Author Topic: Personal Problem Discussion Thread  (Read 235116 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Problem Discussion Thread
« Reply #2235 on: March 19, 2017, 05:15:41 am »
What happened to Taoism?

Just go with it. Whatever.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:54:12 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2236 on: March 19, 2017, 05:20:15 am »
Not even video games interest me as much these days because I can tell how much of a useless, frustrating distraction they are.

Frankly though rather than continue being a good little worker (and I am good TBH, these people tell me how good I am and everyone wants me on their shift, this is not an embellishment) and get the fleeting joy of being a big fish in a small pond, accomplishing nothing, and retiring at 65 like my dad or whatever, I'd rather drop it and spend all my money.

And then wander off and die somewhere having had my fun. And I mean that.
Because living a joyless existence like that is not living.

tl;dr my anxiety and depression may be getting worse and I may very well be becoming a suicide risk due to feeling unfulfilled and trapped

This is the exact post that I always feel too vulnerable to actually go through with making myself. Good on you.

Just, protip from personal experience here: If a medical professional asks you about contemplating suicide, lie your damn ass off.

When I lost the ability to enjoy most games (anhedonia - depression's calling card) it totally sealed off one of my precious few anxiety vents.

Now all I play are turn-based or pausable RTS, and it's generally just to keep my mind busy on account of it base-jumping into dark thoughts after 3 minutes without constant stimulation.

Here are movies and shows I've filled my time with in only the last two weeks.

The real kicker? I spend as much time, if not more, on netflix and youtube.

Here's a comment from a front page reddit thread that hit home pretty hard. The main topic was the risk of addiction from opiates, for context.

brb, putting the pharmacological equivalent of a bandaid on my brain.  :(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:41:45 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 19, 2017, 05:55:03 am »
Yay everyone wants to die

Well don't. Let's be miserable together.

Didn't even quite catch that passage from Gauph's post the first time I read it.

Also Taoism is total bollocks just like any other religion. But yeah I dunno. Maybe I'll pretend to be a monk or something. That might just do the trick.

Ahh well. I asked one guy to be my Facebook friend again. I dunno. We once taught IT together. He's important to me. He accepted. I am happy.

Yeah... Last Christmas I was really bothering him with all my stupid problems. He was very nice always. I was almost sure he would be fed up with my **** by now...

It's not nice to feel completely isolated... Even if no one else would be my friend, as long as he is, I'm happy.

But yeah, anyway, I totally get the feeling of not even getting satisfaction from video games. The last couple of days I decided I deserved a break, so I filled my time with watching anime. It's just... Well it's pointless. Yeah it's a way to spend the time but most of that **** is just... so predictable. And also video games. I don't even give a damn about playing pokemon.

So many things used to interest me and now I'm just why... how... But yeah I dunno. I'll become a monk or something. Then I can just sit around staring into space and feeling profound.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 19, 2017, 05:57:16 am »
What exists to treat mental pain?

Antidepressants, physical exercise and meditation.

Basically the only three things that are consistently proven to have a lasting effect on people's long-term mood and mental wellbeing. Everything else is a temporary fix before the brain adapts and stops responding to the stimulus. The latter two are also basically available to everyone as well.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 19, 2017, 06:25:39 am »
Actually, the top comment response was "Benzodiazepines."

Which I think is a perfectly apt comparison.

Painkillers just numb the problem with pain neurology.
Benzos are, essentially, numbing your mind in the same way.

They inhibit nightmares and suspend my fear-paralysis reflex.*

Quote from: The biology of fear- and anxiety-related behaviorsviors
*Active coping strategies are used when escape from threat is possible, and the autonomic changes associated with these active strategies are mediated predominantly by sympathetic activation (hypertension, tachycardia). This is the fight-or-flight response originally described by Cannon.17 Passive coping strategies, such as immobilization or freezing, are usually elicited when threat is inescapable, and are usually characterized by autonomic inhibition (hypotension, bradychardia), and a more pronounced increase in the neuroendocrine response

Source

For example, I needed to make a stressful call the other day. I got as far as dialing in the number, but couldn't bring myself to hit 'call.'
I don't mean that I could put it off, because I couldn't, but rather I could not physically get my finger to push that button.
It's like trying to swim to something against a strong current, and makes you feel like you should go wallow in the nearest corner.

PS/FWIW: Exercise, nutritious diet, and meditation really are the best treatment. Antidepressants (not medical advice) are only things I've tried out of desperation. They are not fun... they take a month of consumption to determine whether you should have even been taking them to begin with. Psychiatric medications are not scalpels or guided missiles. They don't just do the one chemical thing you want. They're messy as hell and interfere with a variety of neurological processes totally unrelated to the treatment target.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:50:18 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 19, 2017, 07:13:59 am »
Yeaah... exercise.

I went to the gym today. Walked on the threadmill for 10 minutes and lifted a couple of weights. Hard to find motivation for even that.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 19, 2017, 07:23:01 am »
Don't worry, once you've got a good exercise routine, your mood will improve enough to start exercising!

Er...wait...

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 19, 2017, 07:39:40 am »
Haha.

Well I already had a routine of sorts. Lately it's just melting away, though. So yeah... for me it's easier to start than to keep it up!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 19, 2017, 08:58:46 am »
For me it was finding a physical activity that I don't find a chore (dance). That way if I'm feeling depressed going dancing just gets downgraded to a "neutral" activity so I can still easily make myself stick to the routine. Then going and moving a bit and being with people makes me feel better.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:44 am »
I clean the house or go for podcasting walks, but the latter is happening with decreasing frequency since winter here is like two weeks in February.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2245 on: March 19, 2017, 12:10:10 pm »
One of the reasons I like working physical jobs is because it makes me hella tired by the end. Working at a movie theater only on rush nights is a great way to make my weekends better because I'm going to bed physically tired, rather than just my usual mental exhaustion.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 19, 2017, 12:21:15 pm »
Man I really want some Molly and blow now
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2247 on: March 19, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »
Ew no, those are faggot drugs lol.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: March 19, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »
Man MDMA has some debatable benefits at low risk but I've never understood why people would do coke.

Expensive - Check
Kills you - Check
Act like an *******- Check
Funds the Cartels - Check

But Wolf of Wall Street right?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2249 on: March 19, 2017, 12:24:38 pm »
What we need is a COOL DOCTOR that will give us proper doses of LSD to fix all of our issues. :3