Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
What happened?
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:58:40 am »
So the other day I was looking through my collection of Gamecube games, and it suddenly dawned on me: from the fall of 2002 to the end of 2004 we had no major developments in the world of video games. Period.
In 2002 we had Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Halo, Pro Skater 4, Morrowind, Battlefield 1942, Rachet & Clank, and Warcraft III. All were games that reinvented their genres. All were huge successes.
In 2003 we had WarioWare, Viewtiful Joe, Prince of Persia, and Beyond Good and Evil. All of them had modest sales. The best selling games were all orthodox sequels, with the exception of Wind Waker and Enter the Matrix, which were generally hated by everyone.
2004 was the same thing, sans innovative games.
In late 2004/2005 we had Resident Evil 4, WoW, Half-life 2, God of War... lots of great stuff! (But it really wasn't until much later that these got picked up. This is especially true for the console front.)

So my question is this--what happened? For two years games just plain sucked.

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:09:48 pm »
Wind Waker was most definitely not hated by everyone. Some people didn't like the changes but most overall liked the game and it got fantastic reviews. Also, you're looking at one platform, which was notorious for lacking third party support. There was plenty of fantastic games in that two year period, you're just looking in the wrong places.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 02:37:51 pm »
Also, you're looking at one platform, which was notorious for lacking third party support. There was plenty of fantastic games in that two year period, you're just looking in the wrong places.
Noooo I'm not.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:24:12 pm »
with the exception of Wind Waker and Enter the Matrix, which were generally hated by everyone.

Little known fact: Wind Waker told the best story of any of the Zelda games.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:47:57 pm »
its actualy an opinion pat :P

but that doesnt mean i do not agree with you

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »
I kind of agree with you, now that I think about it. At least, I remember how crazy it was with Half-life 2, WoW, DOOM 3, and Halo 2 all coming out within a few weeks of eachother... it was crazy having so many high-profile games coming out in such quick succession.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 06:07:06 pm »
its actualy an opinion pat :P

No it isn't, it is a fact that has been proven scientifically.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:18 pm »
All science can prove is that Ocarina outsold Wind Waker and scored higher with reviewers. Story quality has no objective scale.

Now leave the science to people with white coats with bloody handprints on them.  ;)

To respond to the actual subject of the post, I would say the good games for this nugget of time are coming out around nowish.
Bioshock, GTA 4: Think of the Children!, Resi 5: Ethnic Cleansing, not to mention all the swell games around the corner like the new Fallout and Dawn of War 2: electric boogaloo (alternative title, Dawn of War 2: The legend of Gorgutz' Gold)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:22:17 pm »
not to mention all the swell games around the corner like the new Fallout and Dawn of War 2: electric boogaloo (alternative title, Dawn of War 2: The legend of Gorgutz' Gold)
...And Spore, maybe?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 06:39:15 pm »
Late '02 - late '04 no good games? We'll going from memory I'm pretty sure Kotor and Vice City came out during that time. Double Dash maybe?
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 06:46:28 pm »
not to mention all the swell games around the corner like the new Fallout and Dawn of War 2: electric boogaloo (alternative title, Dawn of War 2: The legend of Gorgutz' Gold)
...And Spore, maybe?

And metal gear solid 4 and Starcraft 2 and ..i could go on and on.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Wind Waker was most definitely not hated by everyone. Some people didn't like the changes but most overall liked the game and it got fantastic reviews.
How about this: it didn't really reinvent the series.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 09:29:26 pm »
The Sims for the GC was kinda cool..... >.>

please dont hurt me
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 02:11:03 am »
with the exception of Wind Waker and Enter the Matrix, which were generally hated by everyone.

Little known fact: Wind Waker told the best story of any of the Zelda games.

I totally agree.  I'm not sure if I could say it was better than Link to the Past, but besides that Windwaker was definitely my favourite Zelda game.  I thought the story was far more interesting than Twiglight Princess or Ocarina of Time and the range of expressions Link could make was just stunning.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:08:56 am »
Wind Waker was most definitely not hated by everyone. Some people didn't like the changes but most overall liked the game and it got fantastic reviews.
How about this: it didn't really reinvent the series.
No, it didn't but that has absolutely nothing to do with what either of us said before.