Author Topic: Space Stage Question of Money  (Read 7114 times)

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
Space Stage Question of Money
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:11:08 am »
I was just wondering if anyone has heard how Spore will be able to keep in check the amount of money you are able to obtain in the space stage? Such as having 20-30 colonies farming as much money as they can and getting a ridculous amount to where money turns into nothing to concern yourself about. You think they might put a cap on something like money per second so there is a max that you can earn a minute, or just a max on how much your race is able to keep like a 1,000,000 "dollar" limit at once adn the rest goes to waist?

"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Space Stage Question of Money
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:45:11 am »
I seem to recall something about culture becoming more important than money in the space stage. So perhaps money can eventually be something you don't have to worry about but cultural influence is.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:40:44 am »
You have to get the point of having 20-30 colonies first.  I think by that time, you'll be done, or nearly done with the storyline.  And continuing is no longer about challenge but about fun.  Its the same with most games that let you keep playing after you "win".  You're struggling in the start, and free and clear by the end.  But they've been balancing the game for ages.  It shouldn't be a problem. 

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:47:01 am »
I would assume that each established colony has to have a selfsufficient economy and trade, so when you've made sure that your colony has a stable "spice"-production you can move on to other things..
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:29:24 pm »
Could be that in Space stage, everything is so friggin' expensive that having 1,000,000 moneys will only get you something small.  Like another colony...
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:57:10 pm »
I seem to recall something about culture becoming more important than money in the space stage. So perhaps money can eventually be something you don't have to worry about but cultural influence is.
yea, that's what i'd say. The space phase is supposed to be more of a "playground" than a real challenge (how i've interpreted it). The only real challenge is spreading your culture and maybe buying new tools for your ufo, which probably wouldn't actually take that long because they want it to be about exploring more than collecting money for the next item.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:12:01 pm »
Culture could be like a second currency.

It could be used to pace and regulate your expansion.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 04:41:17 pm »
i like the culture idea, that would really help make the game last longer because I actually want to play this game more after I have completed the storyline and the missions, but making it really easy to go around and not need to worry about anything would kind of lower that play value for me. The only problem I see with the culture thing is that you are aloud to be a "Merchant" race, and making a ton of money, along with trading will allow you to buy your friends. I try not to exploit things I find in game that make it less entertaining but it is hard not to every once in a while to get something. I have always been wondering how the SimCity portion of the game will be when you have a ton of citys going at once, how would you be able to keep them happy all the time? You ight think 20 colonyies is a lot, but I plan on having every planet in my solar system colonized before I leave it, and then going to the next closest
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
I don't think you'll have to worry about that xnodas. As I recall something was said at some point which suggested most system would not have more than one or a few inhabitable planets ( I can't find the quote right now). Systems like our own with 9 planets are supposedly rare in real life as well as in spore, and since it seems we wont be seeing moons at least until after expansions, it doesn't seem like it would take too much to colonize your whole system.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:03:25 am »
But the more colonies you have, the more you'll have to spend on them.

Like in the total war games, as you expand you have a much larger income, but also need to have a larger army to defend your land, and therefore spend more.

You do have more money, but it is worth comparatively less.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline microgta

• Gorf Goon
  • OH NOES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:05 pm »
Of course this is all theory.
"gameplayer.com will fail" says Petike.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:45:35 pm »
Yeah having so many could get insane unless they had it where perhaps each star cluster was sepearted into a grouping so like ..

cell -> creature (has many cells) -> building (has many creatures) -> city (has many buildings) -> planet (has many cities) -> solar system (has many planets) -> star cluster ( has many solar systems) -> galactic arm (has many star clusters) -> galaxy (has many galactic arms) -> universe (has many galaxies)

Ok the last one was a bit too big but you get the idea.

Also if you galactic empire gets too big do you think it will split off into factions? So like the same species but diffrent civilization.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
Yeah having so many could get insane unless they had it where perhaps each star cluster was sepearted into a grouping so like ..

cell -> creature (has many cells) -> building (has many creatures) -> city (has many buildings) -> planet (has many cities) -> solar system (has many planets) -> star cluster ( has many solar systems) -> galactic arm (has many star clusters) -> galaxy (has many galactic arms) -> universe (has many galaxies)

Ok the last one was a bit too big but you get the idea.

Also if you galactic empire gets too big do you think it will split off into factions? So like the same species but different civilization.

Oooh, now there's an interesting question.  I doubt that it will be part of the game, but that would be very interesting if you had to control infighting and secession in your own species.  Oh well, maybe in an expansion pack...
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 07:30:47 am »
What he said..
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 08:46:17 am »
yeah im pretty sure after a certain point money will be no object, or maybe once you reach the centre of the universe this will be the case