Author Topic: Will you need an account to get pollinated content?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
Will you need an account to get pollinated content?
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:45:53 am »
For me it seems obvious, making you need an account to get content will get players to buy the game. If you take something like WoW, where you need an account to login to the game, you have to buy it. Sure you can play on pirate servers but then you miss all the Blizzard created pages like the Armory and the Tournaments. I guess you will be able to play Spore without an account but I hope you will miss some parts by doing so, you won't get content from other players, you will be all alone, and your creations will never leave your computer.

I have preordered the game a long time ago and I will even buy the Creature Creator thingy for $10. But I hope we who buy the game gets an account so that we can be part of the community. Having an account will also help limiting the numbers of "peniscreatures" running around the galaxies.

Any thoughts? Would you like the game to be "free for all", just giving you an option to create an account ingame once you start it for the first time, without the need for a cd-key. Or would you, like me, like the game to give accounts connected to a cd-key, limiting your key to one account?

For me it's a great way to get people to buy the game, imagine you've just created a creature for the last 5 hours, and no one will ever see it...

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: Will you need an account to get pollinated content?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:52:13 am »
Free for all,  I don't care about phallus creatures, if I see one I just blow it to hell.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:57:34 am »
I'd like an account, just to be able to get feed back on my creatures and share my creations and exploitations in spore with my friends (especially something that updates statistics automatically, universe knows I won't be doing much other than playing once I get it for awhile).

I like having a CD-Key connected to an account, even though I usually play on two different computers (both mine, laptop and PC) I've never had any problems since I'm only ever on one at once. I even do this with the Sims 2 and just save my houses and upload them back and forth :)

Maybe they'll let you create accounts ahead of time, but will let you register your CD Key later? (Somewhat similar to Sims2)

Having registered/linked to CD Key accounts would probably also cut down on imposters. I know I'd be pretty miffed if someone made an account, pretended to be me and took credit for creating all my creatures, ect. I'm sure they'll have some way to track the original creator...

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:52:37 pm »
On a video a while ago i remembe that in the sporepedia you could click a creation and find out who it came from, it had a sporeish sorta myspace page with a woman on the front.
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:28:39 pm »
I think that with all the pirating these days maxis would be pretty stupid not to use a cd key connected to an account. Just the other day I wanted to install Empire Earth on a different computer but the cd key wouldn't work. I googled for a cd key and the first one I found worked fine. This shows that just having a cd key or just having an online account won't stop pirating. IMHO the only way to stop it is to have a cd key connected to an online account. I'm pretty sure they've said that your going to have an account for your sporepedia page so it wouldn't be much harder to have it connected to a cd key. This would stop a lot of pirating because then people would have to download each creature/building/ufo/etc seperately from other sites.......this is too hard to type on my iPod but you get the idea. maybe I'll edit tomorow from my computer.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:51:49 pm »
I don't care about phallus creatures, if I see one I just blow it to hell.

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a long while...

But yes, you'd probably need an account. I don't see why not...

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 08:02:18 pm »
Free for all,  I don't care about phallus creatures, if I see one I just blow it to hell.

And the Paris Hilton Award goes to Plank Of Wood!

-Lego

Offline rifteroftime

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »
The only thing that concerns me with one account per CD key is multiple people in the same house playing the game. I know at least myself and my brother will play this game, and I would not be excited if I had to share an account with him because of the way creatures will work in the Sporepedia (myspace-esque.)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:00:06 am »
I guess you will be able to play Spore without an account but I hope you will miss some parts by doing so, you won't get content from other players, you will be all alone, and your creations will never leave your computer.

Man, thats a mean thing to say.

Grow up.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 05:35:22 am »

And the Paris Hilton Award goes to Plank Of Wood!

-Lego

Oh... now I get it!  :P

Also, Spore would be lame if you couldn't see all the other creatures people are making.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 05:49:38 am »
I say you may not need an accont to get stuff.

Fan Sites will most likely have downloadable content for the game.
I know my personal site will have all my creations on it.
It's the verry nature of the 'net.

Look at all The Sims 2 sites that have downloads, some that you have to pay to get content even, and EA looks the other way as they don't see a dime from those sites that have that set-up that way.

The money goes for servers to hold all the content, natch, this might not be a huge issue with SPORE as we've been told the files are teeny tiny like, and one can get a free site w/ like 10-20MB.

That should be more then enough for a personal or fan site for SPORE.

So, I say even if one doesn't have an account they will still be able to get things, just have to go outside the game to download the stuff from fan sites, intead of doing it in-game with the official site.