Author Topic: Personal Problem Discussion Thread  (Read 157323 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Problem Discussion Thread
« Reply #1710 on: April 29, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »
The fact that a little mistake in the first third of an almost-necessarily 45 minute long round is irredeemable should make it pretty clear that LoL is a terrible game.

And you should feel bad if you play it.

Offline eropS

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • Dat klopt, ik was daar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »
Except it's totally not irredeemable and the game is very much comeback friendly if you know what youre doing and have a team that can play and last till late game.

Sounds to me like umad bro.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gungnir

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 29, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »
It won't ruin the game completely, but that little mistake will be what your teammates blame because when playing online, everyone is always worse than you and they must know it.

Find someone who knows the game and is willing to teach you. DotA/LoL becomes much better.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 29, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »
Except it's totally not irredeemable and the game is very much comeback friendly if you know what youre doing and have a team that can play and last till late game.

You don't know the online gaming very well, do you?
You're in my way, sir.

Dude, you're dreaming that you're a pony.  I don't care how good the show is.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »
So the game doesn't suck if <very specific conditions>?

Got it.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:24 pm »
No, it only sucks if you haven't played it three hours every day for a few months.
You're in my way, sir.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 29, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »
The only people who I know that play it would play it obsessively and not pay attention to anything else for entire days.

You could speak to them from a few feet away and they wouldn't even realize you were talking. They wouldn't notice a phone ringing on their desk.

So I guess the game might not suck if you have that sort of propensity for "**** everything that isn't this game."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:15:58 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:40 pm »
How can you be busy trying not to make small mistakes that mess up entire 40 minute long games if you answer phones?

So I guess the game might not suck if you have that sort of propensity for "**** everything that isn't this game."

Yes that is what I just said, yup.
You're in my way, sir.

Offline eropS

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • Dat klopt, ik was daar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 29, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »

You don't know the online gaming very well, do you?

I know it very well, I have played LoL for the past two years and have a significant amount of games played.

Brandon sounds like he had a bad experience and is now judging the entire game and its playerbase off of it. How were my directions specific? Don't throw the game, and don't be bad. How is that different then any other competitive game? Just because you made one mistake doesn't mean their team won't, either. Besides, if you honestly think 300g will end the game, you clearly don't understand how the game works. There are 9 other people playing. And if the other team DOESN'T make a mistake, or your team fails to capitalize on an error, then your team was clearly outplayed, move on.

The game doesn't suck if you have fun playing it, win or lose. You two sound like butthurt children the way you're going on about how you must have no life to enjoy the game or get good. I play maybe 10 or so games a week and do fine; it's a fun game to keep up with when you're into it, and if not, then lay off.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:36:47 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Dune II Spice Harvester
  • Big style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:53 am »
LoL sucks erops
I'll kiss anything that moves.

Online Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:11 am »
don't be bad.

I think most people's chief argument is that it is very difficult NOT to be bad. Hence, the game has an unfairly steep learning curve, which sucks.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kaizer

• Arkanoid Vaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:46 am »
its actually a shallow learning curve sam  ::)

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:30 am »
The problem is that against bots, the beginner bots seem awfully frail. Being AI, they lack the natural adaption of human players, and in moments of lacking threat analysis or sometimes outright stupidity, they can be easy targets that don't teach a whole lot. The flip side is the intermediate bots, which I could swear are given a subtle artificial advantage in gold gains and health, complete with "cheating computer" reactions and impossible situational awareness and team coordination to offset the usual AI holes. They can range from impossibly difficult steamroller games from mildly challenging.

PvP is where the glaring problems really rise up, though. The game can be played instinctively and adaptively, but you really have to get the right feel for it. More often than not, a 'good' player has done some degree of study on optimum builds, and has memorised solid strategies. Familiarity with the characters is also a fairly big part of the game too, which can take some time. On top of this you have summoner levels, which despite everyone's insistence on it playing only a minor role, can really tip the balance. Being able to have an additional 3% lifesteal or 10% cooldown reduction doesn't sound like much, but it gives you that little edge in the early game, and just sits on top of all your other stat gains towards the end. Then you have the typical PvP playerbase, where everything is everyone else's fault, teammates may randomly decide to idle for 10 minutes in a match or decide they don't want the lane they called, and join yours without saying a word just as the enemy pushes a turret.

LoL is a bit like L4D. It has great potential to be fun and intense, but the disparity between people who play it for fun, and people who play it to win at all costs (including sacrificing fun) is pretty huge. If you play with plenty of friends, the experience gets substantially better, but in the event of a lopsided match, it is easy to end up impossibly frustrated and feeling the long stretch of game-time was just an exercise in futility. My suggestion is to stick to bots. Beginner until you learn the ebb and flow of when to push and when to focus on self-preservation, and then intermediate when you want to step it up. Or alternatively, like L4D VS, you can get sick of the random uphill battle to achieve some fun, and storm off to play something more accessible.

Offline Kaizer

• Arkanoid Vaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:01 am »
play dota 2

pick bane

STUN LOCK PEOPLE FOR 20 SECONDS

win game

now go be the best support caster in the game

but in all honesty I feel dota 2 is a way better starting point because of how well defined the roles of the heroes are, if your not very good at the game your much better off taking a caster that isnt item dependent

a huge boon to any team are heroes like earthshaker, bane, shadow shaman, witch doctor. these heroes arent crazy good but they dont need items to be strong, their spells are insane for helping your team. Practice playing heroes like witch doctor or shadow shaman (i trained on them when i first started) and always take a carry partner and just follow their lead, you dont need kills just keep him alive.

oh and listen to this while playing, it motivates you
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN-gNfdaY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN-gNfdaY</a>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:34:01 am by Kaizer »

Offline Yuu

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #1724 on: May 01, 2012, 04:28:14 pm »
Speaking of DotA, this might also help...