Poll

Should prostitution be legalized?

Yes.
No.

Author Topic: Political and Social Theory Discussion  (Read 83200 times)

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
Political and Social Theory Discussion
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:43:52 pm »
As the title states, this thread is for discussing political and social theory. To start off the thread, I pose Social Darwinism to be discussed. Remember! Don't be close minded!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_darwinism

Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Political and Social Theory Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 04:04:47 pm »
Social Darwinism is a horrible, horrible idea.

Survival of the fittest is a brutal, unfair process which we would do well to distance ourselves from.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 04:06:36 pm »
Social Darwinism was used as an excuse for postindustrial imperialism like the carving up of Africa.

It is quite a skewed concept, in that the general assumption is that one society can be 'better evolved' than another and have the right to control that other.

So no. Bad Social Darwinism.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:17:38 pm »
Good points. This is how a discussion should look, not a bunch of fiery posts attacking one another. Now for my opinion.

Social Darwinism as it has been used by Fascist and Colonial Empires seeking to grab more land, is, at its heart, immoral. However the question is "Does it's being immoral, by today's standards, make it incorrect?". That is not a argument I wish to spark. So, instead, I will  simply say that I believe their are many equally 'better evolved' cultures, however in my personal opinion, modern civilization is not mankind's true and natural form. So, should the 'better evolved' cultures take control of the lesser cultures? No, not in my opinion.
I know that sounded very wordy for such a simple answer, but I wanted to raise a few questions.     
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:31:07 pm by swamp »
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:20:41 pm »
I think thats mainly because the topic of discussion you picked is so uncontroversial.

Seriously, almost no-one since the second world war has honestly believed in Social Darwinism, and the ones that do tend to dress up in sheets and set fire to big t's on people's lawns.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:24:35 pm »
I posted it in the Off-Topic, but I think here is a good place.

Polygamy. What do you think of it, and should it be legal? I'm polygamous, and I hope that it becomes legal by the time I need it.

You want controversial, I gave you controversial...

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:34:54 pm »

Survival of the fittest is a brutal, unfair process which we would do well to distance ourselves from.

Agreed.
Wish the concept was less prevalent in society though as it is still taught in schools and for most believed which I find asinine and pathetic. Out of Darwins greatest theory's and discoveries I have to say social Darwinism is the worst concept of his to exist in the world.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »
On the subject of polygamy, I think it should be addressed the same way as I think homosexuality should be address, by letting those who practice it practice it. I mean, if your not into polygamy, don't marry two people and no skin off your nose.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:03:07 pm »

Agreed.
Wish the concept was less prevalent in society though as it is still taught in schools and for most believed which I find asinine and pathetic. Out of Darwins greatest theory's and discoveries I have to say social Darwinism is the worst concept of his to exist in the world.
Sorry for the double post, but Darwin didn't come up with Social Darwinism, his name is used by colonialists to create the illusion that science supports their conquest and rape of Africa and other less advanced regions and their people.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:24 pm »
How do you say both of the last two?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »
I'm incredibly conservative!

Like that.

Polygamy should be legal, but monitored more closesly than domestic unions or marriages. We wouldn't want any large age gaps or child abuse.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:38:33 am »
polygamy should only be made legal under strict circumstances we wouldn't want to just give consent for people to take multiple partners without the first partner knowing about it.
Never mind your own business.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:16:02 am »
Isn't it sexism?

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:56 am »
Isn't it sexism?

Not if it works both ways....

Polygamy is fine in my opinion; although I do not believe I could ever consent to a thee-way relationship because of how jealous I'd be.
Getting it officially accepted as marriage will be incredibly difficult.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 11:41:59 am »
Isn't it sexism?

Not if it works both ways....

I've never heard of a one woman -> two men longterm-relationship.