Author Topic: Thinking of getting an Xbox 360 - haven't owned a console for years!  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I haven't been around here for a while, but anyway... I was round a mate's house with some other people, and we were playing his Xbox 360 which I must admit I was very impressed with.  The controls were sleek and comfortable, and considering I'm frankly terrible at games like Halo 3 on consoles and that I hadn't played video games for a good 6 months or so properly I picked it up really fast.  I was really enjoying it, and what with games like GTA4 and Soul Calibur 4 coming out imminently, it feels like a good time to be picking myself up one of these gems which don't need to be updated to get the most out of games, and which I am guaranteed quality with.

Is it worth forking out an extra 200 or so for an HDTV along with the console?  And which console should I get?  I'm leaning towards the Premium package because of the hard drive which comes with it, as it's only 30-40 more expensive than the Arcade package and those hard drives are stupidly expensive if you buy them independently.

So yeah, anyone's more knowledgeable opinions on the Xbox 360 and what I should be spending my money on would be welcome.  Cheers!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of getting an Xbox 360 - haven't owned a console for years!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:18:57 am »
Is it worth forking out an extra 200 or so for an HDTV along with the console?

Honestly, I'd say it isn't unless you're planning on using the HDTV for other things (like real TV and films). It's not a huge jump in visuals, but it is in terms of cash.

Also, my advice would be to get the premium; you'll wish you had when you come to fork out for a HDD separately.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:21:45 am »
I would say it is defiantly worth getting the HDTV for it. The difference can be quite astonishing.

If you can find one of the newer consoles (a good indication is if it has a HDMI port) then I would pick it up. The older ones are still rather prone to break down.
And get the hard drive. Even if you don't play a lot it is gonna be hell to download anything, or save for that matter.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:39:04 am »
.....If you can find one of the newer consoles (a good indication is if it has a HDMI port) then I would pick it up. The older ones are still rather prone to break down....

I believe the premiums with the HDMI port is the Falcon board. It's basically a complete redesign, so it shouldn't red ring.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:33:27 pm »
Exactly.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 07:57:59 pm »
Is it worth forking out an extra 200 or so for an HDTV along with the console?

Honestly, I'd say it isn't unless you're planning on using the HDTV for other things (like real TV and films).

I would have to agree with Daxx here. While HDTV is a nice convenience, it isn't necessary, so if you aren't using it to its full potential for its price, it may not be worth it.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:41:42 am »
Also, don't mod your X360 if you're going to buy one, you'll need the warrant if you're unlucky...>>>>me<<<<

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:47 am »
Thanks guys, looks like it's the Premium version for me then!  Although my controller for my TV doesn't allow me to get onto A/V, although my Freeview television box does.  Is there any way I can get around this once I've disconnected my box from my TV and connected the Xbox360?  The one thing I'd hate is to buy the console then be unable to play it because I can't get onto the right channel!

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:37:49 am »
Thanks guys, looks like it's the Premium version for me then!  Although my controller for my TV doesn't allow me to get onto A/V, although my Freeview television box does.  Is there any way I can get around this once I've disconnected my box from my TV and connected the Xbox360?  The one thing I'd hate is to buy the console then be unable to play it because I can't get onto the right channel!

Really? There isn't an "input select" on your TV remote? That's really weird.

I'm not sure a way around that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:35:27 pm by Fink »

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:09:02 pm »

Really? There isn't an "impute select" on your TV remote? That's really weird.

I'm not sure a way around that.

What's "impute select"?  No there was originally on my TV's remote, but I dropped it in water or something & it never worked again, so I had to use a really old Toshiba controller instead, which doesn't have an A/V button.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 01:10:24 pm »
It's spelled Input Select on my remote.

Or you could just get a universal remote, they're fairly cheap.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 01:14:16 pm »

Yeah I don't have that on mine!  Looks like it's a universal remote then, lol.  Cheers.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 02:02:21 pm »

Yeah I don't have that on mine!  Looks like it's a universal remote then, lol.  Cheers.

It may also be possible on older TVs to reprogam one of the unused channels to pick up the input. That doesn't work on a lot of newer ones, though. You're better off with a new remote.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:22 pm »
I think I've found a way of sorting it out without buying a new remote.  Still requires that I buy something but I already have this multiple connection thing that is used to switch between Freeview and a DVD player.  I'll see if that works with the console.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 02:37:07 pm »

Please note the following:

Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:37:49 PM

That is all.  :D