Poll

Would you consider enhancing yourself through technological means?

I'd be first to sign up!
Sure, if it were safe.
I'd not be amongst the first, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
I'd prefer not to alter my mind and body, thanks.
Transhumanism is a terrible idea - it's unethical/not achievable/dehumanising.

Author Topic: Transhumanism  (Read 29444 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Transhumanism
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:04:35 am »
Ah, transhumanism. I don't know what inspired me to create this topic, but I thought it might be interesting to see what people thought. Wikipedia can probably explain it better than I can:

Transhumanism, a term often used as a synonym for "human enhancement", is an international, intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of new sciences and technologies to enhance human mental and physical abilities and aptitudes, and ameliorate what it regards as undesirable and unnecessary aspects of the human condition, such as stupidity, suffering, disease, aging and involuntary death.

While many transhumanist theorists and advocates seek to apply reason, science and technology for the purposes of reducing poverty, disease, disability, and malnutrition around the globe, transhumanism is distinctive in its particular focus on the applications of technologies to the improvement of human bodies at the individual level.

What are your thoughts on this sort of thing? Would you go for it, or not? What does it mean to be a transhumanist, or a transhuman? Is it ethical, is it desirable? What does this have to do with a potential technological singularity, the future of the species, and moral/religious philosophy?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:06:32 am by Daxx »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:06:25 am »
unless it messes me up.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:20:25 am »
Same as above. Also, I don't want to be the first. I'd let some time pass by so I don't get into a pinch when something goes terribly wrong.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:30 am »
I wouldn't mind other people doing it, but I don't think I'd get any. Not too keen on becoming a Cyborg. Having said that, if I lost a limb, I'd have no qualms with getting some robotic replacements.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:34:55 am »
I wouldnt be opposed to it as a whole, provided there is plentiful prior research and testing in anything they attempt. After all, I go by the old way of "If it hurts none, do as ye will". Butchered as my paraphrasing might have made it, heh.

I dont think I would indulge in it myself, but this is likely because I have trouble with change, and having a big thing about indecision. To change the very vessel you operate in, would be permenant. It wouldnt be laser-removable like a tattoo, or as swappable as a piercing. Though, with a few years of passive contemplation, I would probably consider certain things, too.

This is a very interesting subject, and I never really thought of it before.
Despite my lack of religion, I feel something for the 'purity' of the physical body, and in a spiritual way, I dont like the idea of virtual immortality. Though in an intellectual way, I would like to not die of age or succumb to accidents of biological imperfection... simply imagining what the future may hold, that I would not be here to witness, to partake in, and to assist with. Im well aware that purity and spirituality are also mental concepts too, which is why this is a very interesting subject indeed. I'll probably have to think some more on this.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:38:05 am »
transhumanism is good for you. Its healed a lot of war victims.

I so want a leg like the one out of that woman in planet terror.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:48:04 am »
*thinks about bioshock*

hmm...i wont be the first in line...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 10:59:18 am »
I am strongly opposed to this. I am very wary of this kind of thing because I feel that people who opt for such modifications could be unknowingly controlled or influenced by a third party. At no point do I want to run the risk of losing myself, I need to be in control of what I do at all times.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:19:27 am »
I am strongly opposed to this. I am very wary of this kind of thing because I feel that people who opt for such modifications could be unknowingly controlled or influenced by a third party. At no point do I want to run the risk of losing myself, I need to be in control of what I do at all times.

Good point pat, you made me change my mind, to bad I can't change my vote...  :-\
@davidramnero

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:20:37 am »
Heh, yeah. Its only a matter of time before you get pop-up advertisements in your dreams.  :)

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:45 am »
"Almost, have... The sword..."

*PLAY ADVENTURE QUEST! FREE GAME! SIGN UP NOW!*

"Oh dear god..."

;)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:26:10 am »
Wouldn't that only happen if you have your brain technologically augmented? If you'd only get, say, a bionic leg, there's very little to no way for anybody to take over control of your leg, since it's a closed circuit.

I'm wondering though, how would a bionic leg be powered? Would you need to carry a battery pack around with you? And what would happen if the battery ran out in the middle of the day? Would you just collapse to the floor?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 11:28:33 am »
I am assuming that these kinds of augmentations (Legs, arms, et cetera) have to be tied to your brain somehow. That is where all of the shady mind control comes into play...

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 11:36:16 am »
I would do it the instant I knew that my state of mind would remain the same.

Online martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 11:40:13 am »
Definetly, and as soon as the technology is there for my to upload my mind into a computer, I'm there.  Immortality here I come.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net