Author Topic: Transformers: Animated  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Transformers: Animated
« on: April 19, 2008, 07:06:54 am »
Season one has come and gone, so I feel obligated to make a thread for the first good Transformers show since Beast Wars.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first:  The art style is completely different from every other Transformers series out there.  You can tell what they transform into from the color scheme and relative size, but the shape of their actual bodies is far more organic than in the other series.  Honestly, I don't think it makes too much of a difference and it seems to fit.

Nice things about the show:

More character focus:  Let's face it, most of these series have had a basic "Autobot good, Decepticon bad" approach, where all Autobots have the same basic personality except when the writers remember that one is supposed to a hot head, and the only relationship they flesh out is the one between Megatron and Starscream.  This is where Beast Wars broke the mold and where Animated is doing the same.  The characters each have their own personality and backstory that they stick to.

Decepticons are a threat:  Instead of every episode being a standoff between Autobots and Decepticons where the Decpticons always lose except when it's a two parter, the Decepticons make only a few direct confrontations a season and spend the rest of the season plotting in the background.  When they do show up it's always a major threat, with even one being a danger to the whole team and more proving to be a huge challenge.

Things I'm not so sure about:

Filler:  Without the Decepticons attacking every episode the season has a bunch of filler villains to mix things up.  Some, like the Dinobots or stray Decepticons who don't stick with the main group, are actually good episodes.  Others, like the Headmaster and "space barnacles" are low points in the series.  Overall it seems to balance out, but I'd like to see better thought out filler in the future.

The Chosen Child:  A little girl currently controls one of the most powerful artifacts in the universe.  She frequently missuses it.  The Autobots don't take it away from her even though it frequently causes extraordinary trouble.  I'm hoping that this was just a theme of the first season, as they seem to have a big secret about her past and the apparent loss of her father seems to have grown her up a little, but it's hard to say.

Things I like but other might not:

Evil talking head:  Megatron spends most of the first season without a body with his head stuck in a lab.  From there he manipulates the worlds leading robotics engineer, without the guy realizing he's being used for evil until the end of the season.  I don't know why, but I love the idea of it.

Has anyone else been watching this?  What do think?

Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Neoskel

• Omega Racer
  • Wait, shouldn't there be 2 per larva?
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: Animated
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:26:56 pm »
I have been watching it, and i must say i like it.  :D

I love how the characters have actual personalities and how the Decepticons are so much more powerful than the Autobots. I also like how they throw as many bones to the Gewunners as they can each episode  ;D.

And i dig forcing Megatron to plot and scheme instead of smashing things, it shows his devious side much better and climaxes up to the point where he comes back and you dread it. Awesome.

I also dig how the Autobots aren't really battle equipped and have to improvise their way through combat.

It's always a happy experience when they make a show and they're focus isn't just To Sell Toys but to have a good story too. I was sad that they canceled the new MotU series awhile back when the toys didn't sell...

And to clarify, i'm too young to know those old shows personally. I grew up on Beast Wars and Gargoyles etc, (I miss the 90s!  :'() but i appreciate homages to old shows and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:32:17 pm by Neoskel »

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:44:03 am »
Another huge bump (people are going to start hating me for this)

Season 1 has left off on a cliffhanger and the writers are currently aiming for season 2 with another 13 episodes.

I have to say the series is spectacular! Yeah it has it's faults as in the audience it's aiming for but overall they directors did a damn good job!
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇´)人(´∇`)人(`∇´)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:24:23 am »
Over here the second season just wrapped up last week.  In my opinion it's better than the first, due to less filler, or if there is filler it's connected enough to the central plot that I don't mind.  Hell, they made Headmaster interesting.  They even managed to avoid the pitfall of making it about collecting All-Spark fragments.

And Sari is no longer annoying.  In the entire season I think she used the key selfishly just once, and even then it wasn't actually harmful.  And now she's useful for something other than repairing the Autobots after a fight.

The only problem I can spot, and I had to look for it, is the filler episodes again.  This time it's not that they're bad, it's that they're good.  They introduce fantastic characters, and I'm actually sorry to see them go at the end of the episode.  But, since most of them seem to indicate that they're still alive at the end, I'm hoping that some will come back in season three.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.