Author Topic: Ben 10: Alien Force  (Read 22884 times)

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
Re: Ben 10: Alien Force
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 05:45:59 pm »
Here's my two cents:

I watched a bit of the first series. It lacked depth, imo. It also reminded me a bit of digimon mixed with MIB :-X.

This new series seems to be an improvement; the characters actually change and grow a bit throughout the series (so far), and they don't "reset" at the end of each episode (Unlike SG:Atlantis, which does so frequently).

One thing that I find amusing though, is that I initially reacted to it like I reacted to the Eragon movie; "this seems very familiar".

Basically, it seems like it was the product of one of those groups that determines what teens are watching, and tries to combine the successful elements to create something new.

So far, I've seen elements of MIB, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and so on. For example, they've adopted the hero archetypes used in SW and HP:

1. Main Hero. The story focuses on this guy. Tries to do the right thing (Ben, Luke, Harry).

2. Female Hero. Friend to the Main hero. Independent, sure of herself, and often diplomatic. Claims to dislike or even despise archetype 3, but "doth protest too much", resulting in tension between them (Gwen, Leia, Hermione).

3. Secondary male hero. Has a different set of standards and/or morals than the other two archetypes. Likes to put on an air of insensitivity, but has a hidden softer side as well. (Kevin, Han, Ron).

Its basically the Hero's Journey archetype set up used by many tv programs (Avatar uses this some of this as well), movies and stories.

Oh, and BTW; cartoonnetwork.com has recent episodes.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 05:55:43 pm »
I've been a Ben 10 fan for a while, though I hate to admit it. It serves as a foil for the hard-core sci-fi that I usually take in.

This fan status was just about the only thing that kept me watching the new show. Why? The main villans so far are called the DNAliens. Oh... my... God... You think they'd come up with something better than that! The Monoctulans! There! Hints at their one eye AND their slimyness!

Though I have to give them props on the term "highbreed". Sounds cool...

On the other hand again.... Do they have to keep shouting out the alien's name every time Ben transforms into it? What is this? Pokemon?

On the other other hand again.... the new aliens do look rather nice...

Except EchoEcho.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 06:44:21 pm »
This fan status was just about the only thing that kept me watching the new show. Why? The main villans so far are called the DNAliens. Oh... my... God... You think they'd come up with something better than that! The Monoctulans! There! Hints at their one eye AND their slimyness!

The show never did have a history of creative names. EX: Ben 10 is about a 10 yr old boy who's first name rhymes with ten, has "ten" in his last name, and can change into ten different aliens (something that got confusing when Ben could change into whatever aliens he encountered like animorphs. Hopefully they won't do that again). Oh, and by the way, Alien "X"? as in Alien "Roman numeral for 10"?

Monoctulans would have been a good name...plus, oct also hints at the octupus-like head tentacles.

On the other hand again.... Do they have to keep shouting out the alien's name every time Ben transforms into it? What is this? Pokemon?

Marketing technique. That way little kids know the name of the action figure their harassing their parents to buy for them.
Judging by the previous series however, they'll probably make the transformations less dramatic as the show progresses (so he'll just hit watch, green flash occurs, and he's the alien; no digivolve-like transformation sequence, and no "name calling").

Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 03:52:43 am »
I've been following it week for week.

The series finale is next.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 02:50:07 pm »
BTW; Doctor Who fans, watch episode 10.

They apparently tried to imitate a Doctor Who episode (at least partially).

EDIT: For those wishing to watch missed episodes, I just found an official site that has all of them for download.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:48:13 pm by Logan Felipe »
Fanfic!

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 06:23:14 pm »
This show does not have Ben 10's original charisma. It just doesn't work. Aliens suck too.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 07:10:14 pm »
He's less charismatic because he's supposed to be more mature.

Sidenote...
Kevin: "Your brother's name is Ken? Ken and Gwen Tennyson? What are your folks' names: Jen and Sven? I'm talking to you, Ben."
Ben: "Ha ha. Our names rhyme, and you noticed."

Writers, admitting that you have lousy name generation skills doesn't make it ok. :P

Besides, Ben could have easily retorted with a crack at Kevin's rhyming name. Kevin Levin? Let me guess; in the original series, he was 11 (making him 16 in the new one?).  ::)

Also, is Gwen voiced by the same voiceover that did Phil and Lil? 'Cause it sounds awfully familiar.

J.T. looks like arnold from the magic school bus - except older, and with brown hair.
Fanfic!

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »
Actually Gwen is voiced by Ashley Johnson.(She also did a great performance in Teen Titans :3)
And now realizing this Arnold does look like J.T.

O_O
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 09:28:12 pm »
I remember watching a few episodes of the original and this one...I cant say I was a fan since my cartoon love died around the same time rocko's modern life died

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
Actually Gwen is voiced by Ashley Johnson.(She also did a great performance in Teen Titans :3)
And now realizing this Arnold does look like J.T.

O_O

She was on Growing Pains (followed the link)?

I remember that show.
Fanfic!

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 11:17:40 pm »
I remember watching a few episodes of the original and this one...I cant say I was a fan since my cartoon love died around the same time rocko's modern life died

:'(

That was one of the last good ones...
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 11:54:08 pm »
Weird thing is around that time a lot of crap animations came out :-\
Rocko writers are still fighting to get the series on DVD.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 12:05:39 am »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:43 pm »
Sneak peak at the Clone Wars animated TV series will air saturday, august 31st, 10 am, during Ben 10: Alien Force alien X premier/ season finale.
Fanfic!

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 07:34:19 pm »
wasnt the animated star wars already aired....