Author Topic: So I'm lookin for a new car...  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
So I'm lookin for a new car...
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:21:42 pm »
because gas prices are killing me and I want to trade in my Volvo while it still has a fair amount of value (and before the repair bills start creeping up).

I'm looking at the Honda Civic... that 40/45 MPG definitely looks better on the gas budget.

Does anyone own a Honda Civic, or know much about the Hybrid's reliability, pros/cons?

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: So I'm lookin for a new car...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:32:20 pm »
Honda, in general, is a solid car. My Mom used to have a civic and that thing was the best car she ever owned, never had any problems or anything.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:47:42 pm »
Are you going to buy a new or used car?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:34:02 am »
My mother's Civic has served her very well over the years, I'd recommend it.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:21 am »
Honda dropped their Hybrid Civic from production because the cost and complexity wasn't worth it.

How much do you want to spend? How many people are you going to have in it? How much driving do you do, how far? Average speed? What are your preferences towards handling, ride type, cargo needs, etc.? Manual or automatic transmission?

New cars have been changing in both design and quality rapidly the last few years. Some companies are riding their reputations (Toyota and Honda are great examples) but their quality is starting to erode. One thing about the Civic that has changed is that to cut costs they've changed their suspension. If you 'just drive' you probably wouldn't notice or care, but if you push your car some you'll see the difference. You cannot compare a 2008 to a 2005 Civic for example, they've gotten heavier, slower, and less responsive.

Hopefully this can remain a civil thread, car manufacturer loyalty in a internet forum can do spinning out of control.

Also, check the posters location on opinion, not to knock you Daxx, but the cars do have differences between the UK and US, often US models of Japanese and European cars are a couple years behind and have different safety and emmisions gear.

-Lego
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:20:32 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:14:08 am »
That's a good point. I couldn't honestly tell you much about cars in the US since they're bound to be different. YMMV should be applied to every post in this thread of course.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:19:40 pm »
I'm looking for used, but new is an option.

According to Honda's website, the 2008 model starts at $22,250 (Thats a bit high on my price range, but not out of reach)

Ideally I'm looking for a car that can keep me afloat during this gas crunch as my new job has me doing a lot more driving than I used to.

So by 'stopped production' you mean they are no longer making 2008 civic hybrids and won't be having a 2009 model?

As for use of the car, It needs to hold, at most 2 people, maybe 4 on rare occasion. (a 2 door would be acceptable).

My first and formost requirement is fuel efficiency, followed by cost then safety.

I don't give a rat's gizzard about how it looks, how powerful the engine is or the country of origin of its manufacturer.

I'm more than happy to buy used, though I'd want a newer 'used' car with >10,000 miles on it.

My budget is pretty much capped at $22,250, though I'd rather aim for more of the $14,000 - $15,000 range.

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:24:39 pm »
Get a four door if you can, the extra space will be invaluable.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:04:12 pm »
Something to consider would be check with local rental companies, they usually turn their cars around at 20-30,000 miles, and you usually can get a nice deal. I happen to rentinga van right now from Enterprise and they are selling Nissans 4-dr sedans for $14k with 22.000 miles.

Most newer GM cars have a 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranties on them.
Hiyundai (sp) have 10yr 100,000 mile warranties on them.

'to keep me afloat during the gas crunch'.... um I don't think it is going to go away. I doubt  below $3.50 a gallon will be a reality again after the fall of 2008. It sucks, but it is the way things are going to go. (and lets not make this a 'cost of fuel argument either folks, this is a looking for car thread)

In my opinion, hybrids are not worth the extra cost. Compare a Toyota Prius to a Toyota Echo... basically the same cars in terms of size, space, and cargo. Assuming that you have to pay the same on maintenance for 100,000 miles (which is proving to not be true given the battery packs in Hybrids seem to last 60-80,000 miles on average) gas needs to be over $10 a gallon (throughout the entire 100,000 miles) for your cost TO BREAK EVEN. Hybrids are, right now, emotional toys for the guilty of concience.

Given that you are going to go small, don't discount safety. Having hit a Ford Fiesta with a school bus, as well as investgated bus/car accidents for seven years, little cars do not fair well when hit by anything bigger than themselves.

Since we could go round and round, how about you post three cars you are considering so that we can give opinions?

-Lego

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:22:28 pm »
Well here is a nice little nugget of joy...

Not 1 day after I began my search for a new car I was visiting my parents. We went out to dinner with them and one of my dad's old drinking buddies. The drinking buddy's mom finally got too senile and is being moved to a nursing home, and has a Honda Accord (2007) with only 3,100 miles on it...and a few scuffs on the front fender. (No actual damage)

He is offering it for $13,500.
His brother actually wanted it too, and he said that if his brother takes his offer of 13,500, he'll give it to his brother (which is understandable). But if his brother tries to chisel down the price he'd be willing to sell it to me.

So right now the two cars I'm looking at would be this 2007 Honda Accord with 3,100 miles on it for $13,500
or a brand new 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid for $22,250

If I had to throw in a third car, I'd say a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid with >10,000 miles on it...though picking up a car a rental company is done with is another option.

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 08:26:35 pm »
I've had great experiences with the Civic/Accords.  The body will fall apart long before the engine/drivetrain will.  My friend has a 1986 with 250k miles and it still runs great.  You can, however, see the road through the passenger floorboard.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 06:21:03 am »
Toyota Yaris, around $12,000 new and 40 mpg.