Author Topic: Rumors of a new super mario rpg?  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
Rumors of a new super mario rpg?
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:12:55 am »
I've read somethings and supposedly Square enix is going to remake super mario rpg legend of the seven stars for the nintendo ds.

Anybody got any info on it?

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: Rumors of a new super mario rpg?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:58:26 am »
That was an april fools joke if I'm right :P

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:59:49 am »
Even if it was a "serious" rumor I doubt it would happen, as Paper Mario was pretty much the sequel to Mario RPG.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:04:23 am »
actually it wasn't paper mario it was the mario and luigi game on the gba

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:56 am »
Actually we are both right.

Quote from: Wikipedia.com

Officially, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars does not have a direct sequel, especially in terms of a sequel based on the original game's plot. Considering to be its thematic and, according to Adam Sessler of X-Play, a “spiritual sequel”, two successive RPG-themed Mario series, the Paper Mario series and the Mario & Luigi series, followed certain conventions established in the original. For example, the use of "Flower Points" instead of Magic Points, timed action commands during battles, and the collection of the seven stars. In fact, Nintendo originally titled Paper Mario as Super Mario RPG 2.Square's involvement in the original game made direct sequels legally impossible without Square's permission, involvement, or both, so Nintendo changed the title to Paper Mario.[30] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga did feature the Geno doll, with "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Character "Geno", reserved by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD." in the end credits.

Some of the game's team members, including some from Square, went on to work on the Mario & Luigi series. These developers include the two directors Yoshihiko Maekawa and Chihiro Fujioka, as well as music composer Yoko Shimomura. However, they provided different styles and mechanics than those of Super Mario RPG.

Various locations and characters from the game appear in the children's book Mario and the Incredible Rescue released by Scholastic in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG

Also it has information on the rumor Kaizer is talking about:
Quote from: Wikipedia
On Wednesday, November 8, 2006, Mark Bozon of IGN provided an updated list of 2007 video game titles for Wii and wrote, “When it comes to gathering clues for potential Virtual Console titles, Nintendo isn't always the best source to get answers from. The company has its priorities during this holiday season, and for that reason fans have been looking elsewhere for details in regard to what the Wii's unique retro catalog will offer. The ESRB (Entertainment Software Ratings Board) has already helped us confirm multiple titles expected to hit Wii early next year, and we've received an updated list just this morning.”

In the fall of 2007, The Virtual Console Archive changed the release information from “ESRB rated” to “(No longer) ESRB rated”, meaning the ESRB rated the game, but since removed it. However, The Virtual Console Archive does list the price at 800 Wii Points.

On Friday, November 23, 2007, RPG Magazine’s issue number 5 wrote, “Square-Enix is considering bringing back Super Mario RPG by making a sequel on the DS. The sequel would include more characters from the Final Fantasy universe.” However, there has been no such confirmation from either Nintendo or Square Enix.

So yeah.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:48:26 am »
So in other words if square does make a sequel its going to be more like mushroom kingdom hearts?

:(

I want to play high res geno darn it!!!