Author Topic: 2 people, 1 copy of Spore  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
2 people, 1 copy of Spore
« on: May 11, 2008, 07:32:39 pm »
I was reading this headline on the GS front page, and came across two interesting bullet points.

# The new system means you don't have to play with the disc in your computer. And if you are like me, always losing discs, this will be a huge benefit.
# You'll still be able to install and play on multiple computers.

Now my fiance and I have two separate computers side by side. We both connect to the internet through a router (so same IP address).

Would we be able to get away with purchasing only one copy of spore?

By the sounds of it we could install one game on each other's systems and both get updates through one spore account.

But maybe I don't fully understand the system (or maybe this is plain illegal)

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:23:08 am by Danzik »

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: 2 people, 1 Spore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:38:36 pm »
yea, pretty sure what you said is right except that it might not like the fact that your both connected to the Internet at the same time. Although I'm not an expert on spore or on ip and servers and that stuff so I wouldn't fully trust me if I was you.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:57:50 pm »
Wow this is an interesting revelation,
You don't need the disk to play huh?
Would have been better if they implemented this solution on previous games like the Sims 2 or the Sim city series (excluding 2000 and the original game, i think).
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 08:01:02 pm »
You'll be able to play at the same time, but only one online at a time (how would they prevent piracy otherwise?). If they detect your key &/ account being used from 2 sepparate computers at the same time they'll probably invalidate your copy from ever being able to access their servers.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 10:08:08 pm »
just because your computers go through a router to use the internet does not mean you have the same IP address, and as a matter of fact your computers would not be able to connect to eachother if that was the case, so if you have played Lan games with your wife then you do not have the same IP address. Like what has been said you can however use the copy offline and then get the updates for it on two separte computers, but it is illegal because technically you copied the game for another person.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 11:02:53 pm »
just because your computers go through a router to use the internet does not mean you have the same IP address, and as a matter of fact your computers would not be able to connect to eachother if that was the case, so if you have played Lan games with your wife then you do not have the same IP address. Like what has been said you can however use the copy offline and then get the updates for it on two separte computers, but it is illegal because technically you copied the game for another person.

But, and correct me if I'm wrong because I'm a bit rusty, a LAN network is usually closed. Your IP address doesn't, technically, matter. It could be any address that isn't a "used" address. For example, I use a router. On my LAN I can have the IP of 192.XXX.X.254, and the other computer can be 192.XXX.X.001 and it wouldn't matter. It's an internal network. Even if my router wasn't connected to the internet, I would still have that internal network.

Now, that's the IP Address that gets used internally, but when I go out to connect to the internet, it is my Router that is accessing the internet and then sending the information back to me via the internal IP address, 192.XXX.X.254. So my computer, and the other computers on my network aren't using the same IP address internally, but in theory we are using the same IP externally. I say in theory, because, if memory serves, it doesn't always work like that, especially if your ISP charges you for extra accounts. If they know you're using a router, they'll want to charge you, but everything will work fine without it. They want to charge you because they can, and because you're using more than they want to give you. Even if they know, they usually don't do anything about it.

The IP you're broadcasting through a router is the Router's IP. It's a single IP, no matter how many computers connect to it. It is just passing back the information to the appropriate computer. That means that you could play online at the same time, depending on how the company handles their CD Keys. Some companies choose not to punish you for only buying one company and sharing it at home. In this respect it makes sense. Would you buy the same movie for every family member in your house just so they could watch it? No. Other companies are greedy, money-grubbing tightwads (three words that mean the same thing for emphasize). They're more likely to kill any CD Key that is caught online more than once per IP address (meaning it detects multiple CD Keys running at the same time). The only company that I've known to do this (and rarely at that) is Blizzard. Surprisingly I never remember hearing anything about EA being strict on this type of issue, though EA tends to account for pirating in a different way than Blizzard.

In short, you should be able to play online at the same time with one copy, assuming SecuROM and EA continue to be "reasonable".

Edit: In fact, I just checked the IP that Gaming Steve just logged when I posted, with the IP on my router. The IP address that is seen by the forum is my routers IP address. It, as I said, is only one IP address.

Edit: Edit: Any computer techs, please disregard my insane ramblings. It is late here (in the AM), and it's been far to lnog since I dealt with this in depth. The industry for PC Techs in my area is saturated, to the point that even Geek Squad for Best Buy is a tough job to get into. That and I went to a technical school, and now everyone wants college. So I have to go back to school in order to get a job in the field. Which basically means that the knowledge I've retained is not readily accessible. It's fragmented because I've not kept up with some of it. I was always a "hardware" kind of guy anyway. Give me a motherboard, some RAM, and a hardware problem. Software or networking problems... well those take some time.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:17:59 pm by OpDDay2001 »
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Re: 2 people, 1 copy of Spore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:28 am »
It would suck if, while one person in a household was playing, another started up the game without realizing the first was playing (being in a different room or maybe out at an Internet hotspot with a laptop), and then SecuROM blasted their game into useless junk. That seems risky due to this no-CD thing.

