Poll

Would you consider enhancing yourself through technological means?

I'd be first to sign up!
Sure, if it were safe.
I'd not be amongst the first, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
I'd prefer not to alter my mind and body, thanks.
Transhumanism is a terrible idea - it's unethical/not achievable/dehumanising.

Author Topic: Transhumanism  (Read 29272 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Transhumanism
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 11:41:51 am »
I would prefer that my body operates directly from my natural brain.

We don't know enough of consciousness to risk that jump, so I'd just make a copy.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:12 pm »
I am assuming that these kinds of augmentations (Legs, arms, et cetera) have to be tied to your brain somehow. That is where all of the shady mind control comes into play...
Couldn't the augmentations be tied to the nerve endings that don't connect to anything anymore? I think that's one-way traffic from the brain to the extremity, so there won't be any mind control possible. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edit: Like the woman in this article. The bionic arm is connected to the nerve endings, so there's one way traffic from the brain to the arm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:08:27 pm by Didero »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:51 pm »
yknow it doesnt have to be all mechanic and stuff...it could be just genetic and stuff...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:13:19 pm »
personally, i don't like mix up my bodyparts with metal..

it doesn't go well with my unrational fear of magnets

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »
Sure, I'd go for some of that if it was totally safe.
Nothing that would alter the mind though; that's what I am, so it'd need to stay the same.
Just some body stuff I guess. Better heart, kidneys, bones, joints, and whatever. Like upgrading!

I'd be more concerned as to how this material is powered though. I don't want to stop by the store every day to stock up on batteries, and I don't wanna do that whole... Borg-ish recharging station thing.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »
Definetly, and as soon as the technology is there for my to upload my mind into a computer, I'm there.  Immortality here I come.

Still, nothing last forever and eventually the computer holding your digital brain will shutdown martyk ::).
More decay and blah blah blah, but honestly I would really change myself (mind or body parts) for the benefit of staying alive a little longer. One such example is if I am dying of a disease or a body part needs to be replaced for me to live my life normally.

Why live forever, all the things in your infinite life time would be worthless compared to someone who has lived a full life. Mortality is living your life to the fullest, or so most of us have been told.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇´)人(´∇`)人(`∇´)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 01:17:13 pm »
Personally I think that if you uploaded your brain onto a computer, it would just be a copy, not YOUR consciousness. It would think it was you, but you wouldn't experience whatever the robotic mind did. You know?

So I'd just have my brain stored in a tank and connected TO a supercomputer. Much better!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 01:23:08 pm »
The only problem with uploading your brain onto a computer is this nasty bit of irony;your brain IS a computer.Your brain is the most powerful computer there is.The other problem with becoming one with a computer is that lose your humanity and become well..a cybermen.As for upgrading/modifying your body I'd say this;what would be the point? God/evolution never intended us to upgrade ourselves in such a way.We are perfect the way we are.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:26:06 pm by Elephant »

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »
The only problem with uploading your brain onto a computer is this nasty bit of irony;your brain IS a computer.Your brain is the most powerful computer there is.

Most powerful computer there is now; what about in 5, 10 or fifteen years?

.As for upgrading/modifying your body I'd say this;what would be the point? God/evolution never intended us to upgrade ourselves in such a way.We are perfect the way we are.

Thats a matter of opinion. Perfection is a matter of perspective; and whose to say we weren't 'destined' to 'improve ourselves'?

EDIT: Omitting words at random.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:48:03 pm by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 01:32:08 pm »
Most powerful computer there is now; what about in 5, 10 or fifteen years?
Our brains will still be the most powerful computer there is,nothing we make could even rival it in anyway.
Thats a matter of opinion. Perfection is a matter of perspective; and whose we weren't 'destined' to 'improve ourselves'
A good point,one could Say evolutions is a form of upgrading,because we are adapting ourselves to the environment around us,half the reason why we are such a successful species.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 02:14:28 pm »
.We are perfect the way we are.

Ever heard of such popular items as disease, starvation, suffocation, and death?

Cures available at your local mechanics now!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »
Why is there so much... RELIGION lately?! Did the pope kick-it or something?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 02:36:26 pm »
I am strongly opposed to this. I am very wary of this kind of thing because I feel that people who opt for such modifications could be unknowingly controlled or influenced by a third party. At no point do I want to run the risk of losing myself, I need to be in control of what I do at all times.

Good point pat, you made me change my mind, to bad I can't change my vote...  :-\

Actually, you can. I specifically enabled that option.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 03:09:20 pm »
Following my vote i would definitely be one of the first in line. In my opinion, a biological body is too prone to destruction. There are many things that a mechanical body could do better (and very few it would do worse).

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 03:16:46 pm »
Well, I wouldn't upload, but I wouldn't stick with a biological brain.  I'd start off with the basic upgrades needed to keep this body going, heart, kidney, liver, the ones prone to failure.  Eventually I'd begin phasing out limbs and augmenting my brain, eventually leaving me with just a brain in a robot body.  Then I'd begin using heavier brain augmentations until most of my consciousness is running on hardware, at which point I'd begin phasing out the biological brain.

Why all the trouble instead of just uploading?  I'm a bit worried about continuity of conciousness.  I'd hate to upload only to have the biological me die then and there while mechanical me goes on.  Sure, from the outside it would be exactly the same, but I'm doing this to improve myself and dying doesn't figure into that.

Anyway, in a few thousand years I'd probably attach my mind to a star ship (whether or not we had FTL), load it up with nanites, find an isolated corner of the galaxy, terraform a few planets, and see what happens.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.