seems
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:30:25 pm »
What I meant was you could put a saw on the end of a limb and drag it so it would be touching the ground. If the saw is like this: | (lengthwise like the creature's body), then the creature should be able to roll on it.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
Not to sound negative but yeah, whats the point of making feet like that only to walk  on them like pads? I really don't see how they would function like spinning wheels on a car.

Only real function is like what DarkDragon said, overlapping seems like the plausible way for it to work.
Nice Idea though, too bad it's physically impossible unless they're silicon based life in Spore or in the universe for that matter (to be discovered as of yet).

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 09:18:13 pm »
well there's a spinning saw as a weapon, why shouldn't there be wheels? Just say ing there's no reason there shouldn't be, but I dont think there will be because it adds a huge element to programming.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 09:26:56 pm »
Well with element programming in mind I really do doubt they can be used as-

Wait....
They can spin? Are you sure of this?
Well I guess they would have a better reason for moving rather than staying stationary.
Hard to see how they would spin, I mean maybe a limit to the spin since the saw has to be attached to something and if it kept spinning to far it would eventually twist of; but skin and joints aren't designed to spin and twist like the axis of a wheel on a car.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:56:24 pm »
I posted some ideas for wheels a long time ago. Perhaps they have implemented some. I means they have wheels for vehicles. Why not creatures.

Wheelhorn

The Wheelhorn is s strange creature that grows long antlers who's wheel-like bulges break off when they reach adulthood. This wheel is just bone and has no connection to the creature other than it its on peg-like axis (which has blood and live horn). The way it breaks off is there a fleshy cushion that it sits on as it grows. When it matures this fleshy layer will  die off and reveal the cylindrical horn inside of it. Thus after all the flesh falls off it can now spin around. Baby Wheelhorns are stuck in the nest until they grow big enough to use their wheels. Wheelhorns use their back legs to posh them along. They also have weirds features such as a chin-nose, a feathered body a knee-spike and antenna which pick up smells.

Ballsilisk

The Ballsilisk is a funny creature who's only mode of transportation is curling up into a ball and rolling around. It has tough but flexible plates that form a sphere when curled up in a ball. It has 2 arms which have scoop-like hands on them. They make up the side plates as well as work as digging scoops to make its sandy burrow. On its head it has a helm-like plate, 2 eyes, mouth and suction cupped tentacles. it uses these to pick up food and place it in its mouth. It eats grubs, seeds and eggs. When moving it cannot see however it uses a tremor sense from the grounds vibrations. It constantly rolls around, uncurls looks around for a moment and then rolls off again. Due to this "blind" method of locomotion their plates have evolved an almost rubber properties in which it can bounce if it falls off high places. This makes for great escapes!

Fastrack

The Fastrack is a quick and intelligent predator. It lives on the salt flats of its planet and carves with its beak and claws salt wheels. These extremely hard salt wheels are held in the hand and feet of the creature. Each hand and feel has a 4-fingered/toed design where 2 opposite digest interlink creating an axel though the hole in the salt wheel. The other 2 digits have large nails in which are used for breaks. The front arms push like a roller blade pushes on its wheels to move. The back leg is just there stabilizing.

The tail has a fin that it can lift up to stabilize it during fast rolling. But can put that down and let out 2 side fins that act like a dragster parachute to slow the creature down. On the sides are many air gills in which collect as much oxygen as possible as it flows past it. The faster they go the more air gets pulled into the creature. It has 2 semi-compound eyes. Each eye socket has 3 smaller eyes in it. Each can se a different light wavelength ranging from ultraviolet to inferred between all of them.

The Fastrack can go very fast at speeds up to 300 miles per hour. It only uses its fast speed to run away or capture prey. Normally it coasts around at slower speeds. They are usually solitary creatures that control their own territory. However they will congregate once a year to mate and lay their eggs at a great salt lake. The offspring are left in he water to grow up and will spend their lives alone.

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 05:26:28 am »
Saws are in the defence/attack parts section. the only way to make them as feet is to make a foot really small and then make a saw overlapping it.

I wonder if it's possible to create legs to walk on without feet attached to them. That would unlock a wide fan of yet new combinations of creature-creation. Personally, i'm going to try to create the Acklay from Star Wars (the one in the middle)

*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 05:59:00 am »
If you don't give your creatures feet, they say that it would crawl like a slug. But what if you build a critter like this?

O------
  / /  \ \
 ^^  ^^

With "^" being pincers and "***" being the ground.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 07:00:17 am »
I dunno why, but I don't like the idea of organic wheels and circular saws.

I mean, it's not robot wars.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.