Then again, I suppose you have to log in each time you go online, so it would probably block the second attempt, no harm, no foul. Or so we must hope.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:07:09 am »
I have 2 comps at different places. I wont log in both places at same time so no issue there but I sure dont hope that key gets banned if I play somewhere else in the weekend than workdays..
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:25:22 am »
It would probably be based on the IP address your ISP provides you with, it has nothing to do with your routers own IP, or your PC's own IP, because these are on your local network. Your internet IP (http://whatismyip.com/) will be the same on every device connected to your broadband modem.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:42 am »
1. People on an hotspot wouldn't get "banned" unless they were using the same key.
2. Even if your router has only one IP, the computers have different internal IPs, but when you connect with one computer and then try to connect with another it will probably detect that the IP is already connected and not allow the second computer to connect.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 09:21:15 am »
I would be really surprised if they didn't have some sort of account system. Where you register one account with your cdkey so in order to download content you wouldn't need the cdkey, but account information. The only efficient way I can imagine it would be person A logs onto(Doesn't matter if he/she is behind a local router) the online system and starts downloading content/browsing and person B logs onto the same account. Person A would be disconnected or person B would get an error message saying the account is in use.

When it comes to computer going through a router they'll all share an IP-address if that router runs a DHCP server(Most of them do). This will give you a local IP-address(10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16-32.x.x).

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 10:57:53 am »
I seem to recall the Sims 2 allows for a "master account" and a couple of sub accounts when I first registered the game.  Perhaps spore will follow suit?  A family with 3 kids isn't likely to buy 3 versions of the game but the kids are gonna wanna play seperately.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »
My guess is it'll work MMO style.  Create an account, associate a CD Key with an account.  Allow one simultaneous login with said account.  Thus, you can log in and use any Spore owner's copy of the game to play in.  Just like WOW or EQ, you won't need the CD/DVD to play.  But if someone logs in using your account, then you get kicked or they get denied.  This would make sense, since your creations are tagged with your user account and uploaded to the Spore servers. 

Even more interesting, if this is true, is how offline copies of Spore will work with the same CD key.  She mentions authentication upon installation, so perhaps there is a Microsoft-esque activation in place as well.

The real question is, "how many simultaneous logins will be allowed?"  Maxis would probably allow 2 or more instances of the software to be running at once.  This would prevent the THOUSANDS of pirated users from using the same account while allowing you and your fiancee to play at the same time in the same house.   Perhaps they will do some IP matching for this.  Two people under the same user account log in using the same IP.  That's not much of a threat to their pocket books.  Of course, EA would beg to differ.  Guess we'll find out in a few months.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Murali

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 07:09:32 pm »
But, and correct me if I'm wrong because I'm a bit rusty, a LAN network is usually closed. Your IP address doesn't, technically, matter. It could be any address that isn't a "used" address. For example, I use a router. On my LAN I can have the IP of 192.XXX.X.254, and the other computer can be 192.XXX.X.001 and it wouldn't matter. It's an internal network. Even if my router wasn't connected to the internet, I would still have that internal network.

You're not wrong.

Network Address Translation, or NAT, was invented because the IP v4 block of IPs is too small to adequately provide IP's to the massive amount of devices coming onto the internet.  So, as a hold over, NAT was invented.  NAT lets multiple computers attach to one IP without any harm... So, as you described, your router gives you an IP in the 192.168.x.x block (Technically, doesn't have to be that, but standards say that they should be).  Your router then intercepts all packets going to the world and modifies the packet so the Source IP is the WAN (Read: Public, or what your ISP gives you) IP.  When a packet comes back, the router than performs its voodoo once more and modifies the Destination IP to be your internal IP (the one your router gave you).

You're wrong.

You have the same public IP.  Way back in the day, some online gaming services would block multiple connections from the same IP.  With the advent of NAT, and LAN parties, I'm fairly sure most places have done away with that.

If you've played a LAN game, and your behind a router, you were playing within the 192.168.x.x block... so both IPs are internally different, but to any server on the otherside of the router, they look the exact same.  It makes web analytics a whole different ballgame, but, realistically, thats an entirely different post.

Like what has been said you can however use the copy offline and then get the updates for it on two separte computers, but it is illegal because technically you copied the game for another person.

How about we wait for the EULA to come out before we start declaring things illegal, eh?  There are no federal, state, or local laws that govern this, since its a contract between you and EA... and since the contract (Read: EULA) hasn't been released (to my knowledge), you really can't say what will or will not be illegal.

Though, based on other EULAs and history, it would be a breach of contract and leave you liable for a civil suit.

Offline Murali

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 07:12:05 pm »
The real question is, "how many simultaneous logins will be allowed?"  Maxis would probably allow 2 or more instances of the software to be running at once.  This would prevent the THOUSANDS of pirated users from using the same account while allowing you and your fiancee to play at the same time in the same house.   Perhaps they will do some IP matching for this.  Two people under the same user account log in using the same IP.  That's not much of a threat to their pocket books.  Of course, EA would beg to differ.  Guess we'll find out in a few months.

Locking a CD key or an account to an IP or range of IP's is a bad, bad idea.  ISP's using DHCP servers determine that to be so.  Its far more likely that they'll just only allow one (maybe two... but unlikely) users to log into the account at the same time and either boot the existing player off when a new person tries to login (aka... Ultima Online) or give the new user an error (ala... Starcraft).