Author Topic: Determinism Vs. Freewill  (Read 14426 times)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Determinism Vs. Freewill
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:46:35 pm »
The point I'm trying to make is that although everything is based on statistics and probability, the thing we percieve as our mind is also based on exactly that, and thus we do have free will.  Just not in the vague warm and fuzzy sense of the word.

Free Will isn't Maths.  Maths is Free Will...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:55:35 pm »
The key phrase there is all possible universes.  If there are infinite paths, there are infinite choices.  And you get to make all of them at once.

Infinite.  INFINITE!

But if you make them all at once, how is there a choice?  It's like picking the color on the first cars, "you can have any color you want as long as it's brown."

The point I'm trying to make is that although everything is based on statistics and probability, the thing we percieve as our mind is also based on exactly that, and thus we do have free will.  Just not in the vague warm and fuzzy sense of the word.

Free Will isn't Maths.  Maths is Free Will...

That's what I'm not getting about your idea, how is something random anything like free will?  It's not exactly determinism, but there's still no actual choice involved.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 02:01:52 am »
It's difficult to argue against a deterministic universe, but I'm happy to believe that illusory free will is no worse than the real thing.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 07:33:48 am »
Its weird, I agree with every thing you guys are saying but the thing I am doubting is the fact that you guys are all strangers on the internet. Me and my friends (actually, just me) are debating about freewill, and most of them have ever even heard of quantum physics or determinism. I trust you guys more then a couple of 13 year olds, because you are the majority and more educated. But there, in the real world, I feel like I am the only atheist who has ever even thought about this stuff. How do you convince people like that? Or rather, not convince, but just explain your ideas in a way they'll understand? To them I'm the dumb one that every one teams up on...
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 08:34:32 am »
By bothering to post, I have created a new timeline, by reading, you have created another. We could have done differently but now we are facing the result of our actions. It WILL happen and YOU can't stop the new dimension from forming. I go for determinism on a dimensional scale and free will on a timeline.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 08:40:48 am »
Arguments on free will usually rely on some sort of soul, because the brain is nothing much more than a very complicated computer bound by the physical (deterministic) laws of the universe. Most of its properties (including self-awareness) are nothing more than emergent phenomena which have arisen from the extremely complicated way the brain is put together.

If the brain is governed by deterministic laws, then it must itself be deterministic; i.e. it receives some input, processes that through an extremely complex system based on present state and determined reactions, and gives an output. There is no room for choice - that is, if you take the brain apart you can't find any particular thing that is making a choice.

That's the fundamental argument for suggesting that we are devoid of truly free will. Unless someone brings up the concept of a immaterial soul, which is an entirely different argument, then there's little wiggle room for suggesting that our choices are anything but deterministic outcomes of the universe just doing its thing - of course you'd be surprised how many people misunderstand the concept of determinism, or who simply aren't able to comprehend that they are basically just a complicated machine.

EDIT: Do keep thinking about this, 7. I find it interesting as well.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:44:17 am by Daxx »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 10:08:14 am »
I believe in some sort of determinism as a result of my belief in the M-theory. There's an infinite amount of Universes, and every single one has its own timeline; infinite amount of timelines. There's no free will because everything in our timeline has already been determined. I might look at a sign as I walk down the street, while in another Universe I'll instead look down on my shoes. There's no place for free will in such a world.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 02:27:33 pm »
As I always consider it:

Even if the destinations determined the route you take, and what you do on the way there, is up to you.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 04:12:12 pm »
Im not so sure, the points in Determinism are very strong but Im curious. Whats to stop me from being in a GREAT mood and then suddenly I get the thought, "I wonder what would happen if I attacked this man walking down the street". Obviously im in a great mood and normal people dont do that but thats where I think freewill comes into play. Anything can happen at anytime.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 09:36:30 pm »
The thing is, things like that don't happen. You aren't in a good mood and then just decide to kill someone.
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:19 pm »
I think you would be surprised. Yes there are people like that out there...
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 10:13:20 pm »
People like that have mental problems of some kind, which is still a reason. You can't chose to be insane.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 03:20:18 am »
Im not so sure, the points in Determinism are very strong but Im curious. Whats to stop me from being in a GREAT mood and then suddenly I get the thought, "I wonder what would happen if I attacked this man walking down the street". Obviously im in a great mood and normal people dont do that but thats where I think freewill comes into play. Anything can happen at anytime.

Whats to stop your computer from running fine and then suddenly crashing massively and deleting all your precious documents?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 03:37:21 am »

The logic in this falls down because you're assuming that since you could do something out of the ordinary, and you don't, that this is because of free will.

The reason you thought about it in the first place was determined by the chemical and physical makeup of your brain at the time. The reason you decided not to was determined by the chemical and physical makeup of your brain at the time. At no time is "normality" factored in anywhere. It's just a giant rube goldberg machine going through the paces.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 09:06:37 am »
It does not matter if one have free will or not.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)