Author Topic: Botanical Spore: Sentient Plants  (Read 43936 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Botanical Spore...
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2007, 08:41:16 pm »
Now with the Sims 2 having "Plantsims" do you think such a thing will be included in spore having mobile plants like on Sagan? That don't just look like walking plants but can get their energy from the sun and only need to drink water.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:04 am »
Why not? Sim Earth had Carniferns. Mobile meat eating plants.  :-\

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2007, 03:24:04 am »
I mean the features could be linked to parts. Such as leaves for photosynthesis. So you could have a plant .. er ... plent that photosynthesises AND ate other creature or even plants.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2007, 04:09:00 am »
Yeah, or a creature with plants all over him. That he would look like a plant but he isn't.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2007, 04:24:51 am »
Haha, now you respond 2 years later!  ;D

Yeah i agree, it probably could happen. I have Sims 2 Seasons and it seems likely!
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2007, 09:26:17 am »
Hi,

I brough up the subject up about intelagent plant life awile ago, do a search for "Thinking Plants and the Invasion of the universe", there is some really good stuff in there.

Hope it helps.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2007, 10:05:52 am »
Ok, I will give it a try.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Smedlorificus

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2007, 10:31:30 am »
I'd love to make triffids. Or at least carnivorous plants of some sort, even normal ones.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2007, 02:57:05 pm »
Hi,

I brough up the subject up about intelagent plant life awile ago, do a search for "Thinking Plants and the Invasion of the universe", there is some really good stuff in there.

Hope it helps.

If you can find it then report it to the mods (see the lower right button) and they can merge it with this. Course this i think was around 1st since its so old.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2007, 05:40:39 pm »
There should definitely be sentient plants, considering we already have the icons for em  ;D

Offline Hapatchi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • www.aechq.com
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2007, 06:25:31 pm »
Plants use photosynthesis to harvest energy from the sunlight and turn it into glucose.  The cycle used to create this glucose doesnt give off enough energy for active lifestyles though.  A plant would also need a lot of mitochondria to become active creatures.  They would still be able to do photosynthesis, but they would then be able to quickly use the glucose that they made, giving them more energy and potentially enabling higher functions such as thinking and movement.  Movement would require a revamp of the plant's system though, because it would now need muscles.  The problem with this is that once the plant starts to move around, its roots will become obsolete.  The roots are how the plant gets its water and minerals.  This could be overcome if there was another method of obtaining nutrients.  Water can be gotten easily enough in a puddle.  The venus fly trap, a carnivorous plant, only digests its prey for its Nitrogen, which the plant does not have access too because of poor soil.  Nitrogen could still be gotten through some sort of method like this that the plant could develop.  Following this model, a sentient and movable plant could be established...

Some real-life problems would be that the muscles would need a way to quickly get energy, hence a complex circulatory system would need to be built.  This would also be needed to sustain the brain, which uses as much as 25% of the energy in a human and would presumably do the same in a sentient plant.

So essentially what you would have is a plant with many of the same organ systems that a normal animals have...  And it would still probably be weaker and less active than an animal. 

Offline qyasogk

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2007, 06:36:11 pm »
I am one of those weird people looking forward to the Plant editor! i like the idea if designing plants and trees and seeing them "grow" over a world. I think though that if you want your plant creature to be walking around, eating and what not, it's really an animal, though you can make it look however you want. and isn't there some insect that looks like a twig?

Offline Hapatchi

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • www.aechq.com
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2007, 07:41:12 pm »
Yeah.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »
I am one of those weird people looking forward to the Plant editor! i like the idea if designing plants and trees and seeing them "grow" over a world. I think though that if you want your plant creature to be walking around, eating and what not, it's really an animal, though you can make it look however you want. and isn't there some insect that looks like a twig?

Its called a stick insect. It uh.. looks like a stick.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2007, 10:42:25 pm »
There are numerous types of Phasmids.

This looks awesome.  ( I wonder if it's real.)