Author Topic: [NG] The Slithe  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
[NG] The Slithe
« on: May 05, 2008, 08:29:07 am »
Meet my new creature!

The Slithe

As you can see, they don't have a head of sorts, but rather a beak on end of their long body and eye-limbs coming from just above the arms. Another thing they are missing is an obvious form of locomotion. They move similarly to some slugs and snails in that they produce a fairly slippery liquid from their underside. Then they contract and expand their tales while gripping with the non-moving part. Unfortunatly, this means they can't keep at a constant speed. Their hands have 2 fingers each, with both fingers being equally strong. Their eyes are like those security cameras you sometimes see. They can see through the dark, skin-like eye, but others can't see in. Although very similar to slugs and snails, they cannot hold themselves onto vertical surfaces. This is due to the large weight of their beak. The beak is used for hunting, and is very sharp. This is so that they can stab the prey with a Cobra-like attack.

Do you need/want to know anything else?

gec05

Re: [NG] The Slithe
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:47:21 am »
Neat!

What's their personality like?

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:14:31 am »
You say that it moves as a slug, and then you say that it hunts with the beak. This would be very unpractical since sluglike movement would make it REALLY slow, so herbivore or maybe detrivore would make more sense. And one thing more, why is it smart? Creatures aren't just smart, intellegence evolved for a reason. Other then that I like your idea :)
@davidramnero

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
Maybe the reason it's sluglike because everything else on the planet is sluglike? Maybe it's a faster type of slug foot or something.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:22:19 am »
If everything would be sluglike something that was hunted would evolve a way to move faster to escape their hunter, so that argument doesn't work.
@davidramnero

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 11:59:41 am »
Hmm. I'll have to think these through.

The reason they evolved intelligence was so they could hunt effectively. With the slow moving sluggish (geddit?) movement they needed to catch prey more accurately and with more stealth. This need for stealth boosted the Slithe intelligence and increased their capacity for learning. They soon figured that they could set traps and hunt more effectively in a group. This is how the Slithe grew intelligent.

In answer to Gec's question, because of their need for traps, they a good at predicting movements in their enemies and coming up with counter plans. They make excellent strategists.

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:11:57 pm »
Hmm. I'll have to think these through.

The reason they evolved intelligence was so they could hunt effectively. With the slow moving sluggish (geddit?) movement they needed to catch prey more accurately and with more stealth. This need for stealth boosted the Slithe intelligence and increased their capacity for learning. They soon figured that they could set traps and hunt more effectively in a group. This is how the Slithe grew intelligent.

In answer to Gec's question, because of their need for traps, they a good at predicting movements in their enemies and coming up with counter plans. They make excellent strategists.

Evolving greater speed would still be easier and more succesful comparing to how much energy it would "cost", why didn't it evolve speed? Was there something preventing it from doing so?
@davidramnero

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 12:16:15 pm »
Was it on a terrian type where any other locamotion would be deadly?

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 12:27:07 pm »
It's OK, I'm going to approve this one, but do you really want to keep the name? It's basically just "slither" without R...
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:28:21 pm »
Me and Flisch discussed and agreed about that ambushing could work, but you'll have to explain how it ambushes I think :P Does it use camoflage?
@davidramnero

gec05

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »
Take it easy Huck. Don't nitpick at people to conform to real world evolution. After all this is Spore.

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 12:43:52 pm »
No, this is NG, this is NOT spore :P
@davidramnero

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 12:56:54 pm »
Ok so to answer the questions asked.

1) Terrain.

The Slithe homeworld is very muddy and swampy. There are lots of sharp stones that would hurt to stand on, under the mud. The reason for the slug locomotion is to have a large surface area "foot" and not fall through the mud and onto the stones. For evidence that this works, when it's really snowy, wear regular shoes and fall through the snow. Then try wearing Tennis Rackets on your feet and you won't sink so far.

2)Ambushes

The colour of the Slithe is very similar to that of the mud (The planet has a lot of iron) and the mouth is the colour of the larger rocks that stick out. So, yes, it is camouflage.

3) The name

I would like to change of the name, but can't think of anything. When I thought of this one, I was going to call it Slith, but in my mind that sounded too much like Sith. So I added an "e" and thought it sounded cooler. I did not relate it to Slither without the r.

Oh, Slithe is fine.

gec05

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 01:01:23 pm »
No, this is NG, this is NOT spore :P

Welcome to the zoo! Discuss your Spore creations here!

So being that all threads in this board fall under the jurisdiction of Spore-related content and all things GamingSteve, I feel that the identity of NG will remain in that category until a separate site or forum was created specifically for it.

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:06:45 pm »
Great description Martham! I bet you will be accepted :P

And Gec, the whole point of the NG is to make plausible things and not accept whatever is thrown at us, thats not how spore works. That is how NG works. Ask Flisch, this has nothing to do with Spore.
@davidramnero