Author Topic: Unique Forum...Stuff  (Read 20841 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Unique Forum...Stuff
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 08:39:56 am »
I've disappeared in the past because I've been busy and, quite frankly, changing/updating the site is extremely time-consuming/complex to do. I always wanted to update the site and modernize it, but it's extremely complex to move a site of this size to an updated system.

Also you guys might not realize it but running this site since it's inception has personally cost me more than $20k in hosting fees. Yeah the ads help a tiny bit, but what I make in the ads in one year is what I pay for a single month of hosting. So I came to a crossroads recently where I would either keep the site going on a newer, cheaper server or removing it completely.

I didn't want it to die so I am in the process of moving it to a newer, cheaper server and during this time I decided to update and change the site to a modern codebase (and lower the costs a bit, but it still isn't free to run this site). I hired some professorial developer friends of mine and we've managed to move the site over and I think it looks pretty good.

I will continue to update and change the site as much as I can, but doing something as "simple" as updating the layout costs me a couple hundred dollars in development fees as I can't do it all myself anymore (my programming skills are a bit rusty, I'm more of a manager at this point).

So everything you guys request I have to see if 1) I can do it myself, 2) how long it will take for me to do, 3) if I can't do it myself how much it will cost me to have it done. I am trying to add a new theme for you but I hit a wall and I'm waiting for my programmers to get back to me for now...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:56 am »
All your time and money is appreciated, really. This is a great place to hang out and chat. My hope is that after this we'll be seeing more of you! It's fun to talk with you and hear what you have to say. And more than a few of us are still holding out hope for another podcast, though just having you post is enough. We love Steve! And we miss him.

And if there's anything we can do to help, I know there are quite a few enterprising folks among us that would be happy to assist! :D

I know Didero had found something about a horizontal post separator in the forum code that made the site easier to navigate. He might be someone you want to have a chat with. But yeah, if you need anything from us, let us know. Just don't disappear again!! ;)

**EDIT**
Also has the timer for the "this post has been edited" text been reduced?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:47:50 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 11:24:34 am »
It's always good to have Steve around.

I would just like to say that for any that for any future changes or site downtime, it would be nice to let us know in advance.  I was a bit concerned when the site went down with no advance warning.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 01:31:12 pm »
Well we're having a really really strange server error right now, so I can't quite update the layout just yet. Basically the forum and the server are using different permissions -- which is a nightmare to fix.

For now I'm just going to finish the move (I have other files I need to move over), delete the other server, and then go back to this.

As for doing a show ... I'm not against doing another show. It's just gaming is so different now. It's hard to even do a show to talk about anything as things are so fragmented and segmented now there is no one topic I can really talk about in the world of gaming.

However ... I have just gotten directly involved with a new venture in which you might be hearing from me A LOT more ... a lot more. Like tons. Like "you are going to get sick of me" amounts. Like "there is another reason I'm getting the forum back up to speed"...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 01:43:13 pm »

IT BEGIIIIINS!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2013, 01:57:56 pm »
Hey Steve, if you're around more and posting about your projects you can bet that we'll have your back.

Can't wait to see what you've gotten yourself into! ;D

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 02:27:39 pm »
Think WOW or LoL ... only bigger.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2013, 02:29:01 pm »
Oh god, I hope not TESO D:

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 03:21:05 pm »
Well that's certainly a thing.  I guess we'll be waiting, then.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10:53 pm »
Elder Scrolls online?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 01:22:32 am »
Oh god, I hope not TESO D:

Anything but Transcription Error Scrolls Online!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:19 am »
That's a bit babyish. >_>

Forgive me if I've gotten used to... nothing. It's just a little odd and sudden to see all these changes without really knowing what your goal is. Why the push all of a sudden to change things and get stuff going? What do you intend to do? Is this going to lead to anything? It'd be nice if you didn't just up and vanish again. We like it when you're here. And it's disappointing every time you disappear.

Pat has a point. For a forum called Gaming Steve we sure don't see a lot of you Steve.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:57 am »
Well hey, at least he's here now.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 08:25:03 am »
It's kinda weird, actually.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 11:12:54 am »
I continue to be intrigued by these new and shocking developments.

And I am happy to see you back, Steve! It has been quite a while and I hope you are well.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master