Author Topic: Aybraus's Renamed Solutions for Stuff Thread  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Aybraus's Renamed Solutions for Stuff Thread
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »
XCITING + NEW STUFF = LOOK HERE
Problem: This is another MMO-related one. People are paying (with real american dollars) Chinese sweatshop owners to get virtual money in online games! Illegally! It inflates the economy and ruins lives.
Solution: Unfortunately, MMO devs, you'll have to embrace dollar-to-gold transactions, but that doesn't mean you can't restrict it. What?
Make a system so that players can turn a certain amount of money into a certain amount of one in-game material. Not in-game currency, material, like bricks or wood or wine, something that can't easily be gathered in game. So they pick the material, then put in a buncha moneys, then put in their credit card numbers.
This will encourage trade and be self-regulating (because people only need so much bricks). If the system is convenient to use, people will use it more than IGE.
Also, force players who reach a certain a certain amount of wealth to spend it on NPC crap before they can get any more. Or just go Zelda and cap people's money tank.
Or ban chinese ips
========================
BORING OLD STUFF WHY BOTHER READING?
Problem: Second Life is filled with weirdos and people I don't like. It seems that anarchy actually is too idealistic. What can I do?
Solution: Having grown up on the streets, I know that even without any  rules, people can make order by using the rule "Dying is bad." Agriculture aside, that's basically how civilization was made. Unfortunately, there's no way to make Second Life players pay the ultimate price. Well I say they should make killing a feature!
Once a day, a given player can kill another using a dialogue box. Ten players will be given the first four letters of his username (so they can do some justice against the murderer if the victim didn't deserve it).
The player who has been killed will have to pay a small fee in order to come back into the game with all possessions intact but under a new name. Having played an MMO and grown up on the streets I know this is like dying in the cyberworld.
The "kill button" will insure that nobody acts in a way that is not appreciated by the rest of the community.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:19:34 pm by Aybraus »

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
Re: How to make open-ended world like Second Life not suck
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:33:23 am »
I'm not entirely sure what your saying, but in my opinion you're "kill" method seems pretty griefy.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:51:26 am »
This would multiply the suck factor so much its not even funny.
"Hey guys, I made these three-hundred new accounts, who shall we go kill and force to pay constantly to get back in?"

"Hey, I dont appreciate you wearing green on your avatar, eat 5 reactivation fee ATTACK!"
"Hi, im new to this community and appreciate the fact if I dont like someone/something, I can just not visit again, or mute people I dont like, or report them... but hey you, eat a cumulative 16 fee"

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 12:00:43 pm »
Excuse me, but why fix something that isn't broken?  Why not just use the mute function?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 04:03:04 pm »
This would multiply the suck factor so much its not even funny.
"Hey guys, I made these three-hundred new accounts, who shall we go kill and force to pay constantly to get back in?"

"Hey, I dont appreciate you wearing green on your avatar, eat 5 reactivation fee ATTACK!"
"Hi, im new to this community and appreciate the fact if I dont like someone/something, I can just not visit again, or mute people I dont like, or report them... but hey you, eat a cumulative 16 fee"

^lol

Anyway, this would suck big time, for reasons already made clear in this topic.
An ingame Jail or something would be a bit more fun, though still ingame. Having to pay real money because of others grieving just sucks big time.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 04:23:59 pm »
Real money would suck. Not real-..maybe.

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:03:57 pm »
I have to disagree with this wholeheartedly. It's possibilities for abuse are mind-boggling.

My solution is much more elegant and inspiring: Require the user to validate that they're over 18!

And none of that: "You're 18, right?" "Er... Sure, I'm Eig**Voice Cracks*ghteen!
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:12:03 pm »
The fact is, I've seen people > 18 act more childish than some 10 year olds... IQ tests are the way to go.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 11:22:30 pm »
And yet the worst griefers are those with some grain of intelligence and persistance.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 06:24:08 am »
The fact is, I've seen people > 18 act more childish than some 10 year olds... IQ tests are the way to go.

In fact, why don't we rate everything off IQ- drivers licenses, movies, games. The world would be a better place.

(I'm serious; my IQ is 146)

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 06:54:16 am »
I have a better idea.  A M@MQ test (A moral and mature quotient test).  It asks questions about what you would do in certain situations, and you have to have a lie-detecter during the test.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 07:29:11 am »
How would the lie-detector work? Though, the M@MQ test might work, if they change the questions every two days or so and hire a professional psychologist to make the test. But even then, people might still be able to pretend that they are "good".

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 07:52:09 am »

In fact, why don't we rate everything off IQ- drivers licenses, movies, games. The world would be a better place.

(I'm serious; my IQ is 146)

Firstly, because IQ is a pretty poor indicator of anything - This autistic ten year old will make a fine President! - and secondly because Doctor* Bob's Honest* Internet IQ Test is a pretty poor indicator of that.

I think we'll just have to resign to the fact that open-ended worlds like second life suck. Which is good, because that makes it okay to laugh at all the trolling. Heaven help anyone who takes such a sucky thing seriously.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 10:05:35 am »
Ban all role-players to one server. Griefers are just annoying, but role-players are creepy, take everything seriously, and are prone to histrionic behavior.

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 10:46:52 am »
Then the griefers go to the RP server and ruin it for them.