Author Topic: Dial-up Friendly version of the PodCast?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
Dial-up Friendly version of the PodCast?
« on: September 10, 2005, 08:15:13 pm »
... I don't have a job, We can't afford to pay 50 dollars a month to have faster internet... (Just for all of you that will say "Get Broadband then!!!")

Could it be possible to have a lower-quality version of Steve's Podcast that would be, oh, about 5Kb/s so I could load it into Windows Media Player and listen as I download instead of sitting there for like... 2 hours? (I haven't had the patience to dl it, streaming it I've gotten about 10 seconds in after like 5 minutes before I gave up).

So, would it be possible to create a second, lower quality version for download? Please? :-[

"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Dial-up Friendly version of the PodCast?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 04:51:46 am »
Boardbane doesn't cost 50 dollars, at least not here.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 05:54:33 am »
Over here it costs about $70 dollars or something for the good broadband. There are a bunch of *smaller* companies that offer broadband (like Verizon), but Road Runner is still the big one and they charge 70 bucks. I say smaller because they are a lot smaller around here.

Anyway, my point is that prices fluctuate, Psilontech has to pay 50 dollars a month and we should be answering his question about whether there could be a dial-up friendly version of the podcast.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:48:06 pm »
whats this word dial-up that you speak of?

na, but serioulsy, I dont think it would require much effort to produce a low-quality version. But hosting which is effecitvely a 2nd podcast could be an issue.

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 02:11:53 pm »
Ah, but lower quality would mean smaller size, thus would take less to host it 8)

Any comments steve, or do I just have to get yelled at in the computer lab when I've finished my assignment? ::)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 10:48:58 pm »
It will be difficult for me to put up a lower quality version for podcasting (you can only have 1 file per episode really). So that's the first issue. Next problem, I can cut the quality in half, but all that will do is cut the filesize in half. So instead of a 48 meg file you'll have a 24 meg file. Which is definitely smaller, but probably not what you're looking for. Making it any smaller in size and the quality will really suffer big time.

Otherwise ... hum, not sure what to tell you. Just off the top of my head I would recommend that you download it at night (which is what I do when I download huge files, even with my fast broadband connection) or you can go to an internet cafe to download my podcast as well as any others you like. You buy one of those USB thumb drives for just a few bucks and they hold like half a gig to a gig and have super fast transfer rates. That way you can easily and quickly copy the files off of any public computer you might be using.

Hum, I will look into it a bit more but I don't think I can get it much smaller. Even if I make the voice quality just 1/4 of what it is now, the final files will still be at least 10 megs in size. Let me know what you think of these ideas...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:02:47 pm »
I really like the sound quality of your podcast (I even enjoy the occasional environment sounds of the sirens and thunderstorms). It's very pleasant to listen to - especially compared to some of the other podcasts that record Skype conversations and you can hardly understand what their saying...

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 08:45:06 am »
10 MB is a MUCH better file size. But remember, I'm assuming there will still be the high-quality one so you freaking broadband users can still have their quality and stuff :p

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 09:23:52 am »
I really like the sound quality of your podcast (I even enjoy the occasional environment sounds of the sirens and thunderstorms). It's very pleasant to listen to - especially compared to some of the other podcasts that record Skype conversations and you can hardly understand what their saying...

Thanks, I have around $1000 of professional recording equipment, which is one of the key reasons for the high quality of the podcasts.

I still haven't used Skype ... but one day.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 09:24:17 am »
10 MB is a MUCH better file size. But remember, I'm assuming there will still be the high-quality one so you freaking broadband users can still have their quality and stuff :p

Again, I'll look into it and see what I can do.