Author Topic: Official System Requirements!  (Read 51611 times)

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
Re: Official System Requirements!
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2008, 07:49:31 am »
I'm fine hardware, except that if they stick online verification on on the creature creator (which they probably will) I'm screwed because my gaming rig doesn't have net access.

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2008, 07:50:11 am »
They don't sell my type of Ram anymore and when installing something that is very similar to it, it crashes my comp.. :(

I think I may have this problem also.  Haven't really checked into it.  But the Gateway site has an app that checks your computer for memory upgrades, and it told me there are no memory upgrades for mine.  I assume that means the type of memory is obsolete. 

How much trouble is it to switch out a mother board, but keep everything else the same?   There's basically no chance I'm getting a whole new comp, so I need another option.

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2008, 07:55:52 am »
They don't sell my type of Ram anymore and when installing something that is very similar to it, it crashes my comp.. :(

I think I may have this problem also.  Haven't really checked into it.  But the Gateway site has an app that checks your computer for memory upgrades, and it told me there are no memory upgrades for mine.  I assume that means the type of memory is obsolete. 

How much trouble is it to switch out a mother board, but keep everything else the same?   There's basically no chance I'm getting a whole new comp, so I need another option.

if you got no clue at all about that, i cant say its "easy" to switch the board. plus, you get maybe more trouble finding one that meets your requirements (prolly cause of (to) old hardware), then saving the money for a bigger upgrade. because if you need a better mainboard, then you will endup needing a new cpu and new ram too. so we're talking about... roundabout.. 200 dollars
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:57:47 am by KL0k »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2008, 08:00:50 am »
              As far as I know, switching to a different motherboard is quite a hassle to do. You'd have to make sure that the peripherals, the keyboard and everything else is compatible with the new one. Plus, I think some systems aren't compatible with the new ones, i.e. installing a new graphics card. It'd be nice if you can talk with a professional computer tech, or at least someone who's already done something similar to their own systems. Though, its always good to double-check if everything you have is compatible with the one your planning to install. An incompatible installation can cause some serious damage, depending on what you're gonna use, especially when it comes to Ram and Graphics cards.

When it comes to getting good graphics, buying a new one is always the best choice, however in this case, I guess you could just install a better cooling system, it'll help a lot when it comes to speeding up frames.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:50 am »
i think the example with sims 2+expansions and all maxed is a good shot at requirements, that would mean any newer midclass comp could handle it, maybe with a lil lag here n there..

Not only running Sims 2 + Expansions Maxed out, but go to a lot that has several families of Sims running around, like a downtown lot or a vacation lot, that's possibly the closest you'll get to how SPORE will run on old game rig from about 5 years ago ( like mine )

I think I'll be okay for the most part, but may need a new CPU at least, the other specs I surpass one way or another. ( Sims 2 runs pretty good on my system 'till I get into a crowded area then it struggles a little )

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2008, 12:48:35 pm »
I'm fine hardware, except that if they stick online verification on on the creature creator (which they probably will) I'm screwed because my gaming rig doesn't have net access.

How did that happen  ;D

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2008, 01:05:38 pm »
Probably the same way mine happened.

My gaming rig (also my "Photoshop/Flash/Maya" rig) used to have Internet access, but the wireless adapter broke. I've been posting from my laptop since October of last year. :-\

BTW: Hopefuly, since the CC runs on XP, the full game will, too. *crosses fingers, for she has yet to "upgrade" to Vista*

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:56 pm »

It's possible that your RAM type is obsolete or that you have as much as the motherboard can handle. I wouldn't trust an app from Gateway because they're a big company that wants you to buy another computer from them. How old is your computer? and is it a desktop or laptop?

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2008, 05:37:30 pm »

BTW: Hopefuly, since the CC runs on XP, the full game will, too. *crosses fingers, for she has yet to "upgrade" to Vista*

There is no way it wont support xp.... im still using it btw, ill slit my wrists before using vista as a gaming os.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2008, 12:00:05 am »

I'm gonna join the chorus on this one; I wouldn't change the mobo if you haven't tried it before as it is THE most difficult thing to change in a PC. Everything connects to the mobo, so if you change it you have to take it completely apart. And if your PC is as old as you say so your RAM is obsolete, then it's likely that you will have to change just about everything else as well because the new mobo wont be compatible with the other old parts. From GFX, over RAM to CPU, cooler and PSU. In extremes possibly even HDD/CD as well depending on the motherboard (some of the newer don't support IDE). On an old PC a new mobo usually = completely new PC with very few exceptions. You might be able to keep your case :P

...oh and $200 is NOT gonna do it for you I'm afraid, if you want a machine that can run spore decently. I would say at least double that and upwards. Your best bet might be to buy a used PC if you're tight for cash :) If you can find someone who's selling an old gaming rig for a few quick bucks while they're building a new. I know I ususally sell my old parts I don't need dead cheap when I build a new system.

