Author Topic: [NG] Rules  (Read 26356 times)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
[NG] Rules
« on: April 06, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »
Now, that I have your attention let me explain you my idea, but before I do this, I should explain the reasons, why I'm coming up with such a "crazy" idea.

As you might have noticed, the golden years of the CC seem to be over. Not many people are posting anymore and only the half of those who used to visit this corner don't even bother to go here anymore. The reason for this decline might be, that the CC was "too open"; every bored soul in the internet could make a creature and could actually mess around with the timeline and thus the entire "history" of our galaxy. If someone tried to make up a detailed and thought-out description for their creatures, and finally wanted to RP with someone, then someone else came and either started a war with everyone, ate half of the sentient beings in the galaxy or created totally ridiculous creatures which would be even considered as risible in a fantasy setting. Furthermore some people seemed to try to turn it into a zoo on earth rather than creating alien species. This, of course, scared many people off, mainly the ones who raised the "quality" of the RP and description threads. Furthermore since there were probably more creatures than members on this forum many got tired of reading posts about creatures, which won't be updated after the 3rd post. Even if it sounds very mean, it's my opinion, and some people I talked to agree with me, so my opinion can't be that wrong. So I thought about some kind of "restart", well not really a restart like restarting the whole CC, but rather creating a new little galaxy where those, who are really interested in story telling and not just raising their post count, can RP and create new species there instead of the giant mess which remains.
My idea however might not be liked by some of the members, though I don't try to make everyone happy, "just" those, who want a "restart". Also the original CC will remain for those who don't like rules or feel limited in their creativity. Furthermore, to make things work, there would be new rules for this new galaxy.
These would be:

1. No already known aliens: Aliens from the old galaxy neither can travel to this one, nor can aliens, who were invented elsewhere. All aliens must be created for this galaxy. Obviously, this includes humans. Aliens, which did not RP so far or had other connections to the CC, but were created for it are invalid too.

2. No connections to already known content: No "remains" of Nauceans or other species from the CC and other sources. This galaxy is a closed system. No earth, no devices from CC species, etc.

3. Only plausible content: (This one could be renamed into "Only creative content", but it would scare many people off and isn't quite the same.) What I mean here is, that there should be no ridiculous creatures. This includes humanoid and not-humanoid-but-sapient ~insert any animals from earth here~. Even if they're "changed a little". So, no green lions and bipedal weasels. If someone can't even think of a plausible alien, how high are the chances, that the history and RPing is plausible? To make sure this works, people will have to meet the standards, before they can join. (If you're going to take breath to rant about this, read the next rule!)

4. This is NOT the CC 2.0: If someone makes a species which doesn't meet the 'standards', then we're not trying to be mean or whatsoever. This is its very own system with its very own rules. If you need an open-for-all playground, then remain in the CC. This however is like a "game" and as every game, this has rules, which shouldn't be broken.

5. Only one species per user: One thing I noticed is, that many people made multiple creatures and cared about one at the same time, if at all. This rule prevents the galaxy from being flooded with lots of abandoned races. This means: If you're making a race, do it carefully. However later, there might be an addition to this rule to allow "getting rid" of a species to make a new one.
  • 5a. If someone wants to make a new species, he/she has to get rid of the original species. This could be done by an event, which causes the extinction of all members of the race. This however can't be done often and the owner must list reasons, why to create a new species. (Else the new galaxy would have the same problem as the cc, where most people create a creature and abandons it after a few updates.)

6. No godmoding: I think it's rather clear, what's meant here. No player may wipe out whole races or destroy inhabited planets etc., if he/she didn't have asked the owner for permission. Also intergalactic races are prohibited, as they could be too powerful and break rule #1. Timetravel belongs to godmoding too.

7. Template: To prevent mixing up the cc with the new galaxy, each thread, which belongs to the new galaxy, has to be marked with a [NG] in front of it. For example: '[NG] The Qwertyans' or '[NG] RP: Quest for the Holy Snail'

8. Requirements: For a sapient being to build a civilisation, it has to have the following traits covered:
  • Ability to manipulate its surroundings (to make tools)
  • Ability to communicate (to pass memories and ideas to the next generation)
  • As well as reproduction (to prevent extinction) and diet (build biomass)

9. BS-Checking: To provide a certain amount of quality in the New Galaxy, each species has to pass the BS-Checking. The Checking is done by so-called BS-Checkers. There are usually 3 of them, but their number can change. (Though it's unlikely) Right now, the three BS-Checkers are Oviraptor, Flisch and Huckbuck. These BS-Checkers will be able to approve species. Only approved species are able to RP. As long, as a species isn't approved it must be treated as non-existant in-game. (For example, it can't be referenced in an RP, etc.)

