Author Topic: Personal Problem Discussion Thread  (Read 232692 times)

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Problem Discussion Thread
« Reply #1755 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »
... Uh, Hi... Pat... ... Wh-

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1756 on: May 02, 2012, 09:22:40 pm »
... Uh, Hi... Pat... ... Wh-

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFNKccJc5eo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFNKccJc5eo</a>

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:44 pm »
Well, I seem to have a problem I need a bit of help with.
I ended my Freshman year with F's in two classes - science and math. Science was due to a lack of effort, totally my own fault. Math, on the other hand, was from a lack of understanding. Arguably from a lack of effort as well, as so-called tutoring was available at school, but trusting some of the people who mistreat me most (coughSENIORScough) to help me with my school work is NOT going to happen. Now, I had the options of retaking the classes  next year or doing summer school. Now, summer school for math would not have done me a damn bit of good; I learn too slow, and summer school, packing a week's worth of work into five and a half hours, would have been WAAAAY out of my league. So, my mom being the person she is, heard a thing from a neighbor's daughter about this charter school that supposedly would tutor you and stuff and SOMEHOW re-earn the credits you lost like normal summer school without being so drastic. So, my mom went up to the high school, fought with a lack of people to get a hold of, and finally got my transcripts sent to the charter school. Summer comes around, and I'm third on a waiting list. So finally, end of June, I get in and my mom takes me up there to talk to the folks up there. Now, though my parents don't realize it as I was the only one who seemed to be paying the slightest bit of effing attention, this "tutoring programme" is pretty much just regular summer school, except you do 5-6 hour's worth packets over the internet each day in stead of in a classroom, and head up to this charter school/tutoring center/what-have-you two days a week, for an hour a day, for tutoring. Supposedly, you can call or go up there for help, but with my ****ty understanding, I'd be either on the phone with them or there the entire freaking time, and I'm NOT spending 5-6 hours a day either on the phone or at the freaking charter school, I might as well have done normal summer school at that rate. Not only that, but my router is an utter piece of junk and gives me an unreliable internet connection AT BEST; if this thing decides to not work for 2-3 days (WHICH IT HAS DONE) I'd be essentially 2-3 WEEKS behind the curve. Never mind that when you go up there for tutoring (or any time you go up there for help, for that matter!) you have to print out this monstrous packet. Never mind that we have some set-in-stone plans like going up to Mammoth for a few days at the beginning of August, which puts me in a further compromised position with this.
As if this was not an awkward and altogether messy situation to be in, my parent's further frustrate it! My stepdad, being the doushebag he is, wouldn't mind seeing me suffer through this without gleaming anything from it, just to see me forced to sit there for 5-6 hours a day bored off my ass during the summer. My mom, on the other hand, is having this butthurt "well after all the work I went though to get you in there, what are you going to tell them, '**** you'?" (pardon the f word, I'm quoting here here) attitude and is essentially more concerned with the effort she put in than weather or not this is a bloody waste of time and effort, and furthermore get's equally butthurt whenever I point out the holes in this here mess of a plan (such as the aforementioned bit with Mammoth: "Well, you'll just have to miss a day, then!", to which I replied that missing a day was the equivalent of missing a week, which in turn caused her to yell at me for being so negative about the whole thing (I was unaware being realistic was being negative ???)) My real dad doesn't really know enough to make an accurate division at this point but thus far is taking their side, which is pretty much push the problems with this stupid idea under the rug and hope for the best, at this point.
The part that burns my ass is that this is really no different that normal summer school, which we ALL agreed would have been a waste of time! It's like having lethal poison in a pill or a hypodermic syringe and everyone demanding that you take the pill because supposedly poison stops being lethal when you take it in pill form. (Alright, perhaps that's a bit drastic a comparison, this is by no means lethal, but still, the analogy stands.)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 03, 2012, 10:09:57 pm »
What an astounding wall of text!  I'll get back to you on the morning when hopefully I don't go crosseyed just looking at that post.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:03 pm »
What kind of math is it that you're having a problem with, if I may ask?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:30 pm »
Shamefully, Algebra 1.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 03, 2012, 11:24:27 pm »
Specifically, then?
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1762 on: July 04, 2012, 05:49:56 am »
Never could grasp Algebra I or Algebra II.

Worst part was that the school didn't really care that much and passed me anyway, despite asking them for help. Still don't know math good.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 04, 2012, 05:58:19 am »
Ovi should give classes :P

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 04, 2012, 07:03:02 am »
Specifically, then?
Nothing specifically. The whole bloody thing is an unintelligible mess to me. Not that I'll likely need it in the real world, but the "powers that be" decided everyone- nope, not even gonna go there.
Math is majorly my weak point. Science? Pfff. English? What a joke. But math? Kill me now, please.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 04, 2012, 07:22:54 am »
A really, really, really good internet friend (who talked me through suicidal thoughts) of mine nearly died yesterday.

:-\
the real saviour of this forum

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 04, 2012, 10:37:55 am »
Well, at least it was nearly. I hope he/she pulls through ok. What happened?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:25 am »
I don't know exactly, I think she was too sick to drink anything and eventually collapsed. She's had some really bad stuff going on for a while, including a chest infection. She could have died yesterday if it weren't for the ambulance showing up, and she's basically stuffed with drugs right now.

She's fine right now, but she's being given morphine and she hates it. We're all trying to think of get-better presents.

Also thanks.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #1768 on: July 04, 2012, 12:39:49 pm »
Maybe you need to be medicated.

With delicious, delicious medication.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 04, 2012, 03:14:07 pm »
OK, so... it's come to this.
Recently, I've had less and less contact with the person who introduced me to this site in the first place.

It's best I don't say too much more about him, but I'm worried, because his family's fallen on the same hard times my father has been going through for two and a half years- i.e. unemployment. I'm living off my grandmother's Social Security- I don't want any of my friends to have to live on that little either. I mean, we're making things work, but still...

...oh, and I have a friend who contracted Lyme Disease when we were both in seventh grade. I'm going to be a senior this fall, and he still hasn't recovered.

And finally... why do I get all the good luck!? My friends have done everything to deserve free food, a low workload, and copious amounts of free time, but I've never done anything worthy of any of that. I mean, sure, I'm living off just over $1000 a month, but besides that, I'm in the lap of luxury! My problems are nothing compared to those of everyone around me, and that, to me, proves that this universe is not just.

It should be the other way around.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?