Author Topic: Space Stage Question of Money  (Read 6874 times)

Offline SouledOne

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Souled
Re: Space Stage Question of Money
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 09:20:24 am »
Yeah having so many could get insane unless they had it where perhaps each star cluster was sepearted into a grouping so like ..

cell -> creature (has many cells) -> building (has many creatures) -> city (has many buildings) -> planet (has many cities) -> solar system (has many planets) -> star cluster ( has many solar systems) -> galactic arm (has many star clusters) -> galaxy (has many galactic arms) -> universe (has many galaxies)

Ok the last one was a bit too big but you get the idea.

Also if you galactic empire gets too big do you think it will split off into factions? So like the same species but different civilization.

Oooh, now there's an interesting question.  I doubt that it will be part of the game, but that would be very interesting if you had to control infighting and secession in your own species.  Oh well, maybe in an expansion pack...

That is interesting. They could have problems like that compounded if your species hasn't discovered a means of FTLC (Faster than Light Communications) which would be a signficant problem in a galactic empire...

Offline King-Dumb

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I spy with my little eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 03:01:06 pm »
Yeah having so many could get insane unless they had it where perhaps each star cluster was sepearted into a grouping so like ..

cell -> creature (has many cells) -> building (has many creatures) -> city (has many buildings) -> planet (has many cities) -> solar system (has many planets) -> star cluster ( has many solar systems) -> galactic arm (has many star clusters) -> galaxy (has many galactic arms) -> universe (has many galaxies)

Ok the last one was a bit too big but you get the idea.

Also if you galactic empire gets too big do you think it will split off into factions? So like the same species but different civilization.

Oooh, now there's an interesting question.  I doubt that it will be part of the game, but that would be very interesting if you had to control infighting and secession in your own species.  Oh well, maybe in an expansion pack...

That is interesting. They could have problems like that compounded if your species hasn't discovered a means of FTLC (Faster than Light Communications) which would be a signficant problem in a galactic empire...

Also wouldn't the species split up into different species down to evolution? Now that would be intressing.
It's only a matter of time before Sporepedia has a highpopulation than the Earth, and when that day comes, there will be much rejoicing.

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 08:51:48 am »
Maybe it's like SimCity where everything costs money to do. An example would be that to raise or lower land, or any kind of terraforming takes energy from your UFO, and energy will cost you money.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
It would be nice if you could change the name of the currency from Spice to something else :|
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:51 pm »
I wonder if you would have to create harvesters or harvest spice, melange?.

Offline Sheezy

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 10:26:54 pm »
What I don't get about spore, is that there are harvesters for melange.
Now, the only place melange comes from is dune.
Or a planet that has started the cycle.
If you were to start the melange cycle, the planet would turn into another dune.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 02:33:08 pm »
Can someone explain this "spice" nonsense to me? I've been away far to long, it seems, however I've always thought that any currency would be based around natural resources on planets. Particularly something all planets could share, heavy metals and certain chemicals/elements for example.

Or is the "spice" stuff an in-joke that I've missed in my year or two in seclusion?
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 02:46:01 pm »
No, they actually said that your only Resource is Spice.... It sounds pretty silly to me but whatever :\

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »
No, they actually said that your only Resource is Spice.... It sounds pretty silly to me but whatever :\

Hoping they change it to simoleons, or at least something more solid, like minerals, gold, spores, at least for the civ stage
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 01:19:49 am »
what is silly about spice???

It is not more silly than a metal in rare quantities like gold, silver, diamonds...

Its is the same. A currency that is found in rare quantities.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Sheezy

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 01:35:08 am »
Spice isnt "spices" as in seasoning
Its melange, in dune.
Although what I STLL don't get, is that starting the melange  cycle on another planet turns it into another dune eventually, so it couldnt be harvested just anywhere.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 05:51:24 am »
what is silly about spice???

It is not more silly than a metal in rare quantities like gold, silver, diamonds...

Its is the same. A currency that is found in rare quantities.

Well, spice (in the non-dune sense) is an edible garnish. It doesnt sound very impressive if your main economy is an edible commodity. It just doesnt sound like a viable main resource. It'd be like if your employer suddenly decided that he'd pay everyone in breadsticks instead of shiny things and coloured paper.

Spice isnt "spices" as in seasoning
Its melange, in dune.
Although what I STLL don't get, is that starting the melange  cycle on another planet turns it into another dune eventually, so it couldnt be harvested just anywhere.

Melange is a drug though, example above instead of breadsticks, ritalin or ******. tempting as it may be, i prefer inedible material goods as economy markers.

But if they choose to name it spice..... I guess it doesnt really matter a whole lot. It's silly, cant always take everything serious  ;D
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 07:06:25 am »
Actually, having a bunch of metals, wood, etc that you could trade would be cooler.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 07:19:29 am »
I think they said that you can pick what you want your main resource to be called. The people who wrote that preview decided on Spice, so now everyone calls the resources Spice after them. I can't seem to find the article now, though... :-\

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 10:46:45 am »
I like Spice :P

I think having many resource types would take away from  part of the concept of the game and make it more RTS like, which might drive away some of their more casual audience. Having only one resource type to keep track of simplifies a lot of things.

You can always make a sort of back story for it. It's not to say that your people don't need/use other resources, they just use this for a currency for whatever reason. Maybe it powers your ships, maybe your people are addicted to it, maybe it tastes good in your traditional stew made from other creatures XD