These were all rules I could think of right now, some might be added later.
I don't really know, if there should be opened a new subforum, which could be helpfull to prevent the forums from getting mixed up, but GS also said, that he won't do many subforums.

Well, that's all from me for the moment. Now it's your turn to post suggestions and your opinions.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:56:01 am by Flisch »

There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: Attention, a suggestion!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:40:43 pm »
This topic is uber-offensive.  I'm not just raising my post count.  I'm interested in storytelling.  We need no restart.  Goodbye.

The above comment is fail, please ignore it.

I'm all for this idea, It's not like you can't go back to the old galaxy if you don't like it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:46:05 am by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »
This topic is uber-offensive.  I'm not just raising my post count.  I'm interested in storytelling.  We need no restart.  Goodbye.

Did you read the post? He just wants to make a new community universe and invites everyone to join. If you do not then you do not have to. Just like OMYL before it.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline woohoojiffylube

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • Watching and waiting is harder than it seems
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 03:48:07 pm »
I'm all for this new system, I just have a question. I'm currently in the process of creating a race that I haven't RPed with yet. Would I have to make a completely new race for this new system, or could I use this race in the new system? (I'm not sure where I'm going to use my race, I just want to know what options are open to them)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:10:21 pm »
I'm wondering the same thing as woohoojiffylube.

My H'qur are plenty alien, I hope, and I have already "moved" my other races elsewhere. Long story as to why, though.

Best case scenario, we could make another board, or possibly another forum.

Also... By "original" or "Plausible" creatures, can we do something that would make Spore go "OMGWTFBBQ?" I mean planimals, tentical masses, mineral-based aliens, liquid life-forms, the works. No need to include all of these, just wondering.

Offline tomasgaquino

• Gorf Goon
  • Now that's deadly. *psycho song*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 05:13:21 pm »
I am willing to support this, that's for sure. In fact, I also thought the CC needed a motivational boost. And it would be great if the older members joined this too, let's see how this comes.

Hm, I'm not sure whether this would be the point, as the idea is on reviving the CC itself.

Ah, please...  ::)

I'm all for this new system, I just have a question. I'm currently in the process of creating a race that I haven't RPed with yet. Would I have to make a completely new race for this new system, or could I use this race in the new system? (I'm not sure where I'm going to use my race, I just want to know what options are open to them)

I think it should be open to races that haven't been RP'd yet, and only those.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:23:55 pm »
I could be up for this.  I have at least half a dozen ideas for intelligent creatures that I haven't gotten to yet, I suppose I could spare one.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:23:17 pm »
though I agree with most of the things about how its very messy and diluded, rule one and five are total crap and ruin the entire thing.

flish just lost +6 charm in my book

the point, people, is to enjoy this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 10:26:09 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:41:09 pm »
though I agree with most of the things about how its very messy and diluded, rule one and five are total crap and ruin the entire thing.

flish just lost +6 charm in my book

the point, people, is to enjoy this.

Why? Rule 1 is the BEST rule. I agree completely with Flisch.

Hm, I'm not sure whether this would be the point, as the idea is on reviving the CC itself.
be open to races that haven't been RP'd yet, and only those.

Yea, we should keep this on Gamingsteve.

I have one question, who will be BS checker? You Flisch?
@davidramnero

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:47:06 pm »
A board of judges.

I nominate Darth and Flisch.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 01:46:17 am »
I'm all for it. However, I'd prefer to do a reset version of the Has'ri. I know it's not what Flisch asked, but I've been thinking about re-doing the Has'ri to more consisely with the CAS, etc.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
I like this idea, but due to being busy I can't join in right away.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 08:27:17 am »
well, I've tried it before, it worked out for a week. ((From the start, people?))
Maybe If I made the current members admins we could be able to fix it up for this.

After about 2 minutes of editing, I present the new from the start:

http://fromthestart.proboards61.com/index.cgi
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:46:45 am by blitzonator »

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 09:38:12 am »
Its an interesting idea, but has its issues, and I certainly am not interested myself in jumping to another forum or switching between two galaxies.

Theres nothing wrong with the RP aside from the old fart guard having gotten bored of their races and moved off.

As for the god-modding noobs, I just ignore their races existence. :)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:40 am »
I'm all for this. I miss the good old days, with mah Omic.

But since the Mufaloe haven't gone near any of the other species, of which 80% is pure crap, I'd love them to be in this new galaxy.
No way dude, you're trolling me.