Poll

Would you consider enhancing yourself through technological means?

I'd be first to sign up!
Sure, if it were safe.
I'd not be amongst the first, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
I'd prefer not to alter my mind and body, thanks.
Transhumanism is a terrible idea - it's unethical/not achievable/dehumanising.

Author Topic: Transhumanism  (Read 29217 times)

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 03:30:01 pm »
I would certainly "upgrade" myself in an instant. However this would only happen if I knew I could a)still be in control of myself and b)There are no bad side affects.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline microgta

• Gorf Goon
  • OH NOES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 03:33:32 pm »
Oh yea id totally do it. Id be like the next superdude.
"gameplayer.com will fail" says Petike.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »
*thinks about bioshock*

hmm...i wont be the first in line...

*Thinks about Bioshock*

I want to be the first in line. Any form of enhancement, sign me up!
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 06:10:06 pm »
I wouldn't do it unless it had to do with regrowing myself or fixing myself. Living with two arms is better than living with one, ya know. :P

But as far as enhancing myself goes, I don't think so. No problem with anybody else doing it, I mean it's THEIR decision, and it's not like it would do anything wrong (unless they started crushing things with their GIANT CRAB CLAWS OF DOOM).

So yah. Everyone else, feel free! I'll just be the dork that doesn't do it, and sits at the back of the bus breathing through my mouth, instead of my canine-like snout. :P

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 06:35:31 pm »
But you'd get the same issue as in Spore.  I would feel odd to say the least if gangsters and shady people all looked like penises.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 09:23:11 pm »
The only problem I see with this is the inevitable rise of supervillains and superheroes. The superheroes might be able to handle the villains, but avoiding collateral damage is another issue they'd have to deal with. :P

Real-life Superpower RP, anyone? ;)

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
I found this pic while looking up "Transhuman" on Photobucket.

Now that is disturbing. If that's what being "Transhuman" eventually leads to, count me out!
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 10:22:59 pm »
No, that isn't what Transhumanism is about.  That's an artist's idea of a human-animal hybrid of some sort, a step in the opposite direction.

For me, I guess it depends on what you mean by Transhumanism.  If you mean upgrading body parts, then sure, we do that already.  If you mean changing the genetics or behavior of humanity, or copying your brain onto a computer, count me out.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline El_Buro

• Revenging Yar
  • Crusher of spines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 10:59:12 pm »
Although most of you probably already know about this, Dresden Codak (http://dresdencodak.com/index.html) is an excellent webcomic focused very much around this concept.

I would only augment myself with things if I knew how they worked, how to fix them, and if they weren't especially dangerous. I very much like the idea of mechanically or biologically enhanced limbs, nanobots and so forth. If these things are ever invented in my lifetime, I will most certainly be using them, given I can afford it. :P

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2008, 03:29:59 am »
Might get a few things if they are affordable. get some decent vision I'm probably bordering on needing glasses as it is so why not fix that to beyond 20/20 be and get some super vision. Other than that mostly just replacing parts that start to fail on me. Oh and an arm mounted plasma cannon that that just goes with out saying.

Offline Orly

• Mystery House Madman
  • Read This Post, its probably annoying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2008, 06:56:29 am »
Arg, its a plan by the robots to make us one of them! Borg!

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2008, 08:42:22 am »
As soon as the technologies in an operational stage then it'll probably become necessary in some areas. Think about it, would you rather have a regular surgeon or one who's hands have  been enhanced so that they no longer have the slightest tremor and have several times the dexterity of a normal human surgeons.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2008, 09:24:52 am »
So, I was just watching "The Universe" and they say that in 20 years a computer to where you could upload your entire brain will cost $1000 and in 30 years it will cost $1, consider now that cloning humans becomes legal and that uploading a human brain will be just as easy as downloading it, this gives a whole new meaning to immortality, in fact we might not even need to clone ourselves and upload our old memories to the new brain, a human brain inside a machine would experience a whole different realm, we might even be able to adapt our brains to work with that technology so that in time our mind will still be ours but we'll be mostly machine (or entirely).

*signs up*
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:09 am »
I'd be the first to sign up, and I think humans are inevitably destined to become something 'inhuman' simply to survive and progress.

The parts of us which are considered the most 'human' are also the ones which inevitably cause suffering and inequality.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2008, 10:15:42 am »
well if we want to get off this rock we need some kinda of genetic manipulation because we need to adapt to space and the difrent planets and evelution is not known for its speed

oh and everyone will look beautiful >.>

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.