Author Topic: Gaming Steve is MAD!  (Read 13480 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Gaming Steve is MAD!
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:34:51 pm »
For the last couple of months I have been quite happy with my hosting company. Considering that I use up a huge amount of bandwidth (due to the podcast and very active forums) the uptime has been pretty good. Of course it might go down for a minute or two every couple of days or so, but so far nothing horrible.

But then last Monday the site was down most of the day, which was completely unacceptable. I spoke with my hosting company and they assured me that they were updating a few things and that this shouldn't be a problem in the future. So I figured everything would be fine and I left it alone.

And then today for most of the day the site has been down and my hosting provider was nowhere to be found. Factor in that the site was highlighted in iTunes and a few other sites I am freaking furious. Now it takes a lot to make me angry as I'm a pretty easygoing guy, but once I get angry I become pure evil. Imagine Tony Soprano when he's mad, and multiple that by about ten, and you can picture what I'm like. It might only happen once or twice a year, if that, but once I'm mad I will put 100% of my total energy into whatever made me upset and making sure that they know it.

Anyhow, I am going to move the site ... immediately. I know of a few other hosting companies and I have been talking to people at these companies to find the best home for the site. I believe that I have found a new place and will start the process immediately in moving the site over.

In addition, I am going to do everything I can to make sure this doesn't happen again, so I am getting a high-end dedicated server for the site. Right now this site is on a shared box, which means that a whole bunch of sites are all on a single machine sharing the system resources. This is pretty common and only the very largest sites are actually on dedicated machines since it's totally overkill (most sites only need to use around 2%-5% of system resources to run). So now this site will have an entire server just to itself, and not just any dedicated server but one of the best I can buy. Plus it will have dedicated customer support, which is key.

It will take them about a day to build, setup, and test the new machine for me and then I'm going to move the site over. Hopefully by Tuesday the site will be moved onto the new server and it will be fine from now on (plus it should be crazy fast having it's own machine). I will probably have to take the site down for a little while during the site transfer but it should go pretty fast (within a few hours) and I'll try to do it at night.

Oh yeah, and as for my current hosting company? Let's see, today alone I put in a negative report to the better business bureau, negatively reviewed them on several hosting surveys, and on Monday they will get to speak to my lawyers about their "99.9% uptime guarantee" (yeah, I have lawyers on retainer, that what happens when you run a multi-million dollar business). They pissed off the wrong person...

Anyhow, just thought you should all know! :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 05:19:07 pm by Gaming Steve »

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Gaming Steve is MAD!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 04:54:20 pm »
Hooray for Steve! You're not the only one this aggrevates. Glad to hear it will get it's own server. Now you have to add a lighning smiley.

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 05:10:58 pm »
He's got a website and he knows how to use it! Huzza steve!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 05:45:38 pm »
*stands up and applauds*

Thank you for the update. Sorry you had to get angry and I understand how you feel.  We sure appreciate that you are going to move your hosting site and server. This site has become very important to alot of us. We live here.  That old hosting company won't know what hit them. Go get 'em tiger. Going to download my podcast now.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 05:46:44 pm »
Well, although I can't say the site being down angered me persay, I am happy that it will be more reliable and faster. Thanks!

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline mythicalmonk

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 08:05:11 pm »
Yay lawyers!   :P

Good luck with ur awesome new hosting.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 07:40:39 am »
Oh, thank god! i thought I couldnt get onto the site because my computer was going bad. :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:20:33 am »
well the site was slow and sluggish this morning.. looking forward to the new server and host.. :)

Edit: The site was down again all day yesterday too.  :(  I was hoping its because you moved it to the new server. Any news Steve?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 10:52:12 am by LadyM »

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 11:54:19 am »
Several companies come to mind that guarantee uptime and offer colo services.

Media Temple is one of the most popular. Many Flash designers and companies use their services because they can handle large amounts of transfers per month. Many consider them Akamai-lite (Akamai is Apple's official streaming service for trailers, images, stuff that requires lots of bandwidth).
http://www.mediatemple.net/

2Advanced.net is another popular hosting company for Flash designers and companies. They like Media Temple can handle large amounts of transfers per month.
http://www.2advanced.net/

Of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to plug the company I work for, American Web Services. We offer guaranteed uptime, and colo services. We have T-3 bandwidth. My website is hosted by my company. I have around 150-200 MB of MP3 I've created. On average 1700 MP3s are downloaded @ 1.5 GB every month. If you're interested visit the site and contact Ed Williams (x102) and see what needs we can fulfill.
http://www.americanwebservices.com/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 12:19:29 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 12:10:13 pm »
Remind me never to piss you of.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 01:35:14 pm »
I really appreciate that you care so much about this community and that you are prepared to go the extra distance. Its not often that sites like this have a dedicated server.
It makes me smile :)

thanks Steve!

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 07:22:12 pm »
Quick update. They're building the new server as I speak. Hopefully it will be ready by tomorrow and then I can work on setting it up and moving the files over. Since there are a large number of files (all those podcasts, yikes!) and a fair number of databases it will take a little while to move and test everything. Once it looks good and works 100% at the new home I'll freeze this site, move over the databases and do the transfer. You guys probably won't even notice it, and if you do it will be pretty fast.

Oh yeah, and the reason the site went down/been slow is that the server I'm on has been hit with a denial of service attack. They are trying to fix it but those sorts of things are a pain to fix as all that's happening is that lots and lots of computers are trying to access the server and it's getting overloaded. So all you can really do when that happens is add more servers and increased bandwidth and try to block the computers hitting your server over and over again. But it's a hard thing to fix in a short time.

But stick with it, just you wait until you see all the new changes! You won't believe it.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 12:17:27 am »
Steve, another Steve (A Mr. Gibson of Gibson Research Corp) has some informative information about a DDoS attack that happened on his site. It may help give you ideas.

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
http://www.grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 09:35:39 am »
Thanks for the links. I don't think my site itself is under attack, instead the server itself is being attacked. That is the problem when you share a server, if someone else on the server messes up you site gets caught in the crossfire. Anyhow the new server is still being setup, more news as I get it.

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 03:36:23 pm »
the stars changed! they're no longer mushroom kingdomesque. Is this in honor of the new server?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master