EDIT:
Here's a quick sample gathered in 5 mins. You might find something cheaper but my guess is if you want to RUN spore this is roughly the amount you'll want to spend on upgrades as a minimum (new parts):
$50 GFX ATI HD2400
$60 RAM 2GB (because it's not worth it to go less when you look at cost differences)
$70 MOBO
$80 CPU Dual Core 2.4GHz (with stock fan)
$60 PSU
So $320 could probably get you what you need to run it... just. I would personally buy a somewhat more powerful gfx card, the HD2400 is not a gaming card... it's just cheap and likely to work. Personally I wouldn't spend less than $150 on the gfx on a rig that needs to run 3D games at all, that's usually the area around which you find the cost-effective cards that can still run games decently.
I build gaming rigs for myself with $600-$800 GFX cards, but I also build for friends who have lower requirements and more tight funds so I'm used to looking at it from a cost-effective point of vew. Not just the "leet gamez0r" POV.
Also keep in mind that all these are low spec, low quality parts. You want decent brands and spec; that adds to the price.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:21:33 am by Necrox »

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Spore at the system requirements lab
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2008, 04:37:51 am »
hey guys, you guys, hey guys!

i mailed the System Requirements Lab with the request of adding spore to the ''can you run it'' list. and they did it!

www.systemrequirementslab.com
to check if your pc can run spore!!!!!

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:41:43 am by xenomorph »
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56:30 am »
good idea mate :)

@ necrox
how much does a hd2600 cost in the states? i mean, that card is loud as hell, but i think its a good lowbudget choice for a gamer.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2008, 07:18:17 am »
good idea mate :)

@ necrox
how much does a hd2600 cost in the states? i mean, that card is loud as hell, but i think its a good lowbudget choice for a gamer.

I think it's around $100-$120, depending on the version/manufacturer. Might be able to get one at $80'ish far as I can tell :)

A really good site to check out if you're in the market for an upgrade is http://www.tomshardware.com/
More than just doing reviews they also do charts every few months where they list which cards give the best performance within each price bracket. So basically you just choose how much you're willing to spend and they'll show a comparison of the most popular cards around that cost-area for you :)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-cards,1805.html
This time it's not so detailed, historically they've had more price brackets listed but you get the idea.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2008, 08:20:45 am »

I'm gonna join the chorus on this one; I wouldn't change the mobo if you haven't tried it before as it is THE most difficult thing to change in a PC. Everything connects to the mobo, so if you change it you have to take it completely apart. And if your PC is as old as you say so your RAM is obsolete, then it's likely that you will have to change just about everything else as well because the new mobo wont be compatible with the other old parts. From GFX, over RAM to CPU, cooler and PSU. In extremes possibly even HDD/CD as well depending on the motherboard (some of the newer don't support IDE). On an old PC a new mobo usually = completely new PC with very few exceptions. You might be able to keep your case :P

...oh and $200 is NOT gonna do it for you I'm afraid, if you want a machine that can run spore decently. I would say at least double that and upwards. Your best bet might be to buy a used PC if you're tight for cash :) If you can find someone who's selling an old gaming rig for a few quick bucks while they're building a new. I know I ususally sell my old parts I don't need dead cheap when I build a new system.

EDIT:
Here's a quick sample gathered in 5 mins. You might find something cheaper but my guess is if you want to RUN spore this is roughly the amount you'll want to spend on upgrades as a minimum (new parts):
$50 GFX ATI HD2400
$60 RAM 2GB (because it's not worth it to go less when you look at cost differences)
$70 MOBO
$80 CPU Dual Core 2.4GHz (with stock fan)
$60 PSU
So $320 could probably get you what you need to run it... just. I would personally buy a somewhat more powerful gfx card, the HD2400 is not a gaming card... it's just cheap and likely to work. Personally I wouldn't spend less than $150 on the gfx on a rig that needs to run 3D games at all, that's usually the area around which you find the cost-effective cards that can still run games decently.
I build gaming rigs for myself with $600-$800 GFX cards, but I also build for friends who have lower requirements and more tight funds so I'm used to looking at it from a cost-effective point of vew. Not just the "leet gamez0r" POV.
Also keep in mind that all these are low spec, low quality parts. You want decent brands and spec; that adds to the price.
I'd say if you were going to upgrade the gfx card from that original list you probably want to get a better psu also.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2008, 08:30:40 am »
Also dont aim specifically at spore when building the comp.

What if you do that and then another cool game comes along and your comp can only handle spore standard graphics...

Buy the best performance/money parts always...
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.