Author Topic: Creature Showdown - Next Race Poll!  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Creature Showdown - Next Race Poll!
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:04:49 pm »
I have four or so new race ideas, but the NG only allows one race per user... So now you guys get to decide who is expanded upon. I'll put up short descriptions of the contestants here, then add pictures as soon as I can (my personal computer brokeded, so I'm using the 'family' computer). Finally, I will add a poll for everyone to decide.

Note: If the thread seems lacking at first, keep in mind that I no longer have constant computer access, and the fact that the only way I can get my self to get around to posting on a forum is to make the thread ahead of time. Complicated, no?

Anyway, I'll start with my oldest NG concept:

Name: GLM
Type: Artificial

The GLM are a race of artificial beings that more resemble a blob than an actual creature, though they usually take on a racially 'default' form when dealing with other species. They aren't actually a single construct, but a colony of millions of nanobots that can climb around each other to form different shapes. I know they may seem a tad godmoddy, but they have several restrictions put on them, such as:

-They devour themselves. A special organ in the GLM constantly cannibalizes other nanobots, so more must be constantly constructed.
-In order to prevent all their nanobots from being eaten, they must 'carve' mass into new nanobots.
-Fire temporarily shuts down the nanobots it burns, turning them into a hard, black plate-like structure that cannot change shape.
-EMP pulses reduce a GLM into a worthless puddle of chrome goo (albeit only for a few days).
-Because each nanobot is fully outfitted with all the sensors needed by a GLM, sensory overload is a common problem.
-In order for a new GLM to be produced, brain tissue from a living organism must be used as a 'womb' for the nanobots to mature in.

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Showdown - Next Race Poll!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:27:41 am »
Yay nanobots!
the real saviour of this forum